• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I am sure like many of the other members of this forum I have a child in college. Recently I did something that I do out of habit, rotate, restock and check out the preparedness kit I send with them to college. Which made me think to remind all of my clients and now all of you about.

That being prepare your child(ren) to survive. Give them the supplies, tools and knowledge they need to get through a crisis while they are away. Help them develop the know how and skills to make it on their own.

I have included a simple list of things that I put into the kit for my child as well as other information, printed info, maps, etc..

Make sure they know what each item is for, how to use it, when to use it and what to do. Help them develop a good sense of situational awareness and make sure they never leave a safe zone without a plan on how to return.

Preparedness Kit for College Students

The Essentials

• Water - Pack a three-day supply. one gallon per person per day.
    • Water purification tablets.
    • Water straw
    • First aid kit – containing ibuprofen, aspirin, adhesive bandages, antibiotic/ burn ointment, sterile gauze pads, etc.
    • A first aid handbook.
    • Extra prescription medications if they take any.
    • Extra clothing appropriate for the climate and season
    • Food - Items with a long shelf life that they have tried and like. Food that takes little or no preparation that has good nutritional value.
    • Extra blanket(s) or pillows.
    • Flashlight with extra batteries.
    • Radio, AM/FM/Weather with extra batteries.
    • Extra pair of contacts or eyeglasses.
    • Fire extinguisher, small ABC.
    • Any Out-of-state person's contact info, phone numbers.
    • Extra set of car keys.
    • Cash and change, could add some silver.
    • Waterproof matches and candles.
    • Some form of personal identification, copy of birth certificate, passport, state ID.

Safety & Comfort

• Sturdy shoes, broken in giving them ability to walk a good distance
    • Face mask - N95 rating, suggest multiples
    • Change of clothing.
    • Knife, razor blades, scissors.
    • Matches in a waterproof container.
    • Tent/tarp.
    • Area map, map of route home
    • Address/phone directory for friends and family.
    • Books and playing cards.
    • Rain gear
    • Communication kit:
      • Paper, pens/pencils/markers.
      • Two way radios, FRS/GRMS, HAM if licensed
      • Cell phone, spare pre-paid with card and charger.

Sanitation Supplies

• Toilet paper.
    • Antibacterial hand sanitizer.
    • Bar soap/liquid detergent.
    • Paper towels.
    • Toothpaste and toothbrushes.
    • Feminine hygiene products.
    • Trash can/large trash bags.
    • Shampoo.
    • Bath towels.

Cooking

• Plates, cups, bowls.
    • Paper towels.
    • Aluminum foil.
    • Utensils (knife, fork, spoon).
    • Pot with lid
    • Stainless steel bottle with lid
    • Camping stove and fuel. Remember to never use a camping stove indoors.

Tools & Supplies

• Duct tape.
    • Contractor bags / plastic sheeting
    • Tool kit: screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, crowbar, adjustable wrench.
    • Heavy-duty gloves.
    • Crank flashlight, radio cell phone charger
    • Backpack large enough for essential items in case you have to bug out.

Reminders

• All of these items can be kept in large Rubbermaid® storage container and stored in a closet or under a bed.
    • Store water in a separate container.
    • Check your Preparedness Kit every semester to ensure that none of your items have expired and to rotate clothing for season.
    • Place items in plastic bags that should not be wet.
    • Have a predetermined rally point in the area or where family members will be able to come get you if the need arises.
    • Have predetermined routes from college to home, at least 3. Make sure your maps and information support all three.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I recommend making sure that the routes are memorized and that additional routes can be selected if need be based on understanding topography and map reading rather than rote memorization and especially not on markings on the map which could lead unauthorized persons right to your location.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good luck with that list, a lot of it is banned by iu residence.

My first orientation experience at iu when my son started there made me feel like going down to the lectern and kicking the speakers in the butt.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    With my meal plan at Purdue I get a few dozen swipes at "on the go" which gets me pre-packaged items.

Not exactly nutritious, but it allows me to build up a stash of pop-tarts, candy bars, and other high calorie long expiration crap.

My water heater is also in the dorm room so there's a source of water, albeit less than ideal. I keep bottled on hand anyways.

Camp stove and fuel probably isn't allowed with university guidelines. Smoking is allowed on campus though, so a small grill could easily be rigged with a grill grate ($7 online), a few bricks, whatever you can find that burns, and your choice of what to light it with.

Gotta have plans B, C, and D.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Good luck with that list, a lot of it is banned by iu residence.

My first orientation experience at iu when my son started there made me feel like going down to the lectern and kicking the speakers in the butt.

I completely understand and agree, my daughters orientation was more about that damn Poke'mon GO crap and Money than anything else.

I could understand something like the camp stove and fuel being on a ban list but what else are you referring to?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    • Any Out-of-state person's contact info, phone numbers.

This is a big one. How many people know 1/4 of the contact info stored in their phones?

I suggest printing a hard copy of your contact info every so often. I used to know people's phone numbers, but now if my phone goes dead, I am largely out of luck.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I completely understand and agree, my daughters orientation was more about that damn Poke'mon GO crap and Money than anything else.

I could understand something like the camp stove and fuel being on a ban list but what else are you referring to?
    The knife for sure. At least any pocket knife that looks like a weapon. Weapons in general are banned on most campuses.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If your college students are able to have a vehicle on campus, some of the more "frowned upon" items can be kept in the trunk. And under a blanket. Or perhaps individually prepared and stashed in/around/under the spare tire. Granted, this may be seen if there's ever a need to change a tire.

Also for this stuff - if there's a chance that your dorm room will be searched by Res. Life for drugs/alcohol violations - the stuff will be found. And if prohibited items are found in the due course of the search - then they'll be disciplined for those items, too.

If one keeps their A) nose clean and B) mouth shut - one can keep any number of things in one's room and no one will ever know (hopefully maintenance won't accidentally stumble upon it during routine inspection/maintenance during school breaks).

Top Bottom