• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've not personally done it but have seen a number of youhoo tube videos on the subject.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    psa-ar10-lower.jpg

This like the reciever that I have bought from PSA and doing a two tone black/FDE look...aside from the safe being a white color and the fire being a red color, what color should I make the rest of the stamping?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On my Glock, I use a white crayon to color over the writing, then buff over it with a cloth to rub off what isnt in the channels.

Ive seen the same thing done with nail polish. you paint over the lines with the polish, then when dry, you rub over it with acetone based remover and remove what isnt in the grooves.

I like the crayon best... its not very durable, but easy to fix. and I would think if I ever wanted to go back to all black would be easier to remove than paint.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Plan on doing this over the holiday. Went to Hobby Lobby and picked up testers model paint sticks and saw on youtube to use latex gloves to keep your skin oils off the metal and clean with both non-acetone nail polish remover and isopropyl rubbing alcohol using gun patches. Need to apply at least two coats.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Plan on doing this over the holiday. Went to hobby Lobby and picked up testers model paint sticks and saw on youtube to use latex gloves to keep your skin oils off the metal and clean with both non-acetone nail polish remover and isopropyl rubbing alcohol using gun patches. Need to apply at least two coats.

Does nail polisher remover and rubbing alcohol ruin the black finish on the reciever?

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I used Hoope's #9 solvent to remove the excess paint, and I thinned the paint with Testors enamel thinner so it would flow in the print more evenly. It takes a lot of clean cloths patched to get all the paint off, so just be a little bit patience.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used a sharp tooth pick to apply the paint. Then used an old t shirt cut up into small squares wet with thinner to do a quick wipe over the letters. That will clean the side of the gun leaving paint into the lettering.

Used to do this on engine cases on dirt bikes and motorcycles back in the day.

Its not hard and fixable if you screw up. Take your time and it will look nice. I did a Panther Arms about ten years ago with Rustoleum and it still looks like new today.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    I use Lacquer-Stik Paintstick that I get from Amazon. It's super easy. Just push it into the lines, and wipe off the excess.

Lacquer-Stik Paintstick, White - House Paint - Amazon.com
    [h=2]Product Description[/h] [h=3][/h] Specially formulated paint in stick form designed to color-brighten stamped or engraved lines and lettering. Paint stays flexible, expands and contracts with the surface. Contains no solvents. Long-lasting will not rub off or smear. No mess or waste, eliminates dripping brushes and paint spills.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    On my Glock, I use a white crayon to color over the writing, then buff over it with a cloth to rub off what isnt in the channels.

Ive seen the same thing done with nail polish. you paint over the lines with the polish, then when dry, you rub over it with acetone based remover and remove what isnt in the grooves.

I like the crayon best... its not very durable, but easy to fix. and I would think if I ever wanted to go back to all black would be easier to remove than paint.

I did crayon, as well, on my M&P 15-22 years ago. It still looks great, and its been out in the hot sun at the range a number of times. Of course, it has never seen combat, so I can't speak to its durability in harsh environments. Only hot environments.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I did crayon, as well, on my M&P 15-22 years ago. It still looks great, and its been out in the hot sun at the range a number of times. Of course, it has never seen combat, so I can't speak to its durability in harsh environments. Only hot environments.
    I think the durability of my crayon colorfill would be the least of my worries in a combat environment. :):

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I also thought about making the logo red same as fire stamp, and the rest of the lettering white like the safe stamp....or maybe a lighter shade of grey.

Top Bottom