• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • archeryman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Have any of you guys color-filled any of your roll marks? It seems like a straight-forward process, but wanted to know if any of you had any good tips that might make it easier to do.

Also, will I have to remove any color filling prior to applying duracoat/cerakote, or will either of those apply over the paint without any problems?

Thanks again for all your help!

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Have any of you guys color-filled any of your roll marks? It seems like a straight-forward process, but wanted to know if any of you had any good tips that might make it easier to do.

Also, will I have to remove any color filling prior to applying duracoat/cerakote, or will either of those apply over the paint without any problems?

Thanks again for all your help!

Yes. I've done it to my rifles and a few handguns. It's pretty easy, just make sure to prep the surface you want to paint, to get rid of any oil residue. I use plane rubbing alcohol. I use Testors model paint, it's pretty durable and easy to clean up the extra with a little bit of Hoppes on a rag. Personnaly I would remove any of the color fill before refinishing a firearm.

archeryman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Cool, thanks for the pointers. I was wondering what you guys used to remove the excess. I'll have to try Hoppes when I get around to doing it. Are the lacquer sticks easier to use/more effective?

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Lacquer sticks are like crayons but harden when exposed to air, paint pen is totally different. If your wanting white come on up this weekend and I can take care of it in less then 5 minutes

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Lacquer sticks are like crayons but harden when exposed to air, paint pen is totally different. If your wanting white come on up this weekend and I can take care of it in less then 5 minutes

No experience, so only know what I've been reading on the web. Review on Brownells (and a couple others) say lacquer will come off during cleaning. Trying to decide if I want to try the Lacquer method or nail polish method.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    No experience, so only know what I've been reading on the web. Review on Brownells (and a couple others) say lacquer will come off during cleaning. Trying to decide if I want to try the Lacquer method or nail polish method.

Lots of color choices with the Nail Polish method :dunno:

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    There are lots of ways to do things and I think most will come off depending on the cleaning methods, I know the moly resin finish on my AAC element can came off pretty easy in my ultrasonic tank with nothing but water and dish soap.

and the lacquer sticks are available in other colors, just not as many as nail polish:n00b:

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I did mine with a paint pen from the craft section of Walmart. Used Hoppes to clean up the excess. Did it over 4 years ago on my USP and it's holding up perfectly.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've always used Crayola Crayons. Rub firmly over grooves, brush away excess crayon, then buff with a micro-fiber cloth. While buffing with the micro-fiber cloth you must often use clean portions of the cloth. Buff firmly for a few strokes then use clean spot, repeat til satisfied.

I liked the red and white on my SXP so much that I used those colors on a couple other of my long guns.

EvalBlakRyfels007_zps8bfb6ac2.jpg

EvalBlakRyfels005_zps44482cbb.jpg

EvalBlakRyfels008_zps5b19ca93.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I did mine in OD (to match the furniture) using enamel model paint. Though in this crappified photo, it looks brighter than it really is.
    Cleaned thoroughly, then brushed the paint in and wiped up immediately. Did this twice (2nd time to catch the spots that got wiped, and make it more even)
    Using crayon or something similar the first time around may be a better solution. If you decide you don't like it, you can 'undo' it more easierly.
    DSCN2841_zps1a23af8b.jpg

Top Bottom