• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I started heating with wood a couple of years ago.
    I had a Poulan chainsaw that was o.k., but nothing to write home about.

Well this spring the Poulan took a big crap.
    Running just fine, turn it off, and when I tried to start it again, absolutely zero compression.
    Next door neighbor is the local small engine guru so I took it to him.
    He pulled the starter rope a couple of times and said, "You need a new chainsaw".
    He said the Poulans, and some of the other lesser brands, will get too hot and burn a hole through the piston, or burn out the rings.

I went looking for a replacement.
    I brought home a 16" Stihl model M180 with the "Easy Start" system.
    This is simply the cats meow!

You do NOT yank on this rope.
    You are instructed to pull the rope out slowly. The starter sprocket winds up and lets go when it's got enough torque.
    Starts easy, cuts like a dream, and it's lighter than the Poulan!

Out the door for $279, and that included a 6-pack of 2-cycle engine oil, a chain, and a 2 year warranty.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Awesome, congrats on your purchase! I have two stilhs and am looking at buying a third. I currently have a 210, a 310 and looking at maybe getting a 390 this fall.

My suggestion is that if you are cutting enough to support heating your house you will want a second saw. Your 180 is your perfect saw for cutting up but you will want a larger saw to get through some of the based and you want a backup to "Cut out" if you happen to get the 180 stuck. My rule of thumb is to alway run a bar size down on the saw and run the smallest saw that will allow for the job. I bar down to cut faster a small saw so I dont wear myself out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Awesome, congrats on your purchase! I have two stilhs and am looking at buying a third. I currently have a 210, a 310 and looking at maybe getting a 390 this fall.

My suggestion is that if you are cutting enough to support heating your house you will want a second saw. Your 180 is your perfect saw for cutting up but you will want a larger saw to get through some of the based and you want a backup to "Cut out" if you happen to get the 180 stuck. My rule of thumb is to alway run a bar size down on the saw and run the smallest saw that will allow for the job. I bar down to cut faster a small saw so I dont wear myself out.

I do appreciate the advice, but my situation is somewhat different from most who cut their own firewood.
    I have access to at least 5 different properties, totaling just less than 20 acres.
    I have permission to take anything I want that is already dead, standing or down.

I have made an amateur assessment that I should be able to keep myself in seasoned firewood for the next 5 years or so, and I shouldn't have to fell a single tree.
    Cut and stack, cut and stack, then haul home what I need as I need it.

Did I tell you I'm lucky?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I dealt with crap saws for the last few years, a Ryobi that was fine for a while, and a homelite that just sucked from the word go! Last summer, after a tree fell on the front of my house, I decided I was way undersawed, so I bit the bullet and got a MS271 farm boss. I have been nothing but thrilled with it! Congrats on your new saw!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Stihl and Husqvarna seem to the ones we have had the best luck with. We heat solely with wood and cut and split a lot of trees here.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Get the premix oil/gas mix. It's expensive, but makes your saw run like it's on steroids. Also doesn't rot out the gas lines in the carb. I run it in my 3 chain saws, pole saw and weed eater. All are stihl.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Get the premix oil/gas mix. It's expensive, but makes your saw run like it's on steroids. Also doesn't rot out the gas lines in the carb. I run it in my 3 chain saws, pole saw and weed eater. All are stihl.

i have rejugged many many saws running that stuff......use 93 octane non ethanol with a good synthetic 2 cycle like this.....

Woodlandpro Synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil (6.4 Oz. Bottles - Case Of 24) | WoodlandPRO 2- Cycle Engine Oil | 2-Cycle Engine Oils | www.www.baileysonline.com.com

i have run built high HP saws on this stuff for years......have built saws for over 15 years.....

congrats on the new Stihl from a Husky guy......

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    i have rejugged many many saws running that stuff......use 93 octane non ethanol with a good synthetic 2 cycle like this.....

Woodlandpro Synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil (6.4 Oz. Bottles - Case Of 24) | WoodlandPRO 2- Cycle Engine Oil | 2-Cycle Engine Oils | www.www.baileysonline.com.com

i have run built high HP saws on this stuff for years......have built saws for over 15 years.....

congrats on the new Stihl from a Husky guy......

Not to thread jack, but this is the firs time I've ever heard of the premix causing any issues. Can you elaborate? I don't want to ruin my equipment.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    it cause a lean condition from lack of lube to the piston........ will cause piston smear which the piston smears over the rings and sticks the rings to the piston......you loose all compression and the smear aluminum on to the cylinder which can't be removed.......then you must rejug/rebuild the top end .....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Rejug a cylinder sounds like rebuilding a radial engine. Did not know chainsaw cylinders came off the case.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I have a Husqvarna 445 with a 16" bar. I have 50+ trees down on my property and a bunch that are leaning and not all the way down. I need a bigger saw and I think the 390 will be it If I switch to a Stihl. Other than the constant bar oil leak (which is common for Husqvarnas) I have not had a problem with mine and may opt for a 465 Rancher.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, but it's still no Poulan 306a.

10035545.jpg

Attachments

• 10035545.jpg
      10035545.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 2

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Listen to Bocephus and GHitch on the premium mix and premium gas. It's really not that much more expensive for the amounts you'll use, and it makes a huge difference in performance and longevity.

That said, congratulations! I've got big boys but I've found I use my little 180 twice as much. It's so much lighter, and is pretty beefy horsepower wise for the size of it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I have a Husqvarna 445 with a 16" bar. I have 50+ trees down on my property and a bunch that are leaning and not all the way down. I need a bigger saw and I think the 390 will be it If I switch to a Stihl. Other than the constant bar oil leak (which is common for Husqvarnas) I have not had a problem with mine and may opt for a 465 Rancher.

you need to clean the check valve at the oiler pump or the vent is plugged in the oil cap.......not common in my saws......i have a lot of husky's 338xp(39cc) 14" to 394xp(94cc) 36"......

pull the pump out and blow it out with carb cleaner........same with the cap......probably has a wood chip in it.....

if you need any help with husky's or any saws pm me.....

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I used to hear buddies who cut a lot of wood talk about how "fast" their saws were. I thought, well duh, all chainsaws are fast. Yeah, but some are much faster than others. IMHO, anybody who's burning wood as a primary heat source should be running a pro saw. A faster, lighter saw will save you hours of labor and the savings in wear and tear on your back is priceless. :twocents:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I used to hear buddies who cut a lot of wood talk about how "fast" their saws were. I thought, well duh, all chainsaws are fast. Yeah, but some are much faster than others. IMHO, anybody who's burning wood as a primary heat source should be running a pro saw. A faster, lighter saw will save you hours of labor and the savings in wear and tear on your back is priceless. :twocents:

i have more than a few saws turning over 14k and chain speeds over 60mph......as said cutting wood fast is good....:)

Top Bottom