• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Colorado Shooting Competition Canceled in Wake of New Gun Control Laws : The Tactical Wire

2094523.png

GRAND JUNCTION, CO - Organizers of the Rocky Mountain Western States Regional IDPA Championship, initially scheduled to take place July 4-6 in Montrose, Colorado, have announced that the match is being canceled in the wake of Colorado's recently passed gun control laws...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Understandable, but too bad.

Unfortunately, one could cancel every shooting competition henceforth in CO and the greater population wouldn't notice much. Life would go on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Understandable, but too bad.

Unfortunately, one could cancel every shooting competition henceforth in CO and the greater population wouldn't notice much. Life would go on.

Till their business owners start to go bankrupt, unemployment goes up, taxes go up.
    A lot of sportsmen have made the decision not to go.
    They pay more for their license, and they would have spent money on stuff such as food and lodging.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I agree. Now the gun manufactuers in Connecticut need to grow a pair and move somewhere more friendly, like Indiana.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Till their business owners start to go bankrupt, unemployment goes up, taxes go up.
    A lot of sportsmen have made the decision not to go.
    They pay more for their license, and they would have spent money on stuff such as food and lodging.

While I applaud such protests, businesses (like Magpul) potentially leaving Colorado, hunters going elsewhere, etc., I think we're deluding ourselves thinking all that is such a large segment of the CO economy that things can't go on with out it.

Let's look at an example. The NHL cancelled it's entire season in 2005 due to a labor dispute. The NHL's annual revenue is about $2.27 billion. Life went on. If the NHL would have died for good, life would have went on. Hockey fans would have moved on to other things.

Now, let's say the shooting industry has about a $33 billion dollar impact [1], and just for the sake of argument, that 1/50 of that is in Colorado, or $660 million. Colorado's economy is estimated to be about $248.6 bn.

So, closing down the entire shooting industry in CO would amount to effecting about 0.27% of the CO economy. A drop in the bucket.

[1] - Firearms and Ammunition Industry Economic Impact Report 2012 | NSSF

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While I applaud such protests, businesses (like Magpul) potentially leaving Colorado, hunters going elsewhere, etc., I think we're deluding ourselves thinking all that is such a large segment of the CO economy that things can't go on with out it.

The economics of the state, hell the entire nation, are already shaky.
    Out of state hunters pay a much higher fee for there licenses/permits.
    That money will have to be made up somehow.
    Losing even 5 percent of your business can be drastic.
    Each dollar less on income, means less on taxes, which has to be made up.

I'm not saying it's gonna shut down the state overnight.
    But it will nickel and dime it pretty good.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Losing even 5 percent of your business can be drastic ...

I revised and filled in some numbers. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be anywhere 5% (more like 0.27%).

We should do all we can along these lines to, nickel and dime them to death, raise public awareness, and make a point. I don't go places or do business with many due to gun issues. I hope it makes a point. Certainly makes me feel better. But, it's not going to put an economic hurt on anyone.

I'm just pointing out that it's a bigger deal to gun owners than it is to the average Joe non-gun/hunter person.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom