• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Examples like this are why I repeatedly recommend TFTs Indiana Gun Law class. Too many think that knowing how to shoot is sufficient. Knowing when to shoot and what to expect afterwards is just as important.

Yup, me to. I took it and I think every gun owner at least should take it. There is so much BS being spread around by people who think they know what they can and can't do. Guy cuts through all of it.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Jury Nullification. As a member of the Fully Informed Jurer's Association, I would vote Not Guilty and not lose a minute sleep over it. The guy could always state the man stole his car, and was a danger to society as he was driving away recklessly and had already shown he is a danger to society as he just robbed a guy and tied him up.

To quote the case from Indiana's past "We find him not guilty, and he can keep the stolen cow".

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My friend,
    This:

is why you are unlikely to have the opportunity for this:

:)

Interesting point. How would that come to be known unless the prosecutor, defense attorney, or judge were watching INGO, or are you saying that the screening process is devised to weed out anyone who can't be led by the nose?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Interesting point. How would that come to be known unless the prosecutor, defense attorney, or judge were watching INGO, or are you saying that the screening process is devised to weed out anyone who can't be led by the nose?
    He has proven that prosecuting attorneys do in fact read INGO, and there is probably others that have google.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    "Your honor he threatened my life over and over, tied me up, robbed me and said he would be back."

"Bragged about how many people he had killed and the cops where to stupid to catch him."

Only one side to this story.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Jury Nullification. As a member of the Fully Informed Jurer's Association, I would vote Not Guilty and not lose a minute sleep over it. The guy could always state the man stole his car, and was a danger to society as he was driving away recklessly and had already shown he is a danger to society as he just robbed a guy and tied him up.

To quote the case from Indiana's past "We him not guilty, and he can keep the stolen cow".

Can you tell us more about the group?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

A little of both. (As noted by RoG, there is some historical precedent there.) ;)

The jury selection process is geared to find out if people are going to have certain presumptions about the case. That's called fairness. In my trial experience (which is far less than others here), I seriously doubt someone espousing jury nullification values would make it.

It isn't that I disagree with the inherent right contained in "jury nullification." Indeed, it is fundamental to our system.

Rather, rightly or wrongly, adherents to the "jury nullification movement" are regarded a certain way. They have a certain reputation. They are likely to answer certain questions "wrong." So, the judge will either strike them from the pool, or one of the parties would.

Again, I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, just saying it is reality.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A little of both. (As noted by RoG, there is some historical precedent there.) ;)

The jury selection process is geared to find out if people are going to have certain presumptions about the case. That's called fairness. In my trial experience (which is far less than others here), I seriously doubt someone espousing jury nullification values would make it.

It isn't that I disagree with the inherent right contained in "jury nullification." Indeed, it is fundamental to our system.

Rather, rightly or wrongly, adherents to the "jury nullification movement" are regarded a certain way. They have a certain reputation. They are likely to answer certain questions "wrong." So, the judge will either strike them from the pool, or one of the parties would.

Again, I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, just saying it is reality.

I understand that sorting out identifiable biases is part of the process, so taken to its ridiculous extreme, the guy who shows up in his robe and hood for a hate crime trial is probably going to be excused, but my more serious question is the extent to which the process weeds out people who are inherently unsuited to give the case a fair hearing and the extent to which it weeds out people likely to think for themselves rather than taking spoonfed instructions without question to the extent of presenting prospective jurors with 'if, then' questions that would not be allowed for, say, confirmation hearing for judges, with the largest caveat being, 'if we prove that the defendant did X, will you vote to convict?' in a complete vacuum of context in which you can find problems with the charge relative to intent, the nature of the law in question, or the application of the law.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    :)
    Made me think of this. He didn't shoot them, but he sure as :poop: didn't let them get away.

[video=youtube;I3UFIkqx3Jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3UFIkqx3Jg[/video]

How'd I miss this story when it happened?:dunno:

To randomly shoot some guys dog in Texas is really rollin the dice, but to shoot that guy's dog? They are lucky to be alive.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ... 'if we prove that the defendant did X, will you vote to convict?' in a complete vacuum of context in which you can find problems with the charge relative to intent, the nature of the law in question, or the application of the law.
    That's the main question right there.

Prosecutor: If we prove all the elements of murder, beyond a reasonable doubt, and disproved self defense beyond a reasonable doubt, would you vote to convict?
    Prospective (honest jury nullification group member) juror : Maybe. If I think it is consistent with my moral code.

Probably not getting on the jury. We - attorneys, judges, and society - want jurors who follow the law. Jury trials are unpredictable enough already. It doesn't help when there are trump cards out there that we just don't know about.

Can you honestly say that you would feel comfortable with certain INGO members on a jury involving defendants from certain cultures?

Top Bottom