• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I just bought a colt 1911 officers 80 tonight and the gun seems to have some rust on it. I was wondering what would be the best way to take it off? Is it because someone did not oil it enough? Thanks ahead of time.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Hard to tell you what to do without pictures. A little rust is not a bad thing, and a little elbow grease and some oil should help a bit.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You might think it a silly question but is it Stainless or Blue? If blue you might try Kroil an let it set for a few hours. Easier to say if I could see it.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sorry I guys I dont have any pics right now (and unfortunately still struggle getting pics on this site, thats another issue). But I also wanted to say that it is stainless and majority of the spots are on top of the slide right behind the front sight. All this being said I finally own a 1911, despite its issues I think it was a good deal. Thanks guys for the info.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    All stainless still has some carbon content. So it will rust. Those stainless steels used by colt and springfeild tend to have high carbon content to make them hold tolerances better, as the lower carbon steels tend to be soft and gall more readily.

getem2011

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Lake County
    I just bought a colt 1911 officers 80 tonight and the gun seems to have some rust on it. I was wondering what would be the best way to take it off? Is it because someone did not oil it enough? Thanks ahead of time.

Try some clip and a soft cloth for starters. Put some elbow grease into it. if that fails an emery cloth has worked in the past for me.

Scorpsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    My two cents, don't use the steel wool. It leaves bits behind which in my experience start to rust. The CLP and cloth escallating to the Scotchbrite pads works for me.

Top Bottom