• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Still having questions about my late Fathers Collection. Here I have a Colt 57 based on a Mauser action. The person he bought it from saw fit to install a rear peep sight. Don't know why as I can't get my head low enough to get a sight picture! This rifle has nothing outstanding to speak of, however, he thought it collectable due to the Colt name. What say you? colt 57.jpg Colt 57 peep.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Colt "57" Bolt Action Rifle was manufactured for Colt in 1957 by Jefferson Manufacturing Co. also of Hartford, CT. They made about 5,000 chambered in either .243 or 30-06. It came with adjustable sights. And it's basically a Fabrique Nationale Mauser action, barreled by Jefferson and matched with an American Walnut Monte Carlo Stock.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Thanks guys!

Double R.... I seriously doubt that these peep sights are factory stock. they HAVE to be aftermarket. Hell, I really need to jam my face down on the stock to get a sight picture - and when I do, it's most uncomfortable. I really wouldn't want to touch that thing off the way it's set up!

Big Moose... Many thanks for the info. I guess my question is - is it a collectable, or everyday beater?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks guys!

Double R.... I seriously doubt that these peep sights are factory stock. they HAVE to be aftermarket. Hell, I really need to jam my face down on the stock to get a sight picture - and when I do, it's most uncomfortable. I really wouldn't want to touch that thing off the way it's set up!

Big Moose... Many thanks for the info. I guess my question is - is it a collectable, or everyday beater?

Those peep sights seem to be factory original based on other pictures I found.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    WOW.... Well then.... I seriously think this thing has EVER been fired! yeah - they are the WORST sights I've ever seen on a rifle. I don't plan on ever shooting it, so I won't mess with the peeps.

Still - my big question... Is it a collectors? suspect not given the responses so far.
    May part with it.
    Thanks!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    WOW.... Well then.... I seriously think this thing has EVER been fired! yeah - they are the WORST sights I've ever seen on a rifle. I don't plan on ever shooting it, so I won't mess with the peeps.

Still - my big question... Is it a collectors? suspect not given the responses so far.
    May part with it.
    Thanks!

per google, the rifle is not overly collectible. Gunbroker has a rifle with the same name (not sure if it's actually the same model) listed for $700. Another forum (2010) opined that it's value was $300-$400. If it were me I'd try to mount a scope on it and keep it as a deer rifle.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Thanks 1nderbeard - I did see that one, and nah, it actually looks to have a snazzier stock than mine. Mine is drilled and tapped for a scope rail , but I really don't want to mess with all of that. May give it to the kid or sell it when I get to my requisite 50 posts. No rush as this all is kinda fun. I have a No.1 in 460 S&W for deer. I call it my howitzer!

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    All, I have sold the 30-06 Colt 57 to a younger person who fell in love with it. Hmmm... Typically they are all about the black rifles. I'm hoping he plans on keeping it forever.

Top Bottom