• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Might as well come out with it: I am a Colt fanboy. I have an unreasonable amount of Colt AR-15s--6721s, 6920s, AR-15A4s, 6960s, 6940s, inter alia. Colt has made a series of mistakes, really stupid, awful mistakes.

If I were to win the lottery, I would buy Colt and move it to Lafayette, Indiana and then salt the ground in CT.

Colt makes a fantastic stick, but so do what, a score of other makers now?

At the same time I was scooping up one of the latest M6920s last weekend, I got to drool over, er, handle a Daniel Defense. And we as the end users would not suffer if Colt disappeared.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Might as well come out with it: I am a Colt fanboy. I have an unreasonable amount of Colt AR-15s--6721s, 6920s, AR-15A4s, 6960s, 6940s, inter alia. Colt has made a series of mistakes, really stupid, awful mistakes.

If I were to win the lottery, I would buy Colt and move it to Lafayette, Indiana and then salt the ground in CT.

At the same time I was scooping up one of the latest M6920s last weekend, I got to drool over, er, handle a Daniel Defense. And we as the end users would not suffer if Colt disappeared.

Thank you. This is the most rational response I've read.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thank you. This is the most rational response I've read.

Colt has the TDP, I get it. That gets a lot of play with guys with engineering/machining backgrounds. However, I always point out, well, we have had 60 years to reverse engineer things now.:D

A sword has two sides. TDP is awesome but does not allow for R&D. That is what killed Colt, complete lack of R&D. They had the M6960 but that took years of fighting to release to you nasty, dirty civilians who do not pay with checks that say United States Treasury. Colt has become ZIL, willingly. I understand the resentment, if not outright hatred, completely.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am with drill.

Converting all of Big Army's M4s to M4A1s had to be an all hands moment. I heard 500K units. Amazing.

Here's one that was retrofitted to M4A1 with auto vs burst. I guess just x'ing stuff out saved the need for a new receiver! In the mix of the rifles i've seen in trainees hands between the Colt and the FN's, the Colt has definitely had the better finish.

xBzA0SC.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's one that was retrofitted to M4A1 with auto vs burst. I guess just x'ing stuff out saved the need for a new receiver! In the mix of the rifles i've seen in trainees hands between the Colt and the FN's, the Colt has definitely had the better finish.

xBzA0SC.jpg

I always envision the M4=>M4A1 "team" being three guys and 1 of them has a clipboard with all the serial numbers and a giant pile of M4s and a pile of M4A1s.

"Done with number XXXXXXXXX, Fred."

""Check, Jim."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    . . . the mix of the rifles i've seen in trainees hands between the Colt and the FN's, the Colt has definitely had the better finish.

The FN finishes that I have seen (I am CERTAIN you have seen many more) all look like there were sprayed, from across the street with a garden hose from Dollar General.

*Meanwhile, in South Carolina at FNH*

"Bubba, you go run this here rack of M4s across the street and I'll whomp 'em with this here black dye, all right then?"

"Ok, Bobby Lee, I'll fixing to run oft."

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington

Nothing wrong with being a fan boy! I have a few brands I idolize that, if I'm being totally honest, have their own issues. We all have certain things we like and probably hold in higher esteem than is warranted by the facts, it's all part of the hobby imo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nothing wrong with being a fan boy! I have a few brands I idolize that, if I'm being totally honest, have their own issues. We all have certain things we like and probably hold in higher esteem than is warranted by the facts, it's all part of the hobby imo.

Well-stated, I concur. I think the real problem is when we allow our fan-boyism to close our minds. Good example, me.

Never though much about Daniel Defense. Just thought they were another Southern Johnny-Come-Lately and rolled my eyes.

Then my buddy got an M4A1 (clone, Title I) DD as part of their Long Tab program (he was 18C). Man, did I learn my lesson. Stupidly I had written them off, it was a bad move on my part.

Now I want a couple.:D

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    To be fair, finishes on contract rifles are a corner to cut. They are selling them at 4 or 5 per rifle that doesn't leave much meat on the bone for inspecting finish blems

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The FN finishes that I have seen (I am CERTAIN you have seen many more) all look like there were sprayed, from across the street with a garden hose from Dollar General.

*Meanwhile, in South Carolina at FNH*

"Bubba, you go run this here rack of M4s across the street and I'll whomp 'em with this here black dye, all right then?"

"Ok, Bobby Lee, I'll fixing to run oft."

This FN looks pretty good but had to be pretty much right out of the crate and given to a trainee.

kWlEUDw.jpg

Top Bottom