• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flintman50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    NW Indiana - lake Co
    Just looking for some fundamental advice on my first AR purchase.....any comments appreciated. Here are the assumptions:

a.) I am buying a colt just because.....
    b.) Want a carry handle
    c.) I have approx. $1K to spend

Can it be done and what model do you recommend? - I don't need alot of stuff on it right now. Any advice on barrel length, hbar, stock, etc.?

Thanks
    BR

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    I myself just started looking into my first AR. I found a great write up about a lot of features if you want to gather more information for yourself at the following link:

So You Want to Buy an AR-15 - Features to Consider

I, probably along with many others here, would have to first ask what you want to use it for and how you want to use it, i.e. adding an optic versus sticking with iron sights, using it for hunting, plinking, etc. With more information, I am sure you can get better help.

With what you have posted in mind, Colt makes great firearms, nobody would disagree there, and this is true with the AR as well. The model that comes to mind in Colt's line up would be the 6920 I believe, although this might be just above the price point you were looking at.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Unless it's to be a target/varmint gun don't get an hbar. For plinking, hunting, casual paper punching and defense there is no need for the extra barrel weight.
    A carry handle? How about a flat top with a removable carry handle? More options with that configuration.
    The 6720 lightweight is a nice carbine. There a different versions of it now.
    There has been a little talk lately about a new 6700 that apparently isn't out yet. From what I read the price will be well under $1,000

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    dont buy because of name. Colt is no better than the other slog of ar15 builders out there aside form a few with bad reps. Build it. get what you want at a price you can live with.

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    For most versatility and future upgrades get a detachable carry handle, 16" lightweight barrel. It is unlikely that you will find that in a Colt at your price point. My gunsmith swears by S&W for the price. I've had good luck with Rock River.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The above recommended Colt 6920 can be had for approximately $1000, and is nearly impossible to beat for price and availability.

Aside from that is not want an HBAR for anything. 16" barrel fits 223 Rem quite well. The stock on the Colt is serviceable, though its cheek weld is lacking especially with iron sights. Shoot it and see, and if it doesn't fit you've dozens of options to replace it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The above recommended Colt 6920 can be had for approximately $1000, and is nearly impossible to beat for price and availability.

Aside from that is not want an HBAR for anything. 16" barrel fits 223 Rem quite well. The stock on the Colt is serviceable, though its cheek weld is lacking especially with iron sights. Shoot it and see, and if it doesn't fit you've dozens of options to replace it.

X10 ;)

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I put this in another thread but I'll post it here as well, this is what I ordered last week, should be in this week, best deal I've found on a Colt AR. It's the LE6920MP-FDE which comes with all MOE gear, including BUS, stock, grip, trigger guard, forend, vertical grip, and 2 MOE mags. Comes to $1,069 shipped to your FFL which I think is a great deal considering all you're getting. They had the standard black furniture as well for the same deal it it's sold out.

Colt Model LE6920MP Law Enforcement Carbine with Magpul MOE Furniture - Dark Earth

COLE6920MP-DE.jpg

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I put this in another thread but I'll post it here as well, this is what I ordered last week, should be in this week, best deal I've found on a Colt AR. It's the LE6920MP-FDE which comes with all MOE gear, including BUS, stock, grip, trigger guard, forend, vertical grip, and 2 MOE mags. Comes to $1,069 shipped to your FFL which I think is a great deal considering all you're getting. They had the standard black furniture as well for the same deal it it's sold out.

Colt Model LE6920MP Law Enforcement Carbine with Magpul MOE Furniture - Dark Earth

COLE6920MP-DE.jpg
    This is the exact AR-15 (in FDE) I have been considering for over 6 mo., just do not know where and how often I would be able to shoot it.

:ingo:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    This is the exact AR-15 (in FDE) I have been considering for over 6 mo., just do not know where and how often I would be able to shoot it.

:ingo:

I wanted to get a good military style semi-auto rifle now before any crazy stuff goes down with legislation, I don't actually "NEED" it, but makes a great SHTF weapon. I'm really hoping ECPR allows .223, I know there has been a lot of talk about it.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Oh man. I saw this link on M4C a year back or so and they were selling 6520's for 899. I should have gotten one.

6520 weighs 5.5 lbs unloaded I think, or something ridiculous. Never worry about those pesky $500 optics. Never worry about anything but mags, a sling, and a light. And even after all that, it's still lighter than a gallon of milk.

6520!!! Carry handle is built in!

richwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Lebanon
    I love my Colt M4. I got mine a couple of months ago and love the way it shoots. Can't go wrong with a Colt. I know you can build one cheaper, and with the same quality, but I just wanted a Colt.

LE6920MPFDE-1.jpg

hannibal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I have a Colt Tactical and love it! Was going to buy a Smith and Wesson M&P because i wanted a light AR, But saw the Colt and it was just as light and it shoots great! I also own a Ruger 556 and it's a liitle on the heavy side but still shoots great and accurate, none of them has jammed or ftab.

Top Bottom