• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Nostalgia struck when I found one of the older Colt Delta Elite 10mm at a local shop. My Dad had one of the originals-it's now my brother's gun.

10mm seems to have fallen by the wayside, more or less replaced by the .40 S&W if I'm correct. Is 10mm ridiculously expensive now? I can't find pricing on it online anywhere.

The gun I'm considering appears to be unmodified, but doesn't have the original box or paperwork. The finish and overall condition is very nice. Even if I only shoot this one occasionally, is there anything that screams "Don't buy it!"?

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    The fact that Colt is making a new version as of later this year lead me to believe that there must be some sort of following on the guns.

I like something a bit different and that's what attracted me to this gun.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    10mm is still quite popular, but is usually on par or a little more expensive than .45 ACP... Granted you can find it.

The .40 S&W was adopted by the FBI because smaller-framed shooters (i.e. females, small men) couldn't handle a full-charge 10mm.

Personally, I don't see any huge tactical or ballistic advantage in the 10mm, but I respect the caliber.

For me though, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP are sufficient.

If you have an original Colt in 10mm I'm guessing it is worth a significant amount...

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    10mm is still quite popular, but is usually on par or a little more expensive than .45 ACP... Granted you can find it.

The .40 S&W was adopted by the FBI because smaller-framed shooters (i.e. females, small men) couldn't handle a full-charge 10mm.

Good info on the ammunition--thanks!

I've read the same thing about .40 S&W and it makes sense.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I've had my Delta Elite for about 17 years. I too believe there is a considerable collector following for them. I do enjoy shooting mine but the price of ammo is pretty high. I haven't bought any in several years, but then again I haven't shot it in a long time either. It is a fine weapon though!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    The Colt Delta Elite is one handgun that I regret selling.:bash:

Shooting at steel plates it hit harder than the .40, .45 and even the .357 mag. The ammo was always a little more expensive but it was worth it.

I have been gotten back into 1911s and really miss that Delta!!!:xmad:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I own several 10mm's and am eagerly awaiting the Fortis, a Bren Ten clone (due out in 2009).

I have a Delta Elite and a Delta Gold Cup, they are collectible but mine are carried and shot VERY often. If you buy it PLEASE replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 20# unit. That way the Delta does not beat itself to death.

I have taken deer and feral hogs with mine, no trouble. For carry ammo I either use Winchester 175gr. silvertips or any Double Tap Ammo load, they are scortchers.

If you need any help, just PM me.

BK6

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    If you buy it PLEASE replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 20# unit. That way the Delta does not beat itself to death.
    BK6

That reminds me of the only issue I had with my Delta, the front sight insert came out during recoil. Just the "white dot" insert, so I painted the remaining "hole" with white paint and went on.

But yes, they recoil very hard and I am sure that its hard on the springs and frame. My Delta had the "dual" recoil spring too.....

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got a Gock 20 and I love the 10mm cartridge. I think the recoil issue is blown way out of proportion. Just today I shot my Sig 2022 (.40), XD45 and new subcompact M&P (.40) alongside my Glock loaded with 180 gr. Double Tap ammo. I have to say the recoil on my Glock 10mm seems the same as my XD45. The Glock recoils more back than up, which makes it easy to get it back on target.

As far as ballistics go, I have to respectfully disagree with InJoker above. The power from 180 gr. Double Tap ammo is significantly more than a .45 or .40. But the great thing about 10mm is that you can "cool" down the ballistics with less powerful ammo. The versatility is almost unmatched.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    10mm fan

Have shot 10mm's ever since they became available, have Glocks and Colts. Double tap and Cor bon load their ammo to full potential. Shoot pepper poppers at 15-20 yds with a 9, a 45, a 40 and then a full power 10 and you will see the difference. The 10 slams that steel to the ground. The 10mm has a following just like the 41 mag and 16 ga. shotguns. Have also shot MP-5's in 10, most impressive.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :rockwoot:

Might's well say 'Magnum' round for auto's......it be a bad***,hahaha!
    .357 cain't get close to it,and the .45's no match,ballistic wise,LOL....some full-house .10 loads (Buffalo Bore,etc....) will go better'n 1400 fps ,and hit the scale at ......dunno....?......close to 1000 ft lbs of energy?......:):

Only thing I see touch'n it or x'ceed'n it would be......?..... .460 Rowland?

:cool:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy has a first edition Delta. Shot it at 50 yards during a get together. Went downrange and you could cover my group with the palm of your hand. Hot loads too, crappy sights (but thankfully a sunny day).

Ever since then I thought that'd be a good hog gun, would like to see a long slide with Bomar :)
    (always liked the looks of the Springfield Omega)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Have shot 10mm's ever since they became available, have Glocks and Colts. Double tap and Cor bon load their ammo to full potential. Shoot pepper poppers at 15-20 yds with a 9, a 45, a 40 and then a full power 10 and you will see the difference. The 10 slams that steel to the ground. The 10mm has a following just like the 41 mag and 16 ga. shotguns. Have also shot MP-5's in 10, most impressive.

This thread is 4 1/2 years old! Do you think he's still trying to decide? :laugh:

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Precision ammo sells reloads, they make reliable stuff, and there're out of Hobart IN. Decent pricing. Underwood ammo sells some pretty hot 10mm loads using .40 gold dot heads and star brass.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Delte Elite and a Delta Gold Cup Stainless, as well as other 10mm pistols and revolvers. I love the guns and the 10mm round, when loaded to it's potential, is a great round.

Top Bottom