• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Hello everybody. I'm trying to identify a Colt Detective Special (pictures below) for a friend. The serial number appears to be 934924, but that doesn't seem to correspond to any of the serial numbers I can find online for a year of manufacture. Any information that any of you can provide would be helpful. I believe its a .38 snub nose.

Thanks,

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's one of the earlier versions before the shroud around the ejector rod was added. Older style grip as well which is probably why the filler was added. Detective specials are great 38s my wife carries one.:)

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Very nice gun.
    The serial number dates to 1967.

From Coltrevolver.net:

The generations of the Detective Special.
    1st generation: The Detective Special was introduced in 1927 as a variation of the Police Positive Special. These early guns had a square butt and would be the First Generation.
    2nd generation: In 1933, the butt was changed to what Colt calls "round butt," which would be the Second Generation.
    3rd generation: After World War II, the front sight was changed from round to ramped, which I would call Third Generation. These early Post-War guns had plastic stocks, which were changed back to wood in the mid-1950s.
    4th generation: In 1966, the butt frame was shortened, which is Fourth Generation.
    5th generation: In 1972, the shrouded barrel was introduced, which I count as Fifth Generation.
    6th generation: Colt redesigned the lockwork in 1995 and introduced the SF-IV, which could be called the Sixth Generation. 7th generation: The SF-IV was replaced by the DS-II in 1997, which could be called the Seventh Generation, but differed from the SF-IV in name only.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Very nice gun.
    The serial number dates to 1967.

From Coltrevolver.net:

The generations of the Detective Special.
    1st generation: The Detective Special was introduced in 1927 as a variation of the Police Positive Special. These early guns had a square butt and would be the First Generation.
    2nd generation: In 1933, the butt was changed to what Colt calls "round butt," which would be the Second Generation.
    3rd generation: After World War II, the front sight was changed from round to ramped, which I would call Third Generation. These early Post-War guns had plastic stocks, which were changed back to wood in the mid-1950s.
    4th generation: In 1966, the butt frame was shortened, which is Fourth Generation.
    5th generation: In 1972, the shrouded barrel was introduced, which I count as Fifth Generation.
    6th generation: Colt redesigned the lockwork in 1995 and introduced the SF-IV, which could be called the Sixth Generation. 7th generation: The SF-IV was replaced by the DS-II in 1997, which could be called the Seventh Generation, but differed from the SF-IV in name only.
    It's a pre-1966 gun, it has the longer grip frame, and 1967 Dick Specials had a D prefix in their serial numbers (mid 1966 through 1969).

ShortvsLongDS.jpg

Last edited:

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Interestingly, the serial number on my own Dick Spl is just 1449 units later than the one in question. Serial number 936373 no "D". It has the shorter grip frame.

I have a 6" Diamondback that the serial number starts with an "S"

According to Proofhouse the prefix "S" was never used on Diamondbacks. The "S" was used in 1978 for Detective Specials though. Does that mean my frame was intended to be made into a Dick Spl, but somehow was assembled into a 6" .38 Spl Diamondback?

I'm not convinced that Colt's records are as accurate as they claim.

100_0534.jpg

100_0541.jpg

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Interestingly, the serial number on my own Dick Spl is just 1449 units later than the one in question. Serial number 936373 no "D". It has the shorter grip frame.
    That is interesting, have you called Colt?

I have a 6" Diamondback that the serial number starts with an "S"

According to Proofhouse the prefix "S" was never used on Diamondbacks. The "S" was used in 1978 for Detective Specials though. Does that mean my frame was intended to be made into a Dick Spl, but somehow was assembled into a 6" .38 Spl Diamondback?
    Probably, the D frames were used on the Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Commando, Diamondback, Police Positive, Viper.
    I'm not convinced that Colt's records are as accurate as they claim.
    I would bet Colt's records are more accurate than the serial number lists published on the 'net, especially since they are/have been dealing with the BATF&E for years. Colt would/will use what ever parts are needed at the time of production. Something that we need to remember is, serial numbers don't really tell us a great deal anyway, just when that particular receiver was given its serial number. Receivers, barrels, etc., could set in "part bins" for years after the stamping of serial numbers.

There are documented Colt Single Action Army's from the original production run, with shipping dates of 1948, 1955, 1958, 1965 and 1966. The best example of receiving the serial number and then setting in "part bins" for years, are the last 27 first generations (1873-1940) which were shipped October 3rd, 1972. I think the closest we can come to dating, is with physical changes in the weapons (such as shorting the grip on the D frames) and with the warehousing and shipping records.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom