• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Two of the three stamps are in the metal, the worst stamp is in the wood stock. All the wood parts were weak, the stock had a number of brass pins in it to control cracks.

One stamp runs along the barrel and the other is in the receiver where the two parts meet up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tang and receiver screws showed up today, still need mag tube spring, the old one seems weak.

Looks better with it's correct wood furniture.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Western stamps in the receiver and barrel. Western is really dug into the old stock which is about gone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Shot the Lightning today for the first time, after a brief check on pistol targets I went straight to the 12 inch steel at 100 yards. Using 6 grains of Trail boss behind a Lee 200 grain cast lead bullet sized .427 it hit 10 for 10 from the off hand position. Went to the target to check the lead splashes and then shot another 10 for 10. Can't argue with that out of a 128 year old rifle. I'll replace the magazine tube spring, and call this project complete.:)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Shot the Lightning today for the first time, after a brief check on pistol targets I went straight to the 12 inch steel at 100 yards. Using 6 grains of Trail boss behind a Lee 200 grain cast lead bullet sized .427 it hit 10 for 10 from the off hand position. Went to the target to check the lead splashes and then shot another 10 for 10. Can't argue with that out of a 128 year old rifle. I'll replace the magazine tube spring, and call this project complete.:)

Thank you for saving another one. Well done sir!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Love this thread. I wonder where that rifle was before the movie company got there hands on it. Lots of history in that old girl.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Think i may have eyeballed you rifle today in a Rifleman episode. I saw the rifle and could not place where i had seen it then it dawned on me about this thread. Anyway an Englishman came over to kill ole lucas. The episode name is " a sporting chance ".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I really appreciate the find and did some checking. Unfortunately it's not our rifle, a close up of it shows a round barrel and saddle ring attached which makes it a carbine, a much more rare variation. Checking on production notes, Four Star Television which made The Rifleman series used Stembridge Weapon Rentals for the guns, I could find no mention of WCC being connected with them.

On the plus side it means that the IMFDB is wrong about the Lightning only being used in A Few Dollars More.

Everybody keep looking!

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I was afraid of that result. I only got a quick glimpse of it and didn't put 2 & 2 together till later as I only have over the air TV and had no way to replay. I went to IMFDB and couldn't find a link to update their data base.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom