• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Overall, my opinion is, there are better choices. For an inexpensive, cheap plinker, the best IMHO, is a Marlin 795. Paint it up, put some TechSights, or a Primary Arms micro red dot on it, buy some extra mags, and tear up some paper.

In the case of the Colt, proprietary mags are expensive, and of unknown availability. From a quick search, it's a Umarex rifle, and more difficult to break down than a standard AR-type rifle. Overall, I'm not impressed.

When I got tired of mediocre accuracy out of a .22lr conversion kit, and reasonably priced, dedicated .22lr uppers weren't yet prevalent, I decided on a Sig 522. It's easy to strip, and functions 100% on good ammo. It's a little more forgiving on ammo, now that it has several thousand rounds through it. Also, the muzzle is threaded, in case you ever decide you'd like to reduce your level of noise pollution. IIRC, I paid $399.

The Sig uses Black Dog magazines, of which I already had a few. That probably did affect my decision. BDM mags are less expensive, and well built. The company is also constantly innovating, and putting out improved products.

At the time I bought it, the Sig didn't come with iron sights. Since then, I've seen a set of sights for this rifle, but they were over $100. Instead, I used a $75 red dot sight from Primary Arms, that I had bought to try out on a shotgun.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Yes, spending my money, I would go with a dedicated .22 AR upper, or the Sig 522.

Mark LaRue has hinted around, about the development of a .22lr coming from their shop. I would expect it to be noteworthy, but Mark's own comment was, "Many .22lr rifles could be had for less". Essentially, being a LaRue rifle, it would have LaRue craftsmanship, and a LaRue pricetag.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I picked up a Marlin 795 recently for $125, it is a fun plinker. I wanted a M&P 15-22 but decided to spend about $300 less and the the 795.

I see that you are near Noblesville, the last time I was in Bare Arms (the new gun shop by SR 37) they had both an M&P 15-22 and a colt ar style 22, I don;t recall the prices, but if they still have them you should be able to check them out side by side

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Smith and wesson m&p 22 is a dedicated 22 rifle not just the upper and it is a true small 22 cal AR platform for 450$. Check it out

showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    I picked up a Marlin 795 recently for $125, it is a fun plinker. I wanted a M&P 15-22 but decided to spend about $300 less and the the 795.

I see that you are near Noblesville, the last time I was in Bare Arms (the new gun shop by SR 37) they had both an M&P 15-22 and a colt ar style 22, I don;t recall the prices, but if they still have them you should be able to check them out side by side

I was in there Friday and saw the Colt but didn't see the M&P. I think I will check back there. BTW, I've been in there a couple of times and like the place. Pretty good inventory for just getting started and nice guys. Don't seem to mind people just hanging out. Oh, and free candy too.:)

Top Bottom