• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok so my google fu is weak with this one. I was just given this revolver from my neighbor. All I can make out is Colt DA and then 22, 32 or 38. its chrome or nickel plated and washes out the bottom of the numbers. Its not a 22 cal, more like a 32 or 38. On the cylinder release is a V above the number 2423. on the inside of the cylinder arm is a K above the number 1009. On the inside of the frame theres a R then some space then a 4 all above the number 9374. Anyone help me figure out what this is? This is my first revolver and it does need some rust removal and a lot of cleaning up, though it appears to have been shot very little. Im not sure if the pics will show up so give me some slack.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I don't think so. After some more research I think its the model 1892. The internals are accessed thru the right side of the frame, not the left. the lanyard ring was apparently installed during a rearsenal in 1901. No idea if the plating was original or not.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    The patent dates are difficult to make out, heck I didn't even see them till my wife thought she saw writing on the top of the barrel. It loos like the dates read aug 5 1884, nov 6 1888, mar 3 xx. The last year I cant quite make out. I think it ends with a 5. The cylinder rotates counter clockwise. I did spot a r.a.c on the left rear of the frame where my right hand first thumb knuckle is. Also see it on the back of the cylinder. There are numbers under the grips also, but none look like serial numbers.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    it's a "New Service" that was nickel plate at some point......the last patent date is probably "05"....cal could be 38 LC....

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    My next question is, is there any other place that I could find the serial number on this? The one on the butt is either ground off before plating or the plating completely filled it in.

Top Bottom