• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparks408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    looking to buy a new .22 and I'm not sure what to buy a colt or m&p? I know that Mossberg is out from the get go. but i'm up in the air about the other 2. I've shot the m&p and was impressed but have not shot the colt. if u have one or the other let me know what u like or diss like about them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have spent time shooting both of them. The S&W 15-22 has some features like you can use any trigger that fits a regular AR. The bolt release really works. The Colt trigger is not easy to tune, and is so heavy it is hard to check the accuracy, so the S&W shoots better for me, esp offhand. I bought the S&W retail, even when I was able to get the Colt Wholesale.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    That abomination is a colt in name only! I've handled several and they were all crap.

The SW was by far superior to the Colt/Umarex. You only have to break the thing open to realize how big of a POS the colt is.

The SW is about a pound lighter than a normal AR and the colt 22. That being said, I still bought the Smith.

On the colt, the bolt release is just a piece of metal that is hanging loose on the left side of the rifle, it is completely useless and for show only. On the SW, it functions as it does on a real AR.

Also, on the Smith, you get a flat top upper whereas on the colt, you have the A2 style upper.

I'd buy the smith day in/ day out over the Colt/Umarex junk.

With all that being said, I own several colts but the AR 22 from Colt is junk.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I researched both when they first came out and ended up buying the Colt. Never regretted my decision, the Colt is as accurate as I am and runs flawless on any bulk ammo. One advantage the S&W has over the Colt is the ability to change the trigger and install a slidefire stock if your so inclined.

I just liked the way the way the Colt is built (aluminum lower) and handles like a true AR-15 carbine.
    Just my opinion.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    My son & I looked over the M&P 15-22's & Colt M4 22's at ZX Guns table at the Shipshewana show this past Saturday.
    I liked the looks, feel, weight & buffer tube setup on the Colt better, but couldn't bring myself to pay $600.
    We ended up buying a S&W 15-22 off ZX Guns. :yesway:

It's good to read all the positive comments on the 15-22's
    My son thought the 15-22 felt a little cheap, but I guess he's over that because he's went out plinking almost every night with it now.

Not to thread jack...but I did see another AR 22 at the show.
    Pretty sure it was, or had a Chiappa upper, looked like the polymer lower that would have accepted a 5.56/.223 upper....but someone grabbed it before I did.
    New York Arms or something...for $425 new it seemed like a bargain.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I've been wondering which one to look for as well. I really want one, and it looks like the S&W may be the one to get. Now if I can unload this handgun and ammo, I'd be able to pick one up.

What is wrong with the Mossberg? I've seen bad reviews, but only from the stand point of it coming with a 10 round mag as opposed to a 25. Insight?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    The mossy is junk. I haven't shot one but, I have held several at different shows. My brother almost bought one until I let him shoot my 15-22.

He went out and bought that instead and has never looked back. Besides, it's a GREAT training platform for your AR. All the same controls, unlike the colt or mossy. Add a slit bit of weight to it and set it up just like your SHTF AR and you're good to go.

That is what both me and my brother have done. 4-7 cents per round vs 60-1.00 per round while getting almost the same shooting experience minus the slightly heavier recoil is pretty good.

Top Bottom