Columbus Resident requests Noise Ordinance due to neighbor shooting too much..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

'"the neighbor, who was not identified, shoots every couple of weeks for several hours at a time​"
    That doesn't sound like that much?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I think the guy is a property and a road away...looking at the map, I think it would be loudish...but not to the point of needing hearing protection unless you have delicate anti-gun ears.

I talked to my friend and he said he's beeng shooting like 1 or 2X this year so far. We 'think' the guy is exaggerating so he sounds like he has a case to the commissioners.

:popcorn:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I had a similar neighbor hen I lived in the country in Illinois. They lived about a mile away on the other side of a river however I made my range on my side of the river so it was closer to their delicate ears. Every once in a while they would call the sheriff on me, I pause and reload and there would be an officer staring at me across the river. One time I remember very well....

Officer: Neighbor says you've been shooting up his property.
    Me: Are there any holes he managed to show to prove this since my berm is obviously the other direction?
    Officer: Not a one.
    Me: So am I in any trouble?
    Officer: Nope
    Neighbor: YOU MAKE SO MUCH NOISE THE DEER AND OTHER ANIMALS I LIKE TO WATCH RUN OUT OF YOUR WOODS SO I DON'T SEE THEM WHEN I WANT TO>>> I moved out here to see wildlife all the time around me.
    Me: I moved out here so I could shoot when I wanted to.. (Officer laughs at this point)
    Neighbor to Officer: Make him stop.
    Officer: Nothing I can do sir, maybe you should move.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Country living sucks!

All city people would be well advised to stay in town where there are laws and ordinances to control the various annoyances neighbors will inevitably cause. Stay in town city people...stay in town where it's safe.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    In Columbus if he has enough money or knows the right people he will get his BS ordinance. IM not bashing Columbus, it's a great town, great people. But I do think it's a little more old boys club, then most towns in central Indiana. I cant remember the guys name, but he owns a ton of land in town, like the Denny's(closed now) and the place next to it. I've heard some amazing stories about him and what he is allowed to do/get away with, and he is on the town counsel I believe.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Looking for property/house now and it would be ideal if I could find land where I could shoot and have enough room to build a decent range...

Have to see if I can find one and if it's in my budget though.

That said - a couple hours every couple weeks is no big deal imho. If it were all day every day I could see the complaint but an ordinance... really?

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    In Columbus if he has enough money or knows the right people he will get his BS ordinance. IM not bashing Columbus, it's a great town, great people. But I do think it's a little more old boys club, then most towns in central Indiana. I cant remember the guys name, but he owns a ton of land in town, like the Denny's(closed now) and the place next to it. I've heard some amazing stories about him and what he is allowed to do/get away with, and he is on the town counsel I believe.

You are correct. If you have money or happen to be a diesel manufacturer....you can do whatever you want in Columbus/Bartholomew County. Also, Columbus is one of, in not the most, PC places I have ever known. If the neighbor could somehow weave into his story that the target practice somehow is Anti-gay, or anti-diversity, or in someway injurious to the diesel company......he could have his ordinance issued tomorrow.

-G

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    You are correct. If you have money or happen to be a diesel manufacturer....you can do whatever you want in Columbus/Bartholomew County. Also, Columbus is one of, in not the most, PC places I have ever known. If the neighbor could somehow weave into his story that the target practice somehow is Anti-gay, or anti-diversity, or in someway injurious to the diesel company......he could have his ordinance issued tomorrow.

-G
    I LOL'ed at the "diesel manufacturer", I wonder what your talking about :). Columbus is a weird town. It's got a ton of country people, working class people, union guys, trash, and then a ton of liberal PC police. All in central southern Indiana. But it is a great town, and that cross section of different people does make for a fun time.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    How about the whiner or the council buy said shooter a suppressor? Cheaper than writing and enforcing a new law.

Anyway, the legislature should not write private laws, that benefit one person. Unless he's really loaded and contributes to their campaigns.

citrigin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    I had a similar neighbor hen I lived in the country in Illinois. They lived about a mile away on the other side of a river however I made my range on my side of the river so it was closer to their delicate ears. Every once in a while they would call the sheriff on me, I pause and reload and there would be an officer staring at me across the river. One time I remember very well....

Officer: Neighbor says you've been shooting up his property.
    Me: Are there any holes he managed to show to prove this since my berm is obviously the other direction?
    Officer: Not a one.
    Me: So am I in any trouble?
    Officer: Nope
    Neighbor: YOU MAKE SO MUCH NOISE THE DEER AND OTHER ANIMALS I LIKE TO WATCH RUN OUT OF YOUR WOODS SO I DON'T SEE THEM WHEN I WANT TO>>> I moved out here to see wildlife all the time around me.
    Me: I moved out here so I could shoot when I wanted to.. (Officer laughs at this point)
    Neighbor to Officer: Make him stop.
    Officer: Nothing I can do sir, maybe you should move.
    Exactly that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How about the whiner or the council buy said shooter a suppressor? Cheaper than writing and enforcing a new law.

How about we use this as an opportunity to move suppressors to Title I like that loony attorney in Lafayette has been frothing at the mouth over for decades?

How about a resolution from the City of Columbus urging the United Congress to move suppressors from Title II to Title I (with federal preemption) for the sake of public health and the enjoyment of everyone's propoerty?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know if suppressors were readily available I'd use them when shooting in an area that I could disturb others just to be nice.

Since there are a thousand hoops to jump through to get one - the neighbors can just deal with getting some ear protection - no hoops involved.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The enthusiast should just make it a habit of starting his sessions off by hitting 2lbs of Tannerite like a fireworks show does with an artillery round as a courtesy, ya know? This will allow the neighbor to either leave for two hours or put on his ear pro.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The enthusiast should just make it a habit of starting his sessions off by hitting 2lbs of Tannerite like a fireworks show does with an artillery round as a courtesy, ya know? This will allow the neighbor to either leave for two hours or put on his ear pro.
    Can we finish with a finale too? Say ... a few mag dumps followed by rapid tannerite target shooting?

Roichlem

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Columbus
    I live in Columbus and as I am to understand we already have an ordinance against dischargine of firearms in city limits? If that is the case then a noise ordinance wouldnt help this guy one bit...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    CAUTION: The country is rough, and uncivilized. There are miles and miles between police stations, hospitals, and courthouses and city halls just packed with bureaucrats willing to draft an ordinance, overstep their authority, or just trample on your rights in order to protect you from yourself. There are muddy fields, deep dark woods, domestic livestock making messes on the ground, rude smells, loud uncouth noises, and wild domestic livestock love; right out in public! There are wild animals, the roads are filled with huge farm implements, bordered by deep ditches, and are often paved with, (gasp), gravel.

In short, it is no place for civilized people. Why do you think country folks come into town on the weekend? To get away from it! If you live in town, for the love of Pete, stay there!

Top Bottom