• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Does any one else use this grip? Instead of thumb over thumb when gripping a hand gun, you point both your thumbs straight forward and do not hold the trigger guard with the index finger of your support hand. If you use it, has it improved your accuracy and ability to find your target faster? Ive been using this grip for over a year and really notice over all improvement. Took a while to make it feel natural but now I couldnt go back.
    The Combat Grip

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yup, several of us that shoot USPSA use it, I'm sure there are many others.

Be sure to visit the Brian Enos forums: brianenos.com/forums

You can talk with the dude mentioned in that article ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I use the same/similar grip and it works well for me. Determining an appropriate grip for oneself is going to vary for everyone with little minute differences. It's all about finding that natural point of aim for yourself.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I use a Modded Version of this grip...

I use a my Middle finger as the Trigger finger and my Index finger lays down the frame.
    I didn't get to experiment with it this weekend. I spent too much of my time trying to get a new 22 "broke in" and run some apparently underpowered, cheap ammo

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Amazing what a dumb Army Mechanic might know sometimes...

LOL...
    Have you ever pinched, "slide-burned", etc to your index finger from this technique? I'm curious because of that finger being nearly all scar tissue I can literally almost rip it off again with just sand paper, LOL. Very easy tissue to tear, cut, etc.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I spent five years having a bad grip, and after seeing that every marksman on 'Top Shot' used this grip to great effect, I finally converted. Because of this grip I feel I finally fiigured out how to really shoot a pistol!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is the ideal and a good grip. A lot of control and accuracy with this.

One time that I had to draw my handgun and I thought I might have to use it, I was controlling a subject on the ground and it was raining and I grabbed my wet gun with my wet hand and I didn't have the perfect grip like you try to get when shooting for score. I was prepared to fire even though I didn't have a good grip with my one hand, or good finger position on the trigger, or even a good sight picture because I was breathing kind of hard and I was fighting tunnel vision and giving loud verbal commands. All at the same time....

But because I competed regularly with my rig and handgun, I was totally confident in my equipment and my ability.

I was glad when backup screamed in. Things may not always be perfect.

End of story

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been playing with this thumbs forward grip and it is not yet comfy but it is working. I am not fully there with the middle finger trigger deal as yet.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    . I am not fully there with the middle finger trigger deal as yet.

Unless you have some sort of predisposing injury like Jeremy I certainly wouldn't try and adopt the middle finger trigger pull. This comes up every so often in forums and is often propagated by the point shooting crowd. If you don't need it I wouldn't work too hard to adopt it. It was promoted years ago by some LE trainers from various eastern PD's who seemed more interested in pure accuracy vs. actual use etc.

Here's a link to a report on this grip:

The Police Policy Studies Council

From John Farnam of DTI:

There was a better response than this but I can't find it right now.

Lessons: The "middle-finger-on-trigger" technique, sometimes called the "Pittsburgh Grip," has been used off and on by the Pittsburgh PD and others for several decades and had caused uncounted accidents (mostly self-inflicted), like the one enumerated above. It proponents say the index finger is used to point, and the middle finger is used to manipulate the trigger, but there is no way both fingers can go into register simultaneously, so we see incidents like the one above. How stupid can you get?

Top Bottom