• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Unless you have some sort of predisposing injury like Jeremy I certainly wouldn't try and adopt the middle finger trigger pull. This comes up every so often in forums and is often propagated by the point shooting crowd. If you don't need it I wouldn't work too hard to adopt it. It was promoted years ago by some LE trainers from various eastern PD's who seemed more interested in pure accuracy vs. actual use etc.

Here's a link to a report on this grip:

The Police Policy Studies Council

From John Farnam of DTI:

There was a better response than this but I can't find it right now.

Lessons: The "middle-finger-on-trigger" technique, sometimes called the "Pittsburgh Grip," has been used off and on by the Pittsburgh PD and others for several decades and had caused uncounted accidents (mostly self-inflicted), like the one enumerated above. It proponents say the index finger is used to point, and the middle finger is used to manipulate the trigger, but there is no way both fingers can go into register simultaneously, so we see incidents like the one above. How stupid can you get?

Overarching jist: the index finger moves much more independently than the other fingers. Just hold your hand out like you're trying to palm a basketball. Slowly curl your index finger in like you're pulling a trigger. Note how much you have to move this finger before the middle/ring fingers move.

Now try it with your middle finger... Your ring finger will move at almost the same rate/pace/distance.

Now try it with your ring finger...watch to see how much your middle finger moves.

Middle finger on trigger: not at all ideal because the harder you grip the pistol with your ring finger & pinky, the more chance you have of a sympathetic movement of your middle finger to pull the trigger unintentionally.

-J-

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Unless you have some sort of predisposing injury like Jeremy I certainly wouldn't try and adopt the middle finger trigger pull. This comes up every so often in forums and is often propagated by the point shooting crowd. If you don't need it I wouldn't work too hard to adopt it. It was promoted years ago by some LE trainers from various eastern PD's who seemed more interested in pure accuracy vs. actual use etc.

Here's a link to a report on this grip:

The Police Policy Studies Council

From John Farnam of DTI:

There was a better response than this but I can't find it right now.

Lessons: The "middle-finger-on-trigger" technique, sometimes called the "Pittsburgh Grip," has been used off and on by the Pittsburgh PD and others for several decades and had caused uncounted accidents (mostly self-inflicted), like the one enumerated above. It proponents say the index finger is used to point, and the middle finger is used to manipulate the trigger, but there is no way both fingers can go into register simultaneously, so we see incidents like the one above. How stupid can you get?
    First, Jeremy has no injuries.

Second, If this technique is so damn dangerous, then why have I not shot or had an ND myself in the 35 years I have been using it?!

Third, Using a Police Department as an example of why to not do something would not be my choice at all. How many of the self-inflicted wounds or the ND's at Pittsburgh could be attributed to nothing more than lack of training.
    Overarching jist: the index finger moves much more independently than the other fingers. Just hold your hand out like you're trying to palm a basketball. Slowly curl your index finger in like you're pulling a trigger. Note how much you have to move this finger before the middle/ring fingers move.

Now try it with your middle finger... Your ring finger will move at almost the same rate/pace/distance.

Now try it with your ring finger...watch to see how much your middle finger moves.

Middle finger on trigger: not at all ideal because the harder you grip the pistol with your ring finger & pinky, the more chance you have of a sympathetic movement of your middle finger to pull the trigger unintentionally.

-J-
    First, not really a fair comparison with the hand in a "basketball" grip. You need to have your fingers to more of the position that your digits will be in while gripping. Changes the results quite a bit.

Secondly, why do you grip the pistol hard for?! I was and have always been told to have a firm grip, but try to not squeeze the pistol grip hard.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is another fellow on here that mentioned some damage to his trigger finger. Have to look for it but he was working on something different and the middle digit example was mentioned at that time if memory serves.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There is another fellow on here that mentioned some damage to his trigger finger. Have to look for it but he was working on something different and the middle digit example was mentioned at that time if memory serves.
    That was I. My trigger finger was severred at the first joint a few years back and re-attached. Due to this it no longer bends or has much feeling and I am forced to really pay close attention to my trigger control. For that reason, I found Jeremy's grip interesting and thought I might try experimenting with it. Although, I don't necessarily think I need it (not to sound too arrogant), but I like to learn/explore new things.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    First, not really a fair comparison with the hand in a "basketball" grip. You need to have your fingers to more of the position that your digits will be in while gripping. Changes the results quite a bit.

Secondly, why do you grip the pistol hard for?! I was and have always been told to have a firm grip, but try to not squeeze the pistol grip hard.

OK, then, put your fingers together.

Then move your ring finger & pinkey in like you're going to grip a handgun.

You can't help but move your middle finger.

I personally don't care how you (generic "you", not you specifically).

I merely said that using the middle finger on the trigger isn't ideal due to the risk of sympathetic movements causing undesirable outcomes.

Plus, generally, you can have a much finer movement control with your index finger than you can your middle finger.

If your technique works for you...it works for you. Doesn't bother me! :D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Apologies to Jeremy for inferring his injury, just went off memory. It's the only reason I could think of that someone would voluntarily use this technique. As othes have said whatever works for you, drive on. If you've made this work more power to you. As to the original thread, I've tried both thumbs up and thumbs forward, didn't really notice a difference between either; both work fine so I just stick with what I have used for years.

Top Bottom