• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I spent 3.5 years in the infantry with more time in the field or deployed than not. At the time I was against gays serving in the military but I've since learned that I was being hypocritical. I oppose homosexuality on a moral level but I can't support using the government gun to take away liberty from one person while demanding my liberties. I'm sure I served with gays but I didn't know of any for sure. I was never groped, grabbed, or raped. Besides, I don't think you'll find to many effeminate types signing up for combat arms.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I served with closeted gay friends and it really never made a difference to anyone that I knew. Like it or not the Military is a cross section of America, White, Black, Hispanic, straight, or gay they are a part of your everyday life weather you realized it or not.
    This spin has been going on for how long but is it really the issue that we need to concentrate on now or are their bigger fish in the sea? I mean really this is not the 1920s here.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I smell HOMOPHOBIA!!!

Oh no I was in a foxhole with a gay guy and we were in there 12 hours... He never touched me...I wonder am I not his type or do they just not go around trying to get everyone to bat for their team??

I'm pissed what wasn't I good enough for him?? Didn't he like my behind?? Do I have BO??

Is that a new perfume you girls wear?

Seriously, is that the best there is? If you don't embrace gays you're a homophobe? If you disagree with Obama's policies you're a racist? Such mental midgetry.

How about this. The troops in the field don't want it. That's all I need to know. I don't care what anyone else says.

A non Fox source has a slightly different take on things. Looks like 70% of the military doesn't care, as they shouldn't.
    Voices of the troops from the 'don't ask, don't tell' report

Yes, let's discount the analysis because of the messenger. Redirection denied.

Survey: Marines Most Resistant to Gay Troops

The Marines are the most vocal and the most opposed to allowing gays in their ranks.

I can't say I blame them.

Ooo Rah.

What it all comes down to is the question: Does homosexuals have anything wrong with them to keep them from serving in the military to protect this country? This same question has been asked about African Americans and females. People had issues with both of these groups joining the military do to long held beliefs or predjudices. Clearly they can and have served their country with honor throughout the years. Sure you will upset a few people, but in the grand timeline of history we will correct this problem and allow men and women in the GLBT community to serve openly where they don't have to hide in their own skin.

Wrong. The question is that there is in place a policy that has been in place for hundreds of years. What is the imperative to change it and will it help military readiness?

I don't care if people's feelings are hurt. I care about executing a war with as little distraction as possible. The fact that our government is even entertaining this with troops in harm's way shows a total loss of focus on the military goal.

As Geronimo said it's political theatre and has no purpose or value in an active military theatre.

I find it weird how some of you are lumping gays who want to serve in the military in with the TSA junk touchers. Yes, because if I'm gay, and I want to get some, I'm going to join the military, go through bootcamp with a drill sergeant screaming down my throat, go over seas to an unpleasant environment, and try to rape some guy while we're getting shot at. :rolleyes: And special treatment? How about equal treatment? Give me a break people. I understand the sentiment that the military is it's own entity and each branch should dictate it's own rules, but the arguments against gays serving in the military are just as bogus as the war we're currently in.

Wrong. Each branch doesn't dictate it's own rules. Would that they did ... The rest of your argument is circular.

I spent 3.5 years in the infantry with more time in the field or deployed than not. At the time I was against gays serving in the military but I've since learned that I was being hypocritical. I oppose homosexuality on a moral level but I can't support using the government gun to take away liberty from one person while demanding my liberties. I'm sure I served with gays but I didn't know of any for sure. I was never groped, grabbed, or raped. Besides, I don't think you'll find to many effeminate types signing up for combat arms.

So you were against gays in the military when you were in but now that your not it's OK. You would foist upon troops in the field a lifestyle you rejected while in the field? If I were seeking the source of any feeling of hypocrisy I would focus on this rather than the revelation I was wrong for having felt this way to begin with.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Unfortunately Semper, not all of us our born with a complete education, perfect values, keen political awareness, etc like you were. The rest of us just have grow and mature as we get older. We learn new ideas as we go. I bow to your greatness.

Is that a new perfume you girls wear?

Seriously, is that the best there is? If you don't embrace gays you're a homophobe? If you disagree with Obama's policies you're a racist? Such mental midgetry.

How about this. The troops in the field don't want it. That's all I need to know. I don't care what anyone else says.

Yes, let's discount the analysis because of the messenger. Redirection denied.

Ooo Rah.

Wrong. The question is that there is in place a policy that has been in place for hundreds of years. What is the imperative to change it and will it help military readiness?

I don't care if people's feelings are hurt. I care about executing a war with as little distraction as possible. The fact that our government is even entertaining this with troops in harm's way shows a total loss of focus on the military goal.

As Geronimo said it's political theatre and has no purpose or value in an active military theatre.

Wrong. Each branch doesn't dictate it's own rules. Would that they did ... The rest of your argument is circular.

So you were against gays in the military when you were in but now that your not it's OK. You would foist upon troops in the field a lifestyle you rejected while in the field? If I were seeking the source of any feeling of hypocrisy I would focus on this rather than the revelation I was wrong for having felt this way to begin with.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We can discount the messenger when that message is missing relevant facts. In this case it's missing the fact that the MAJORITY of the US Armed Forces have absolutely no problem with gays and lesbians serving their country in an open capacity. That also includes the families of serving members. Only a few happen to have any issues with it, the majority are quite willing to do their jobs alongside their fellow Americans, with no regards for who they like to sleep with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom