• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We've had their fiber for about 2-3 years now. We bundled the tv package with it (phone is already included) @ $155 per month. We started at $145. At first the tv DVR's were kind of buggy, but the past year or so everything has been great. We began service with an advertised 20mbs down speed. We've never upgraded, but they have apparently increased speeds. I've been real happy with smithville since they offered dsl way back.

The amount of work involved in converting everyone over to fiber must have been a nightmare. Throughout it all, they didn't put off Lizton (smallest segment which is probably furthest distance also, in their network)
    4508123534.png

Okay, I guess I hate you as well.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Okay, I guess I hate you as well.

All y'all that don't get messages like this from your internet provider---I hate you all!

SUBJ:RE: FW: dishNET usage notification
    MSG:We want to notify you that you have used 60% of your Monthly Anytime Usage Allowance provided with your dishNET service for the service period ending on Sun, 06/21/15.
    Generally, should you reach your capacity limit for any service period; your download speed will be significantly reduced until the end of that service period.
    To view your usage or purchase additional capacity, please visit mydish.com/myinternet.
    Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.(End)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The hit and miss price negotiating crap never has impressed me much. The thought of having to do that every time would certainly push me to the competition (if there was any.) Being at the mercy of the highest ranking person you can talk into getting on the phone is a poor business practice.

Thanks, I feel better that I'm not missing out on a discount that I'd have to be prepared to walk away from the interweb to argue for.

:D

I need to buy a cable modem this weekend to get away from Comcast's equipment rental fees. Is there a specific one you would recommend? (preferably on Amazon Prime.)

I want to thank you all for the HUGELY useful info! :ingo:

I bought the Motorola/Aris modem suggested. (You did not warn me of the BLUE LED supernova that it is. :n00b:) With a bit of hopscotching through discussion forums for advice, setup was accomplished without having to talk to any Comcast techs. Speeds are the same, old vs new:
    4521606564.png

Just got back from turning in the modems and getting my billing reconfigured to lose a phone line and modem rental. It was a shockingly pleasant experience. A real bubbly sweetheart named Ashley took great care of me. Ended up paying 25 bucks a month for the same speed Internet I have had all along, guaranteed for a year. Ashley and I discussed this price negotiating thing and she gave me her card explaining to come see her when the price increases.
    :rockwoot:

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    AT&T must be rolling out Fiber or something, I got a letter in the mail from Comcast saying they were upgrading my speed.

View attachment 40120

They must've heard ATT was offering Fiber in my neighborhood. Comcast just upped our speed again.

4497860842.png

:P

It is pretty much evil genious. While I hate both companies, I actually considered the fiber option briefly... thinking "I could sacrifice a few mb for fiber..."

Then Comcast immediately bumps to match or exceed the max of ATT fiber. Shows they can do it freely, whenever they like, to control the market.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    White electrical tape over the lights makes them glow instead of light up the room. Just leave the labels exposed so you can read them if you ever have to call for support.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    :P

It is pretty much evil genious. While I hate both companies, I actually considered the fiber option briefly... thinking "I could sacrifice a few mb for fiber..."

Then Comcast immediately bumps to match or exceed the max of ATT fiber. Shows they can do it freely, whenever they like, to control the market.

Funny how competition works, ain't it?

One of the biggest things that I hated about net neutrality was it had no provision to help eliminate the monopolies we have now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    White electrical tape over the lights makes them glow instead of light up the room. Just leave the labels exposed so you can read them if you ever have to call for support.

Thank you for the tip.

I have some appropriate sized post it notes over the front that just let enough light through to indicate. I hate to cover much more though with heat in mind. The whole box glows BRIGHT BLUE, lighting the whole room and flowing out the doors. :)

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    This thread is making me very jealous. I've read every post in this thread and apparently at least a few of you are in or near Hendricks County. We're moving to Clay Township next month and I've been trying to figure out the internet situation. I currently have Dish TV and am fairly pleased with it. Anyone using a Dish bundle package, especially in Hendricks County? It's not easy to get any clear information from their website (or DIRECTV's for that matter).

If not, any other recommendations? We'll be southwest of Danville. No cable in the area, so it looks like I'm likely limited to satellite. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    AT&T has been coming around talking about fiber to our neighborhood. I can only hope Comcast increases mine to keep pace.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This thread is making me very jealous. I've read every post in this thread and apparently at least a few of you are in or near Hendricks County. We're moving to Clay Township next month and I've been trying to figure out the internet situation. I currently have Dish TV and am fairly pleased with it. Anyone using a Dish bundle package, especially in Hendricks County? It's not easy to get any clear information from their website (or DIRECTV's for that matter).

If not, any other recommendations? We'll be southwest of Danville. No cable in the area, so it looks like I'm likely limited to satellite. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

We're on the Dish "bundle" -- tv and internet. You probably already know, but just in case--please realize on any satellite internet service, you're data limited. Dish has a couple of different packages to choose from but they're all limited. You can watch a youtube video--every now and then. But if you plan on streaming Net Flix and the like, you're going to be very disappointed. As far as playing around on INGO or sending/receiving emails, no problem. You'll note that they advertise 4G speeds and that seems about right -- most of the time. It's not really fast and if you try to watch a video, expect buffering.

On the plus side, I've actually found their internet service to be less affected by weather than their tv service.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

Just tested this morning, that's easily faster than what it was before using the same utility.

I reset my router recently per the letter(s) from Comcast informing me of the speed increase, anxious to see what I'm getting at work now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Just tested this morning, that's easily faster than what it was before using the same utility.

I reset my router recently per the letter(s) from Comcast informing me of the speed increase, anxious to see what I'm getting at work now.

I hate you. 90 mb/s. a gazzillion mb/s. whatevs. you get beyond a certain point and it may as well be infinity. It's that damn 11.65 mb/s that really sticks in my craw.

Well, at lease I get to be hated by GFGT.

4553482007.png

It's actually pretty damn good this morning. That's the fastest I've ever seen it. I've never gotten a 'C' before. Okay. I hate you less, but I still hate you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hate you. 90 mb/s. a gazzillion mb/s. whatevs. you get beyond a certain point and it may as well be infinity. It's that damn 11.65 mb/s that really sticks in my craw.

Well, at lease I get to be hated by GFGT.

View attachment 40408

It's actually pretty damn good this morning. That's the fastest I've ever seen it. I've never gotten a 'C' before. Okay. I hate you less, but I still hate you.

Nice...no need to spike the football....

:):

Top Bottom