• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have almost zero skills or knowledge when it comes to the engineering involved. However, I can share an experience I had with comcast a few years ago.

I was having intermittent loss of signal (internet only, TV was always fine). After a few service visits, I could tell the techs were only guessing about the cause rather than truly diagnosing it. One of the times a tech came out, he didn't even knock on the door, he just went to the side of the house and started disconnecting cables. We were expecting them to come but did not know when. We happened to be watching a movie as a family at the time so it was slightly annoying to have the cable disconnected without warning. So I went outside to meet him. As I walked up to him, he threw a short piece of cable on the ground at my feet and said "Don't ever do that :poop: again!". I then replied "LOOK! If you have something to tell me, I'll listen, but nobody is gonna come on my property and talk to me like that. You can leave...NOW!". I then closed the box on the side of my house where the cable connections were. He said he left a tool in there. I told him I'd let his boss know that they could send someone else to pick it up.

OK, first I'll explain the short piece of cable this guy was all worked up about. I had installed a 2-way splitter on the main cable coming into the house. One side of that splitter went directly to my cable modem. The other side went to another splitter which then went to all the TVs. (This was before the changeover to digital) I did this because I work with people that run cable for a living and this is what they recommended. It was done using the correct type of splitters and all high quality parts. In short, it had nothing to do with the problem. If the tech would have had the courtesy to knock on the door first, I could have told him I ruled out anything in my house as part of the problem by connecting my modem directly to the main line outside and still had no signal.

Now back to the story. I then called comcast again and told them the person they sent was unacceptable and why. They told me it might be another week before they could send someone else. I informed them that I would not be paying for any of the days my service was out.

A few days go by, during which my cable bill just happens to be due. I paid the bill minus the days without service.

A few more days go by and a different tech shows up (he called when he was on his way to make sure it was a good time). When he arrived, his appearance alone indicated he was much more professional. I handed him the cheap screwdriver the other guy had left and he proceeded to check signal levels on the main line. To make this long story a little shorter, he ended up getting 2 more guys on site and speaking to a few more over the phone. Two days later they informed me the problem was caused by something a couple blocks away getting water in it and that component was replaced and sealed. I've had almost zero problems since.

During the few days that the service was taking place, someone had the nerve to call me and inform me that my service could be discontinued if I didn't pay my bill in full. I informed them that not only would I not pay for the days without service on that bill, the next bill would also reflect more days without payment due to the continued problems and if they chose to discontinue my service that would only further prove that I no longer wanted to do business with them anyway. FTR, the girl on the phone seemed completely unaware that any service issues even existed.

I never heard another word about it. In fact, some time later I negotiated a lower monthly rate. :D

The bottom line is this. We unfortunately live in a world where we must sometimes force people to do what should be expected of them. Do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Group Hug :D
    th_grouphugg.gif

Top Bottom