• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    im having issues with random channels right now. some will work only in hd, while others in regular def. only. no problems with the net though.

Check the settings on the cable box, i believe there is a setting that when a HD channel is present to show the HD channel instead of the SD. Not all channels are HD yet, nor will they be for several more years.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    It sounds like the modem might be bad. If the cable outside your home was bad you would lose everything, not just your internet/phone.

Wrong, depends on what frequencies everything is using. Let's say for the sake of example that comcast is using the upper end for their phone and internet service (which they don't they use sub band normally.) If there is an extreme bend in the cable or something that is impeding the wave pattern of the high side frequencies than it very likely could be the cable not the modem.

Being in satellite and seeing the cable companies control of their modulated signal I would say it is sloppy at best. They don't care how well it works as long as it works. My guess is the OP is at the end of a run where all of the laziness comes to fruition and is causing problems. Although I do not doubt the modem being bad, a good physical inspection of all cabling that is possible may be better than beating your head against the wall trying to get the cable company to fix it.:twocents:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Wrong, depends on what frequencies everything is using. Let's say for the sake of example that comcast is using the upper end for their phone and internet service (which they don't they use sub band normally.) If there is an extreme bend in the cable or something that is impeding the wave pattern of the high side frequencies than it very likely could be the cable not the modem.

The odds that he had an extreme bend in the cable that would cause only the loss of the internet/phone frequencies but not the loss of digital TV service at certain times of the year/temp is remote at best. I have known similar things to happen to fiber connections, a badly repaired connected after a car accident, but I've not heard of this happening to coaxial cable.

Ronald:
    Based on the information that you've provided here are some possible issues/solutions in no particular order:

1: Modem, do the cold boot i suggested below
    2: Exterior wiring, have the tech check to make everything from the node to your house is good
    3: Interior wiring, have the tech check the splitter and the wiring that goes to your modem

Another thought is that your splitter could be bad or the cable to your modem is bad. Did you provide the splitter or did comcast?

IF the cabling in your house is all good and IF the exterior cable is all good and IF you do the cold boot on your modem and still the issue persists then have them change the modem.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    The odds that he had an extreme bend in the cable that would cause only the loss of the internet/phone frequencies but not the loss of digital TV service at certain times of the year/temp is remote at best. I have known similar things to happen to fiber connections, a badly repaired connected after a car accident, but I've not heard of this happening to coaxial cable.

Ronald:
    Based on the information that you've provided here are some possible issues/solutions in no particular order:

1: Modem, do the cold boot i suggested below
    2: Exterior wiring, have the tech check to make everything from the node to your house is good
    3: Interior wiring, have the tech check the splitter and the wiring that goes to your modem

Another thought is that your splitter could be bad or the cable to your modem is bad. Did you provide the splitter or did comcast?

IF the cabling in your house is all good and IF the exterior cable is all good and IF you do the cold boot on your modem and still the issue persists then have them change the modem.

I err on the side of murphys law because I have seen it happen first hand. I usually throw likelihoods out the window if it is something I can check in a short amount of time.

Ronald everything provided above is solid advice, what throws a kink in it for me every time I think about it is the seasonality of the issue. Is there a possibility that water could have gotten in the system somewhere?

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    My vote is for the modem, you can swap it out by taking it to their service location and stating it doesn't work. That way you will get a NIB modem. Mine was flakey after a couple years of service - issue cleared right up.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    There should be no "Heat" issues.
    I would demand that they fix the problem, or rebate your money.

Wrong...... heat affects cable immensely, The longer the run, the more heat affects the feeder and line equipment, not to mention the drop system cabling.

Actually if the cable connection was made improperly with either too short or too long of a stinger temperature can play a huge role in the quality of the signal.

This is for when it gets cold outside. A shortened stinger (Usually in pin connectors on the feeder lines in the distribution plant) will sometimes shrink during the cold when the metal contracts causing a suck out.

Extremely long pins generally cause issues 100% of the time and would not be affected by temperature.

Comcrap is just giving him some kind of answer hoping he will accept it and go away. That is the cheapest solution for them and they really don't care if he is having problem. You need to insist they cut through the "heat" crap and fix the issue.

Wrong also. Heat is a strong component of system level issues, however there IS definitely something that can be done, if your service tech says the heat is causing levels issues, then he needs to escalate to a main line tech to sweep the neighborhood.

I've had this need to be done in places I lived in before. It's especially common in rural areas because the distances from fiber are usually much longer with more equipment (all feeder lines and line amplifiers are susceptible to changes in the temperature, fluctuation as little as 10 degrees can cause issues either direction.than in urban settings.

Being in satellite and seeing the cable companies control of their modulated signal I would say it is sloppy at best. They don't care how well it works as long as it works. My guess is the OP is at the end of a run where all of the laziness comes to fruition and is causing problems. Although I do not doubt the modem being bad, a good physical inspection of all cabling that is possible may be better than beating your head against the wall trying to get the cable company to fix it.:twocents:

You're wrong on just about every single point you've made about Comcast in this post.

1. They ALWAYS use a frequency near the top of their bandwidth. Mine in the Indianapolis area is fixed on 591 MHz.

2. QOS is a HUGE issue for Comcast specifically. There are specific tools in place that the last tech out to my place showed me that monitor on a live status every single modem on their plant. All they do is go to a web page and type in your phone number or modem mac address and it pulls up a map of your neighborhood with every modems levels and status on it. It's kind of creepy actually.

3. If you have no idea what you're talking about, you shouldn't make things up.

My vote is for the modem, you can swap it out by taking it to their service location and stating it doesn't work. That way you will get a NIB modem. Mine was flakey after a couple years of service - issue cleared right up.

This is a rare possibility, however given the rural situation you are in with a previously damaged drop, I'd say the OP has either a main line levels issue or a drop system (from pole to modem) wiring/levels issue.

@ OP if you can sort through the BS, just follow the advice above about logging into your modem and checking the levels. You're levels should be between +3 to -7 DBmV on the downstream and your transmit should be between 40-50 DBmV. If they aren't, you need a service call. Also see if your modem shows you the SNR. SNR should be between 31-37.

Best of luck, I know I've had really good techs out to my place from Comcast Indy who were more than willing to show me all their results from their meters. I realize there are the other types of techs as well.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    1. They ALWAYS use a frequency near the top of their bandwidth. Mine in the Indianapolis area is fixed on 591 MHz.

Thats funny most the places I deal with use sub band for data almost religously
    2. QOS is a HUGE issue for Comcast specifically. There are specific tools in place that the last tech out to my place showed me that monitor on a live status every single modem on their plant. All they do is go to a web page and type in your phone number or modem mac address and it pulls up a map of your neighborhood with every modems levels and status on it. It's kind of creepy actually.

What I have seen locally seriously refutes that, and for that matter this thread refutes that point.
    3. If you have no idea what you're talking about, you shouldn't make things up.

I guess I make a living off of making stuff up. Good thing I don't engineer, design, and build SMATV systems for a living.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Thats funny most the places I deal with use sub band for data almost religously

All return path is between 5-45MHz, Comcast Indianapolis uses frequencies above 590 for downstream exclusively.

What I have seen locally seriously refutes that.

So ask the next Comcast tech you see to show you their watchtower web page.

I guess I make a living off of making stuff up. Good thing I don't engineer, design, and build SMATV systems for a living.

You have no factual basis for anything you said... ergo, you made it up.

For someone who claims to be an engineer you haven't put forth any actual DATA in regards to Comcast internet service. It's all supposition and anecdotal commentary so far from you.

I've given you hard facts about the real engineering information behind Comcast internet service, at least in the Indy area.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    All return path is between 5-45MHz, Comcast Indianapolis uses frequencies above 590 for downstream exclusively.

So ask the next Comcast tech you see to show you their watchtower web page.

You have no factual basis for anything you said... ergo, you made it up.

For someone who claims to be an engineer you haven't put forth any actual DATA in regards. It's all supposition and anecdotal commentary so far from you.

I've given you hard facts about the real engineering information behind Comcast internet service, at least in the Indy area.

You have provided hearsay because nothing you say can be substantiated or stand on its own just as nothing I have said can be substantiated. If it behooves your request I can provide my SBCA certs, my DISH Network Certs, Wild Blue Certs, Hughes Net certs, and I can point you to several commercial establishments in the midwest where you will find my systems in place and working. From being out in the field I can tell you that the modulation of most cable systems is shoddy 75-85% of the time but I am sorry if I can't provide you with the spectrum analyzer readings.

Most comcast subscribers that I know of have received sub par internet connections even at low saturation times and have got nothing but a credit on their bill and an apology, don't believe me you can find story after story on that on the internet. It is also true with most cable subscribers.

At any rate none of this applies to the OP's problem. I still recommend that he checks the cable physically for anything that looks out of the norm. The recommendation on the splitter is very wise as well, if they used a diode steered splitter there is a possibility it has failed. The reason I keep pointing to something in line between the pole and demarcation is because of the seasonality of the issue instead of it remaining constant. This can be verified by asking if any of the neighbors have the same challenge.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've been having the same issues with my Comcast 'net. Goes out everyday, sometimes for an hour or more. Let me know what they ceom up with for you.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    You have provided hearsay because nothing you say can be substantiated or stand on its own just as nothing I have said can be substantiated. If it behooves your request I can provide my SBCA certs, my DISH Network Certs, Wild Blue Certs, Hughes Net certs, and I can point you to several commercial establishments in the midwest where you will find my systems in place and working. From being out in the field I can tell you that the modulation of most cable systems is shoddy 75-85% of the time but I am sorry if I can't provide you with the spectrum analyzer readings.

Not to worry, I have a list of SCTE and NCTI certifications as well. The problem with your list of "Cred" is it has nothing to do with Comcast internet.... It's all satellite credentials.... to the untrained eye they seem like they should be interchangeable right? Not really. Yes, in the field "Cable is cable" and the only difference is the frequency response of the gear but when troubleshooting, satellite savvy doesn't translate well into DOCSIS savvy.

As far as nothing I say is verifiable?.... I'd invite every Comcast internet customer here to type in their modems internal diagnostics IP (every modem has one, usually 192.168.100.1) and verify for yourselves what the upstream and downstream frequencies are... it will look something like this...

downstreamstatus.gif

Most comcast subscribers that I know of have received sub par internet connections even at low saturation times and have got nothing but a credit on their bill and an apology, don't believe me you can find story after story on that on the internet. It is also true with most cable subscribers.

Talk about unsubstantiated and unverifiable.....

Why not flip through the "Post your bandwidth" thread here, look at the comparison between the Comcast speeds and the SBC, Fios, Frontier speeds.... you'll see VERY few other providers offering the speeds you get from Comcast here in Indiana.

At any rate none of this applies to the OP's problem. I still recommend that he checks the cable physically for anything that looks out of the norm. The recommendation on the splitter is very wise as well, if they used a diode steered splitter there is a possibility it has failed. The reason I keep pointing to something in line between the pole and demarcation is because of the seasonality of the issue instead of it remaining constant. This can be verified by asking if any of the neighbors have the same challenge.

The only thing I remotely agree with that you've posted so far in this thread.

@ the OP.... seriously, get a service tech out and get REAL information on your issues. Don't take anecdotal advice from the internet if you're having problems with your service, get someone out with a meter to run levels, docsis and MER/BER tests on both your upstream and your downstream, locate where the problem is and have them fix it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Not to worry, I have a list of SCTE and NCTI certifications as well. The problem with your list of "Cred" is it has nothing to do with Comcast internet.... It's all satellite credentials.... to the untrained eye they seem like they should be interchangeable right? Not really. Yes, in the field "Cable is cable" and the only difference is the frequency response of the gear but when troubleshooting, satellite savvy doesn't translate well into DOCSIS savvy.
    Right because DOCSIS doesn't exist in all ISPs. I didn't say they were interchangeable however satellite SMATV is a cable system. Honestly I don't understand as to why this is such a pissing match for you.

As far as nothing I say is verifiable?.... I'd invite every Comcast internet customer here to type in their modems internal diagnostics IP (every modem has one, usually 192.168.100.1) and verify for yourselves what the upstream and downstream frequencies are... it will look something like this...

downstreamstatus.gif

[/B]

Talk about unsubstantiated and unverifiable.....

Why not flip through the "Post your bandwidth" thread here, look at the comparison between the Comcast speeds and the SBC, Fios, Frontier speeds.... you'll see VERY few other providers offering the speeds you get from Comcast here in Indiana.

Then why not post it in the first place instead of slinging insults. The thread you speak of is mostly a saturation of the indy area of which I am nowhere close so don't you think it possible that the rural areas in which I am surrounded may not have the same results as the area you speak of?

At any rate I am done with your egotrip and insults.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Right because DOCSIS doesn't exist in all ISPs. I didn't say they were interchangeable however satellite SMATV is a cable system. Honestly I don't understand as to why this is such a pissing match for you.

DOCSIS exists for all cable modem ISPs. IE Comcast. That's what this issue is about, a DOCSIS device experiencing intermittent connectivity... why bother talking about non DOCSIS ISPs?

You're saying I'm turning it into a pissing match mr. "I work on SMATV's and I have lots of satcom certs"? I find this highly ironic.

I know what a SMATV is, its an isolated all inclusive sattelite driven video distribution system widely used in locations that refuse to partner with local cable distributors or who can't because of geographic limitations.... or in the instance of a couple of apartment complex's in Indy, where the cable company was suffering so much vandalism and theft that they pulled their services completely out of the complex.

Just stick to the facts and we'd have no issues.

Then why not post it in the first place instead of slinging insults. The thread you speak of is mostly a saturation of the indy area of which I am nowhere close so don't you think it possible that the rural areas in which I am surrounded may not have the same results as the area you speak of?

At any rate I am done with your egotrip and insults.

What insults did I sling? Pretty sure you need to take a look in the mirror and realize all you've done is try to bully someone who you thought had less engineering experience than you around.

I'm not ego tripping, facts are facts, supposition is supposition. I'm a pretty reputable person around here for being honest and up front, why would I "lie" about things I've seen with my own two eyes in regards to cable?

You are throwing around unsubstantiated claims and I'm refuting them stating I have first hand knowledge to the contrary.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Then why not provide the knowledge you have and leave it at that, the only things I stated in my first several posts is what I have seen first hand with the local comcast, brighthouse, roadrunner, and other small time cable providers. I can not provide refutable evidence of this and if you haven't worked in this area then neither can you.

I provided my experience only at your behest because you said I was basing all this off of something I pulled out of the sky stating that, "You have no factual basis for anything you said." Once again if you haven't worked in the area in which I am referencing geographically neither do you.

So maybe just maybe the complete disagreement comes where our experiences are in disagreement with each other which is bound to happen as different people build different infrastructures to best suit the implementation. Maybe I was a bit oversensitive to this because of the fact it seemed you were inferring that I knew nothing which really gets my blood boiling, for that I apologize. I was not making a statement about your character just the perceived manner you have carried yourself in this thread alone. It is quite likely that I have agreed with you on many other subjects. So things will be as they are and
    poop.jpg
    happens. I perceived you to be condescending if I was wrong I apologize.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Then why not provide the knowledge you have and leave it at that, the only things I stated in my first several posts is what I have seen first hand with the local comcast, brighthouse, roadrunner, and other small time cable providers. I can not provide refutable evidence of this and if you haven't worked in this area then neither can you.

I provided my experience only at your behest because you said I was basing all this off of something I pulled out of the sky stating that, "You have no factual basis for anything you said." Once again if you haven't worked in the area in which I am referencing geographically neither do you.

So maybe just maybe the complete disagreement comes where our experiences are in disagreement with each other which is bound to happen as different people build different infrastructures to best suit the implementation. Maybe I was a bit oversensitive to this because of the fact it seemed you were inferring that I knew nothing which really gets my blood boiling, for that I apologize. I was not making a statement about your character just the perceived manner you have carried yourself in this thread alone. It is quite likely that I have agreed with you on many other subjects. So things will be as they are and
    YouTube_Poop_****_by_PacMani.png
    happens. I perceived you to be condescending if I was wrong I apologize.

I didn't intend to be condescending, albeit I've been accused of that before (rightfully) so I apologize if I was.

No hard feelings and by no means do I think you know "nothing". I know all about SMATVs and they require a wide skillset that few possess outside of long time "cable/sattelite" guys. That's actually a +1 in my book for you. I just felt like you were bashing on something that was relevant to your field but didn't have your ducks in a row.

I don't mean any disrespect, I just disagree with your POV on the engineering and support behind Comcast Indiana high speed internet. Lets just say I have several people who I would consider to be some of the smartest people I know who are or at one time were some of the top of their field for Comcast from Service, through maintenance and some from engineering.

So that probably makes me a little eager on the trigger too.

Just two Bulls approaching the same fence from opposite directions, both seeing red is all.

No hard feelings here!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I am also upset that marion sits on one of the main fiber trunks or darn near on it and the high speed around here is a joke. Also AT&T refuses to fix the buried lines my GRANDPA originally dug and told them they needed aerials because the ground was too wet. It really burns my gears that comcast also refuses to service the area but two of the local small times get their signal from comcast then up-charge it. At any rate, it seems you know enough you should charge Ronald here a few beers to take your fluke over to his house.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I am also upset that marion sits on one of the main fiber trunks or darn near on it and the high speed around here is a joke. Also AT&T refuses to fix the buried lines my GRANDPA originally dug and told them they needed aerials because the ground was too wet. It really burns my gears that comcast also refuses to service the area but two of the local small times get their signal from comcast then up-charge it.

Yeah, cable companies are pretty much done expanding and very few will overbuild another MSO or even a small mom n pop. They will trade and buy properties but the real money isn't in developing new locations, it's in garnering subs. That's just an unfortunate truth.

If you're close to their existing plant though, normally they will work with you to build out to you at a reduced cost. (It's still super expensive)

My mom was only 500 yards from their plant, they charged her around 600$ to build to her house which included a line extender, a couple poles and the bump pole they landed at the corner of her property. This was almost 10 years ago though. I'm sure it cost them 10,000 to build it out, one of the contractors mentioned something about 5% of cost to be covered by the subscriber for small jobs.

At any rate, it seems you know enough you should charge Ronald here a few beers to take your fluke over to his house.

Unfortunately, I'd be shooting in the dark, I don't have a meter personally. (Besides, Comcast doesn't use fluke for field work, they use Trilithic and JDSU) :D Not only that but Comcast should be supporting their product free of charge!!

Seriously OP should just get a trouble call an don't let them willy nilly you around. It might take a time or two but you start racking up repeat calls to your residence and someone will wind up with a butt chewing and your service will get fixed.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Unfortunately, I'd be shooting in the dark, I don't have a meter personally. (Besides, Comcast likes to
    Smiley_-_throwing_money.gif
    they use Trilithic and JDSU) :D Not only that but Comcast should be supporting their product free of charge!!

Seriously OP should just get a trouble call an don't let them willy nilly you around. It might take a time or two but you start racking up repeat calls to your residence and someone will wind up with a butt chewing and your service will get fixed.
    Fixed it a bit but yeah make them fix it and good luck, social engineering may be required.

Top Bottom