• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I did the recent KD at Atterbury. Our instructors wrote on the side of the truck the comps needed in MOA for different distances. I wrote it down but those notes did not survive the wet conditions of the day. Can someone post them for me?

If memory serves, it was close to 2,3,3,4 for .223 and 2,3,4,4 for .30cal but I want to be sure I have the correct ones.

Thanks, Matt

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive never been to a KD AS, but you should take your rifle with your ammo and figure Your come up's. Im not sure what the AS teaching is on this topic, but they probably gave you a starting place (educated guess) as to what your set up would really do.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    The educated guess is what they were. I know the .223 was actually based off of the NATO 5.56 round and it shoots flatter than std .223 rounds.
    Just need a baseline. So rare for me to get to shoot beyond 100yds, I want to at least have a starting point. The ones I seem to recall are likely closer than what my skills can do anyway. But I am working on it!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    THese may not get your first shot into the "X" ring but you will catch the black. Assuming you know your 100 yard zero. You need to know what each click is for your rifle My old service rifle was 1 moa per click, but my current servce style AR is 1/2 MOA per click.

100 to 200 add 1 to 1.5 moa
    200 to 300 add 2.5 to 3 moa
    300 to 500 add 7 moa.
    500 to 600 add 3 moa

I have never shot a 400 yard KB course of fire, but I'll bet 300 to 400 come up will be about 3 moa. I am confident that will get you on paper until ypu can write your own exact ones in your weapons data book.

Good Luck

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not have my hornady ballistics book handy but a low b.c. 125 gr, 30 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2400 fps probably is pretty much out of speed and dropping like a rock by 600 yards. Hopefully someone has a bullet drop program handy.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So your saying a AK is not capable of shooting a bullet 600 yds:stickpoke:

I do not have my hornady ballistics book handy but a low b.c. 125 gr, 30 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2400 fps probably is pretty much out of speed and dropping like a rock by 600 yards. Hopefully someone has a bullet drop program handy.

He knows, Leo. He's being funny. :nuts:

OP: between Leo & GS, the info doesn't get any better than that!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I was just hoping Pat would take the bait and get into the dreaded AR vs AK debate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    'vette, thanks, I didn't notice the little cartoon guys when I flipped through the post.

Having tried to make a 30/30 work at distance, I remembered how bad a slow moving 30 cal bullet drops, but I couldn't remember the data specs.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I was just hoping Pat would take the bait and get into the dreaded AR vs AK debate.

HAHAHAHA sorry buddy I went to bed and haven't checked the intrawebs soon enough to get in trouble apparently! I have never personally tried to shoot one to 600. It might be possible but the drop would be stupid and it would need a scope with a ton of travel in it. Anything is possible though, I mean didn't Jerry Miculek just shoot a balloon at 1k yards with a 9mm pistol :)

[video=youtube;jJ3XwizTqDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw[/video]

I will say though that about 3 appleseed atterbury shoots ago, The instructor one, slim and I had no problems hitting the standard target at 500 yards with his yugo underfolder. And they have about the worst possible stock ever lol. no real cheek weld. But if one were to have one of your optics with a ton of travel I think anything could be possible :)

GIJEW

Master
    Mar 14, 2009
    Kind of like using those ladder sights on old milsurp mausers, springfields, etc

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Come ups are actually on the elevation drums of the M1 and M1A. The M1 is yards, the M1A is meters. Some of us have to use a magnifying glass to read the numbers, but the data is right there.

It is close enough for the .223 to be on paper and for real, if needed.

And, of course, everybody knows how to estimate range using the front sight?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    HAHAHAHA sorry buddy I went to bed and haven't checked the intrawebs soon enough to get in trouble apparently! I have never personally tried to shoot one to 600. It might be possible but the drop would be stupid and it would need a scope with a ton of travel in it. Anything is possible though, I mean didn't Jerry Miculek just shoot a balloon at 1k yards with a 9mm pistol :)

If its the one I saw, although I respect Jerry, and he made a killer shot, the concept of him hitting that ballon was a bit disengenuous; He hit the large steel gong near it and popped the ballon with splatter frags. Yes, he popped the balloon from 1,000 yards but he didnt hit the balloon. slight difference in my mind. But I will freely admit he does a better job at it than I could. EVER.

Come ups are actually on the elevation drums of the M1 and M1A. The M1 is yards, the M1A is meters. Some of us have to use a magnifying glass to read the numbers, but the data is right there.

It is close enough for the .223 to be on paper and for real, if needed.

And, of course, everybody knows how to estimate range using the front sight?

Refresh our memory? Sounds cool.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    With Std width front sights for the three military rifles, M1, M1A, M16.

If the humanoid target is the same width as the front blade, it is 300 yards out.

If the humanoid target is 1/2 the width of the front blade, it is 600 yards out.

Basic rifleman stuff.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Sloughfoot's method is the best. It absolutely works if you use a standard rifle sight for those rifles.

My my problem is that too many screwballs being overly complicated sights. In that case I suggest this.

Target in inches/Target in MOA X 100 = Range.

Say you guess your target to be 20 inches wide. You know your front post is 8 MOA wide. When you hold your post up to the target it appears to be about half the width of the post. That means 20"/4 MOA X 100=500yards.

If people would just use regular A2 sights we wouldn't have to go through all that.

Top Bottom