Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    See....

NRC: Current Rule Proposals

My input....

The OBR (one buck rule)

The DNR surveyed 25,000 Indiana deer hunters. Of that total 36% (9,000) were single season deer hunters that the OBR has not had and will never will have any effect on their deer hunting and would undoubtedly vote to keep the OBR. So if less than half of the remaining Indiana deer hunters surveyed (45% or 7,200) voted for the OBR they would end up with the 65% that they now claim to be in favor of the OBR. In my opinion, the survey is flawed.

The DNR proposal states - “Harvest data indicates that we have accelerated our harvest of more mature male deer (older than 1.5 years old) since the “one buck rule” has been established and decreased the number of 1.5 year old males in our harvest (see graph below). Whether this trend is specifically due to the one buck rule is difficult to ascertain due to a number of factors (increased license price at the onset of the one buck rule, continuing evolving hunting regulations, aging hunters, changed expectations, etc).

We really don’t know, and will never know, if we were successful at changing the age structure of males on the landscape, but we are certain that our male harvest has changed drastically since the inception of the one buck rule, and with our current set of regulations, have balanced our male: female harvest ratio for the first time since approximately 2006 and have maintained that course in subsequent years
    .”

Both the present and past Indiana deer biologists have stated that returning to a two buck trial would give them the information to tell if the OBR had anything to do with the change in the age structure. Let’s let our biologist have that opportunity.

Jim Mitchell stated, “The OBR would appear to have slightly accelerated the increase in older bucks, but we will not know whether such is the case without a trial return to the two-buck rule

Chad Stewart said, “………we will never truly know the impact of the One Buck Rule without returning to a two buck limit for a duration of 2-4 years.”

What does the Indiana deer hunter think about the 3 year two buck trial?
    From the 2011 DNR deer survey –

http://www.responsivemanagement.com/download/reports/IN_Deer_Report.pdf

56% are in favor of it as opposed to just 50% saying no “changing the One Buck Rule at all”.

59% support an Earn A Buck on the second buck.

70% of the respondents indicated that an Earn a Buck would make them very or somewhat likely to harvest an additional antlerless deer in
    Indiana.

“ Five potential actions regarding the One Buck Rule were read to respondents, and they were asked if they supported or opposed each action (one of the actions was the “no action” option). The most support was for allowing hunters to earn the privilege to harvest a second buck if they have already harvested an antlerless deer (59% support) and for conducting a 3-year pilot study that removes the One Buck Rule and returns to a Two Buck Rule that allows one antlered deer to be taken during Archery Season and one antlered deer to be taken during the Firearms or Muzzleloader Season combined (56%). Just half support not changing the One Buck Rule at all (50%).

Before we add this one buck restriction, loss of hunter opportunities and loss of revenues I ask that the DNR allow Chad Stewart to conduct a two buck trial for the 3 years. The information gathered would be immeasurable to not only Indiana, but any state considering any change in buck limits

As you might know, the OBR trial was originally pushed through by two organized hunting groups to try and grow more “trophy bucks” in Indiana. Never mind that Indiana was getting their fair share of trophy bucks already. No doubt that we have experiencing an age shift in our bucks but according to Jim Mitchell, the Indiana Deer Biologist at that time, that trend had already started prior to the OBR coming into effect. Chad Stewart has echoed Jim’s statement.

Are some hunters seeing bigger and more bucks in 2011 than they did in 2001 (pre-OBR)? Without a doubt. But, claiming that it was the OBR that did it is a giant leap.

Did we not see more and bigger bucks in 2001 than we did in 1991? Again, without a doubt.

It is a NATURAL progression in a growing herd and maturing deer hunters.

More and bigger bucks occuring is happening nationwide in just about every whitetail producing state- even multiple buck limit states.

Why is this happening? Because we, as hunters, are getting older, more experienced and more selective in what we will shoot.

I don't know of anyone, who after they have a few years deer hunting under their belt, that doesn't hold out for "more and bigger bucks".

The OBR is getting all the credit for something that is happening naturally. We are all starting to practice the QDM logo of - "Let him go, so he can grow".

I see that most of the hunters for the OBR are younger and do not know how far the Indiana herd has come. We are 6th place in total record book bucks. Nothing to sneeze at

Buck age shifts are occurring all over the country and according to the Quality Deer Management Association this is due to “A significant indication of the spread of the QDM philosophy..”

See … http://www.qdma.com/media/WhitetailReport09.pdf

Yearling Buck Harvest Trends 1999 - 2005

“ A significant indication of the spread of the QDM philosophy, the percentage of yearlings (1½-year-olds) in the nationwide buck harvest declined from an average of 51 percent in 1999 to 45 percent in 2005. During this same period the percentage of 2½-year-olds increased from 28 to 32percent and 3½-year-olds or older increased from 19 to 23 percent.”

Midwest Age Structure of the Buck Harvest in 2009

In 2009, the average percentage of the antlered buck harvest that was 1½ years old was 41 percent, equal to the percentage in 2008. The data below shows how the yearling percentage of the antlered buck harvest in the U.S. has changed during the past two decades. In 2009, Arkansas averaged the fewest yearlings (10 percent of antlered buck harvest) and South Carolina averaged the most (65 percent of antlered buck harvest).

Other notables included Mississippi (14 percent), Louisiana (16 percent from DMAP areas) and Missouri (19 percent in antler point restriction counties) averaging fewer than one yearling per five harvested antlered bucks.

QDMA - Percentage of Yearling Bucks in the U.S. Buck Harvest

1989 - 62%
    1994 - 57%
    1999 - 51%
    2001 - 48%
    2003 - 47%
    2005 - 45%
    2007 - 43%
    2009 - 41%
    2010 - 38%

Indiana’s 2010 yearling buck harvest percentage was 40%. That is 2 percentage points above the average.

Our two buck limit neighboring state of Illinois had a 39.1 % yearling buck take in 2010.

What this means is this age shift is occurring in every whitetail producing state and is not just an Indiana OBR phenomenon. The only thing that is consistent among these states is that deer hunters are aging, getting more experienced, becoming more selective and QDM has caught on. No doubt that OBR proponents lay claim that this age shift is due to the OBR, but age data from other states proves otherwise. We are not alone in “growing trophy bucks”.

Adopting a One Buck Rule when the data clearly shows that it we are about average for all whitetail producing states is reducing a lot of opportunity and revenue producing for a totally unproven theory.

Notable quotes on the OBR -

Dr. Jim Mitchell had stated,” This rule will not appreciably change the antlered age structure because very few hunters take two antlered deer in a given season," DNR deer biologist

Chad Stewart, deer research biologist for the DNR, explained, “The Division has always maintained that the OBR is more of a social issue than a biological issue. Prior to 2002, approximately 15 percent of hunters took two bucks in a year, so the actual impact of decreasing the limit to one buck is minimal."

Some Indiana antlered deer harvest statistics.

Early Archery Buck Kills…

1999 - 9,067
    2000 - 10,935
    2001 - 12,016

Pre-OBR Average - 10,673

2002 - 7,397
    2003 - 9,084
    2004 - 7,985
    2005 - 8,845
    2006 - 9,390
    2007 - 9,715
    2008 - 9,193
    2009 –10,076
    2010 – 8,930

Post OBR Average - 8,801

Difference – minus 1,872 ( - 17.5%)

Jim Mitchell said that “the bowhunters shot themselves in the foot supporting the OBR” and he was right.

Firearm (Shotgun and MZ) Buck Kills

1999 – 37,075
    2000 – 33,500
    2001 – 36,082

Pre OBR Average- 35,552

2002 – 39,560
    2003 – 46,488
    2004 - 43,107
    2005 – 43,393
    2006 – 39,438
    2007 – 39,394
    2008 – 41,431
    2009 – 42,596
    2010 – 43,057

Post OBR Average – 42,052

Difference – Plus 6,500 (+ 18.2%)

Jim Mitchell also said that the OBR would only transfer some of the early archery harvest to later firearm and muzzleloader seasons. Looking at the harvest data I would say that he was right again.

We are killing more bucks under the one-buck rule that we did under the two-buck rule. Where are the “buck savings”?

Personally I believe that the second buck tags (either as a trial or an Earn A Buck) will help on the control of antlerless deer as the successful early archery buck hunters would have a better reason to get back out there in the firearm season, where they could take more antlerless deer at the same time. One can not kill deer sitting on the couch at home.

Throw in the Earn a Buck on the second buck and that would further entice one to go harvest more antlerless deer.

The purchase of the second buck tag would also help make up any monetary shortfalls the IDNR might be experiencing.

I would ask that the DNR Fish and Widlife and the NRC that in order to really evaluate the OBR that we do return to a 2 to 3 year two buck trial period so that Chad Stewart, our Indiana deer biologist, can ascertain for certain whether the opportunities that we are giving up is worth any possible gain in age from an OBR.

Let’s make the resource decisions on good deer biology and not on social whims.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I don't mean this for or against the OBR, but I don't think it's fair to compare Indiana's yearling buck harvest with the national average over the last 20 years. Many, MANY states have adopted antler point restrictions over this time period, so of course the yearling buck harvest would drop.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I don't mean this for or against the OBR, but I don't think it's fair to compare Indiana's yearling buck harvest with the national average over the last 20 years. Many, MANY states have adopted antler point restrictions over this time period, so of course the yearling buck harvest would drop.

I do not know of any state that as adopted statewide (there are some states with designated wildlife management areas) antler restrictions on the first buck (some states have ity on their second buck - such as Georgia and Michigan).

Do you have some examples of your "many, MANY" states?

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I read your article Willie, but does it boil down to the fact that you want to shoot two bucks? I just could not quite glean the point of all of your information. I understand you are an opponent of OBR, but why?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I personally believe we need to work on getting the overall number of deer up before worrying about taking more bucks. As the poll in another thread showed over 50% of hunter just here on INGO have seen a decline in deer populations. What would those results show if every hunter in IN had taken this poll? I think it would be an higher %. I know a lot of very experienced hunters who said they seen almost no deer whatsoever this year. With the high number of antlerless allowed to be taken, a lot of places are seeing almost deer at all. Taking more antlered definitely wont help that.

I have always been a fan of the OBR. I feel it gives hunters more discipline in waiting for the "just right buck". In my personal experience the OBR has definitely helped boost the number of large bucks taken and seen. I like it because I would always see hunters shoot young bucks early in the season because they knew they could shoot another if they see one. If your gonna shoot a young buck its most likely for the meat. Why not just shoot a doe in that case, and that young buck grow to its full potential?

I think what you are saying could possibly work, but there a too many hunters that don't think of the conservation aspect of hunting, only that they just shoot more young bucks, driving the numbers down even further.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I do not know of any state that as adopted statewide (there are some states with designated wildlife management areas) antler restrictions on the first buck (some states have ity on their second buck - such as Georgia and Michigan)

Mississippi has been doing it since 1995, first by points and now by spread/beam length.

Now you know of one.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Mississippi has been doing it since 1995, first by points and now by spread/beam length.

Now you know of one.

Pennsylvania does, also. There is some division of the wildlife management units in the state, but in general a buck must have either 3 or 4 points on at least one side of the rack.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    And if you want to ask someone if OBR is working, ask someone who's livelihood depends on it: a taxidermist. Every taxidermist I know universally praises the change in business since OBR came into effect (they get lots more business).

<<<<<<<<<<<<< OBR works in my book

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    And if you want to ask someone if OBR is working, ask someone who's livelihood depends on it: a taxidermist. Every taxidermist I know universally praises the change in business since OBR came into effect (they get lots more business).

:yesway:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

Now you know of one.

Forgot about Mississippi....where Dr. Stephen Demaris of MSU says it has lead to "high grading". Basically a lot of 8 point "potential" yearling bucks are being taken and cowhorns and forkies get a pass....even if they are mature.

SCIENCE AND THE 4-POINT

“We are drawing a tine-line that places most bucks harvested at the upper end of 1 1/2 (years of age),” pointed out Stephen Demarais, professor of Wildlife Management at Mississippi State University, in discussing the harvest on Sunflower WMA.

His statistics show a decrease of 19 inches of antlers in the Boone and Crockett (B&C) scores of 3 1/2-year-old bucks taken on the WMA since the 4-point rule was adopted. This is exactly the effect that some biologists forewarned, because the restrictive rule protects smaller antlered yearlings and allows the harvest of larger antlered yearlings.

Graduate student Bronson Strickland, along with Demarais, Castle and others, produced a paper titled Effects of Selective-Harvest Strategies on White-Tailed Deer Antler Size. The study used antler measurements from pen-raised deer to simulate the effects of antler-based selective-harvest strategies on the breeding population for a number of years. Those findings were then compared to antler statistics from bucks harvested on Mississippi’s WMAs.
    The simulations showed that selectively removing a large proportion of the larger-antlered young bucks and leaving a large proportion of the smaller-antlered young bucks can reduce antler size of bucks at 4 years of age.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/30/hunting_whitetail-deer-hunting_ms_aa122902a/

This is a 3 X 3 I killed a couple years back. He would be safe under a 4 point rule ...forever..

bigsix-1.jpg

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    You have contradictory statements in your post.

I personally believe we need to work on getting the overall number of deer up before worrying about taking more bucks. As the poll in another thread showed over 50% of hunter just here on INGO have seen a decline in deer populations. What would those results show if every hunter in IN had taken this poll? I think it would be an higher %. I know a lot of very experienced hunters who said they seen almost no deer whatsoever this year. With the high number of antlerless allowed to be taken, a lot of places are seeing almost deer at all. Taking more antlered definitely wont help that.

Since a buck can inseminate 10 to 12 does how does have a buck heavy herd help in increasing a herd size?

I have always been a fan of the OBR. I feel it gives hunters more discipline in waiting for the "just right buck". In my personal experience the OBR has definitely helped boost the number of large bucks taken and seen. I like it because I would always see hunters shoot young bucks early in the season because they knew they could shoot another if they see one. If your gonna shoot a young buck its most likely for the meat. Why not just shoot a doe in that case, and that young buck grow to its full potential?

I think you said previously that we needed to pass does, now we should shoot them?

I think what you are saying could possibly work, but there a too many hunters that don't think of the conservation aspect of hunting, only that they just shoot more young bucks, driving the numbers down even further.

I think we are seeing more and more deer hunters wating and it is not just because of the OBR. We are becoming a lot more experienced, we've shot enough yearling bucks in the past and they are no lonegr a challenge to us and we are more selective naturally. Most deer hunters after a few years progress to that point.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Forgot about Mississippi....where Dr. Stephen Demaris of MSU says it has lead to "high grading". Basically a lot of 8 point "potential" yearling bucks are being taken and cowhorns and forkies get a pass....even if they are mature.

SCIENCE AND THE 4-POINT
    “We are drawing a tine-line that places most bucks harvested at the upper end of 1 1/2 (years of age),” pointed out Stephen Demarais, professor of Wildlife Management at Mississippi State University, in discussing the harvest on Sunflower WMA.

His statistics show a decrease of 19 inches of antlers in the Boone and Crockett (B&C) scores of 3 1/2-year-old bucks taken on the WMA since the 4-point rule was adopted. This is exactly the effect that some biologists forewarned, because the restrictive rule protects smaller antlered yearlings and allows the harvest of larger antlered yearlings.

Graduate student Bronson Strickland, along with Demarais, Castle and others, produced a paper titled Effects of Selective-Harvest Strategies on White-Tailed Deer Antler Size. The study used antler measurements from pen-raised deer to simulate the effects of antler-based selective-harvest strategies on the breeding population for a number of years. Those findings were then compared to antler statistics from bucks harvested on Mississippi’s WMAs.
    The simulations showed that selectively removing a large proportion of the larger-antlered young bucks and leaving a large proportion of the smaller-antlered young bucks can reduce antler size of bucks at 4 years of age.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/30/hunting_whitetail-deer-hunting_ms_aa122902a/

I can understand this. It makes sense, but this is not the OBR. Our OBR doesnt limit antler size, so this is not a problem for IN. I definitely understand how this could affect Mississippi though, but I think whether the 4pt rule is in effect or not, hunters are still gonna choose to shoot a young 8 over a more mature spike or 4pt. Thats just the way it goes. Like I said in my other post, unfortunately most hunters dont think about the conservation aspect of hunting, they just want to shoot the buck with the most points.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I read your article Willie, but does it boil down to the fact that you want to shoot two bucks? I just could not quite glean the point of all of your information. I understand you are an opponent of OBR, but why?

The resource can well withstand it, easily. Bucks and does are still being born at the same rate of 1.2 bucks to 1 doe. Yet in Indiana is one has the time, money and places to hunt in each county they can kill over 450+ does. Does that make sense to anyone on here?

It is not about "shooting two bucks" but the opportunity to get out and hunt that second buck IF one is fortunate enough to get their first.

This is not biological...it is something atht two groups pushed through and now we are stuck with it. If it was bioligiacl these groups would want Chad Stewart (Indiana deer Biologist) to conduct a two buck modern trial to see what effect the OBR has and will continue to have on the herd. The are afraid of that...just go with gut feelings..and political pull..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

Mine doesn't a care for it, but he is a learned deer hunter and studies deer biology quite a bit.

Not sure how any taxidermist can say for certain the OBR alone has increased their business where our own deer biologist says it would take a two buck trial to really determine any significant impact of the OBR.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    You have contradictory statements in your post.

Im talking about a shortage of deer all together. Not specific to any gender. But if a hunter was to take a small buck for eating purposes only, I think it makes more sense to just take a doe instead. My points are not condraticting, your misunderstanding them.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I can understand this. It makes sense, but this is not the OBR. Our OBR doesnt limit antler size, so this is not a problem for IN. I definitely understand how this could affect Mississippi though, but I think whether the 4pt rule is in effect or not, hunters are still gonna choose to shoot a young 8 over a more mature spike or 4pt. Thats just the way it goes. Like I said in my other post, unfortunately most hunters dont think about the conservation aspect of hunting, they just want to shoot the buck with the most points.

My post was in reference to tyrajam and Yeah's post..

I think you could be wrong on "most points". What I am seeing and the age shift bears this out, is that hunters are selecting more mature bucks..lots of points or not.

The six pointer I killed was 4 1/2 years old and the bull of the woods in that area.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    The resource can well withstand it, easily. Bucks and does are still being born at the same rate of 1.2 bucks to 1 doe. Yet in Indiana is one has the time, money and places to hunt in each county they can kill over 450+ does. Does that make sense to anyone on here?

It is not about "shooting two bucks" but the opportunity to get out and hunt that second buck IF one is fortunate enough to get their first.

This is not biological...it is something atht two groups pushed through and now we are stuck with it. If it was bioligiacl these groups would want Chad Stewart (Indiana deer Biologist) to conduct a two buck modern trial to see what effect the OBR has and will continue to have on the herd. The are afraid of that...just go with gut feelings..and political pull..

The red is what I disagree with I guess. I'll volunteer myself as a personal example.

2010, I killed a 155" buck on Halloween. I had to doe hunt from then on out, obviously. I missed all of the rut. Did I miss 'the opportunity to get out and hunt A SECOND BUCK'? No. I still got to go out and hunt. I'd done plenty of damage in the buck category.

This year, I killed a buck that is over 200" gross. This was opening day of firearms. Did I miss not getting to hunt the following 13 days of firearms. Nope.

This is my thought process--OBR does lead to more mature bucks, which leads to more bigger racks. MOST hunters will trade getting one 150" buck for two year and a half 8 points per season. That minority that want 2 HRB bucks each season might seem a little selfish to me. :twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have been having good seasons for many years now. What i do miss is the time I used to spend in the woods in bow season. I have just been concentrating on gun season. I can pop a few does easy enough then and any buck I chose.

During bow it was always, Will i see a better one later.

Ps I was one of the guys who did at times take more than one buck a year. Once it was 3 when you add in the state park hunt. I still see more deer overall now than since 1976.

Top Bottom