• Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I did it again!
    First let me say that two months ago I knew nothing about the 9x18 Makarov round or eastern European guns in general. In mid-December I decided to buy a CZ-82 in 9x18 Mak that I saw on Gunbroker. I had never purchased a gun online before but that's another story. A few days later I get a call from my LGS (shout out to Four Guns in Lafayette) and picked up my gun. It was beautiful in black duracoat and desert tan plastic grips. It shot great and was a lot of fun....so, next thing you know I'm at the Indy 1500 and the only place I could wedge in to the tables happened to be directly in front of a glass case which had several smallish steel pistols. Next thing I know I am the (somewhat) proud owner of a Polish P-64. Same story. Shoots great and is a lot of fun. Who knew these little all-steel pistols would be so great. I admit to being really surprised at the quality of these pistols. I assumed that having been made behind the "iron curtain" that quality would be poor. Nothing could be further from the truth. These are great guns, well made, very easy to maintain and an absolute blast to shoot. The 9x18 Makarov ammo is available in bulk for between $10-$11 a box so I can shoot them a lot without having to get a second job. Well, today I did it again. Although not chambered in 9x18. The CZ 70 I purchased today looks to be of the same quality of the others and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I know this is not news to many of you but, for me, it was a revelation. To anyone looking for a great plinker which is more than serviceable for concealed (CZ-82) or pocket (P-64) carry, I highly recommend them. For a couple hundred bucks, more or less, these might be the one of the best guns, dollar for dollar, that you can buy.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up a CZ-70 at the 1500 show last summer, came with 2 mags and a shoulder holster. Great gun and no recoil to speak of. For some reason I sold it a few months later and greatly regret it.

I did pick up a CZ-83 in .32 acp at the last show and was tempted by the several surplus .380 CZ-s I saw.

Maybe I'll change my sig line to read "Embrace communism, hug your AK".

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Dang it.... why did I read this thread?

Now you've got me searching Gunbroker.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've read mixed reviews on the FEG. That's why I got the CZ 82. I am seriously thinking about a Polish p-83 or a Bulgarian Mak. Not sure yet.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    again i started with the CZ82 and my love for 9mak round... that handgun got me to buy my p64 then i picked up a east german mak love them all great handguns never had problems with any of them.... and Brown Bear 9mak im buying FMJ for $9.75 from AIM Surplus plus shipping

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I've decided that ALMOST all of the Czech weapons are just pretty damn nice. I like nearly every model of CZ I've ever tinkered with going all the back to the CZ24. Brno and DOT marked Mausers are some of the nicest I've ever come across.

One of the interesting things I noticed about Czech weaponry is they almost never directly adopted what the rest of the Com Bloc was doing.

Tokarevs? "No thank you, comrade! We have the Cz52"
    Makarovs? "No thank you, comrade! We have the Cz82"
    SKS? "No thank you, comrade! We have the Vz52"
    AK? "No thank you, comrade! We have the Vz58"

Seems like about the only thing they did share in common with the rest of the Warsaw Pact was ammunition (and even then, the Vz52 had its own unique ammo).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You can add a CZ 70 and a Polish P 83 to the list. The 70, which is a .32ACP, will just be for fun. The P83, when it proves reliable, will probably see some CC time. Can't get enough of these little gems.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    You guys need your C&R FFL so you can get those shipped to your door. I recently got a CZ82 shipped in and I think the P64 is next on the list!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The CZ 82s seem more plentiful so I think I would snag a good P-64 when it comes along. I know there is a shop in Lafayette that has one for sale. I just received confirmation that my P-83 was shipped this morning. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, lol.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    The only trouble (and it's just an annoyance, really) is you'll be required to log any C&R weapon you buy or sell after you get the license... whether you use your license or not to get it.

Top Bottom