• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Technically, if EVERYONE carried, we wouldn't need these discussions, but I assume you meant all carriers to carry concealed. So I pose this logical question for you; how is this concealed carry scaretactic working out for society right now? Last I checked, there are still plenty of crimes being committed against those you claim CC helps to protect. I suggest rethinking you're logic.

I think it's working out pretty good. All states now allow people to carry guns, Most of them allow for concealed carry. Shootings of all types, fatal and nonfatal are down. Even if everyone carried a gun and every criminal knew that, there would still be violent crime. That can't ever be totally snuffed out so the fact that there is still violent crime doesn't delegitimize my point. We will never hear a news story about the guy who WAS going to rob someone but decided not to because he feared the victim might have a gun. Or of the home invasion that never happened because of a fear of being shot. We only hear of the ones that did occur and thankfully, we hear on local news stations of all the times when the home invader was shot. Every time we hear of one where the homeowners were raped or killed, gun sales shoot up in that area.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure how that logic works. Since a majority of gun owners already conceal. Yet we still have criminals.

When we look at the data though, we find that more people carry guns today than did 30 years ago and we have fewer shootings. We will always have criminals who are violent no matter what. The trick is to minimize the number of them that are willing to commit violent acts on others.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Show us some of these stories of people who OC having their guns snatched off of their bodies.

It used to be only people with ill intentions concealed their weapons.

I seen a news story on YouTube where a very large strong man was robbed of his openly carried pistol. I also know someone who was showing a gun to someone to sell it and 2 young men walked up to him because they seen his gun. They pointed their gun at him and took his pistol. He wasn't open carrying it, he was trying to sell it to someone else, but those 2 young men targeted him only because they seen he had a gun and they wanted to take it. I'm not saying that open carrying gets your gun taken away every time, I'm just saying that IF someone wants to steal a gun, the guy who has a visible gun is going to be targeted over the guy that has a concealed gun.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    We will never hear a news story about the guy who WAS going to rob someone but decided not to because he feared the victim might have a gun. Or of the home invasion that never happened because of a fear of being shot. We only hear of the ones that did occur and thankfully, we hear on local news stations of all the times when the home invader was shot. .

That's not true at all. I know of news articles that show OC has deterred crime.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's not true at all. I know of news articles that show OC has deterred crime.

I know OC has deterred crime. I was talking about which kind of carry protects unarmed people more. The fact that people conceal carry means that you can't look at a person with no visible gun and tell whether or not they have a gun or not. If, for example, the laws were such that it was only legal to OC, then an unarmed person would be easy to spot. Victims would be easier to pick out.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I know OC has deterred crime. I was talking about which kind of carry protects unarmed people more. The fact that people conceal carry means that you can't look at a person with no visible gun and tell whether or not they have a gun or not. If, for example, the laws were such that it was only legal to OC, then an unarmed person would be easy to spot. Victims would be easier to pick out.

Ok. I agree. My goal isn't to protect the unarmed people though.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok. I agree. My goal isn't to protect the unarmed people though.

I know. That isn't why I carry either, but if a lot of people do carry and it makes a criminal think twice about attacking some old woman because he knows a lot of peopel conceal carry, & she might be one of them, that's a good side effect.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ok, you might have a point...but can anyone offer a reason why someone might want to openly carry a firearm?

uhhhh, to keep the bad guys from attacking the one Open Carrying perhaps..

Unless you can show me a few stories of a person OC got shot 1st.

It is more comfortable.

It is my God given right to do so.

OK, there are a few, what else do you want to know?

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think it's an interesting debate, even if someone else started a thread or 6 about the same subject. I mean, how many Glock or Sig threads are there? Probably more than those guns have parts.

Last edited:

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    we don't have open carry in texas...how often have you guys seen LEO check the licenses of your open carries ? if, concealed, they don't know to ask and, unless something confrontational arises, they won't know. does it come up often on the street?

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    as a continuation of my above question, how does LEO know that it isn't a criminal with an open carry if he doesn't check licenses to verify everybody ?

Top Bottom