• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    ok I am a novice studying for my 1st license, I am looking for radio suggestions as I have family in other states. I would like to monitor 2m 6m 10m and 11m would prefer a mobile unit that could be used as a fixed base unit. but will only use 10 as my license allows WHEN i get to take it and pass it. I realize that multi-band has performance losses.
    I would also like a handheld portable with same features EXCEPT 11m

I will be looking to shop later this year

Thanks
    Gutpile

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    gutpile -- WELCOME to INGO!!! Take a good look thru the Preparedness sub-forum and you'll find lots of info on radios. Couple of of things:

(1) as a Tech, you can operate on 2M, 6M and part of 10M
    (2) You'll not find a stock radio with ham freqs and 11M (some radios may be opened up to allow 11M, but it is against FCC rules).
    (3) Don't be afraid of multi-band radios; the performance loss is not enough to worry about. But, most radios with 2M/6M/10M are FM only; if you want SSB (& should use for 6M &10M), you really need an HF rig.
    (4) If you want to talk to family in other states, you (all) really need to get your General license and HF rigs.

My have/use:
    handheld: Yaesu FT-60R (VHF.UHF) and 2, Icom IC-8 (VHF)
    mobile: Yaesu FT-8800R (VHF/UHF; dual-band)
    HF: Icom IC-706MKIIG (HF/VHF; multi-band & all modes)

The IC-706MKIIG is really a mobile/portable radio, but it's all I have at this time. Also, for portable use, I use the Buddipole (have home-made & commercial models).

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me if you have more questions. -- Greg, K9TLA

PS: I'm sure Sailor and others will 'jump in'; we have a knowledgeable group here.

Top Bottom