• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Remington makes a commander sized 1911 now that would go quite nicely with your R1. Or, you can change things up a bit and look at the Ruger commander sized 1911. One of my favorite summer carry 1911s is a Kimber Compact which is an officer size grip under a commander size slide. I've become a real fan of the commander sized 1911s as they seem to have a nice balance to them.

The deeper I get into 1911s, the more I understand the trepidation regarding the 3 inch 1911s. But, I did have a Kimber Ultra Carry that never gave me a single issue. My opinion of them now is that they can run just fine for a fair amount of time, but they need to be kept fresh. A full size 1911 will tolerate tired springs or mag issues more so than a micro 1911. I ended up selling mine because I found the Kimber Compact gave me everything I wanted and was more fun to shoot.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    BWC or CQB compact are the holy grail of carry pistols. Although Serp's Ed Brown gets my vote.

I just oust recently went the round but commander route

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    +1. I know, the monkey woman and some others will be here soon to reaffirm our faith in the little ones, but I'm with this wise cat. Commander and up.
    Kinda/sorta.
    I prefer the compact frame because it fits my hands better...but I'm totally down with Commander barrel. So I choose the best of both worlds with the CCO.

I did have a Kimber Ultra Carry that never gave me a single issue.
    I picked up where he^ left off, and I had no issues for hundreds...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since I took the picture this morning for another thread figured I would share it here as well. I picked this one up in January. Just replaced the grips, put about 400 rounds through it on three different outings. Tried a bunch of different hollowpoints, factory ball and my handloads. Now it can officially enter the rotation and I have retired the Glock to range bag to use as a loaner gun. My transition is almost complete.

758ddf0c-794c-4bc2-8672-f3ce0a82c64e_zpsb2175b00.jpg

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I carry a Kimber Compact (series I). It is my favorite carry gun. It is reliable, amazingly accurate, and conceals easily. I would be somewhat less confident in the ultra compacts yet there are those who have had good experiences with them as attested to in this thread.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've shot and carried a Colt Defender for several years now. And as long as I keep fresh springs and Wilson Combat magazines loaded with Speer, 230 grain HP's in her, I will trust her with my life.

Top Bottom