• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I've got an m&p 9 full size with about 700 rounds of target practice. Today I tried out a 380 for the first time, a s&w bodyguard 380. Obviously these are completely different guns. But, I was surprised by the amount of kick of the 380 compared to the full size 9, not to mention the ridiculous challenge I found trying to be accurate at 7 yards. I was all over a 10" target with the 380 when using either sights or laser or both. With the 9 I could get a 2-3" group shooting one-handed with my weak hand. My wrist is still sore from the 50 rounds of 380.

Anyway - very different guns with very different purposes. I was just surprised at just how challenging the little 380 was on many counts by comparison. Does this sound like a typical experience?

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Gun size plays a huge role in perceived recoil because the weapon absorbs much of the recoil. Add in the fact that you are used to the M&P, and it makes sense.

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    I didn't seem to have a problem shooting the .380. Obviously the small gun size will make it seem like it's got a lot of recoil compared to a full size gun.

valmoth

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had almost the exact same experience with the bodyguard compared to my glock 19. I took me awhile to get even halfway decent with the long trigger pull on the bodyguard.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    the smith body guard is a good concealed carry gun, its not a gun your going to hit pop cans with, is it all because the size and caliber of the gun..no.. alot of it is because the double action only trigger, take a 380 that size with a single action pull such as the colt mustang, or sig 238 938 or a walther ppk series in the single action, and your be able to hit pop cans. i like the body guard but there triggers make them hard to shoot, good for concealed carry though.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Dry fire the Bodyguard. After a bit your finger and wrist become a custom to the pull and accuracy improves. For some weird reason, some days at the range i shoot the BG better than my M&P.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have found the S&W Bodyguard .380 to be very accurate - just not extremely pleasant to shoot a lot. I put about 50 rounds through it each time I hit the range to maintain proficiency, but at that point I'm usually ready to put it aside and go to the fun machines.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I've also done the M&P 9/ BG .380 back to back on range day and while I liked the feel of the Bg in my hand I just couldn't adjust for the trigger pull. It was my buddies pocket carry and he could actually shoot it very well, but agreed that the pull on my TCP was a lot more pleasant. I've shot it on multiple occasions and actually found that the site picture is very nice, and the gun is pretty accurate out to 7 yards depending on the shooter. We did have some trouble shooting tula ammo through it with the hard primers(Fired the second time, double strike capability is a major plus), but the 9mm ate anything we could put through it without complaining. There is a noticeable recoil difference between the two but adjusting your hand and taking a more firm grip should help.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The weight of the gun is a huge factor. A lightweight gun can double felt recoil for me. Still, the smaller .380 round should kick less than or equal to its big brother--but this is not the case with many small .380's. On many it seems to kick twice as hard as 9mm from my experience, despite the shorter cartridge, which is counter intuitive.

I've been looking for a low recoil gun for my wife, and doing some more research, and now I believe the extra kick from many .380's is simply because they use direct blow back, instead of firing from a locked breech. The energy consumed unlocking the breech, and delay it causes, apparently reduce recoil very significantly (50%?).

Of course Hi Point 9mm pistols are famous for using direct block back, and no one complains about their recoil, right? That's because they have a huge, heavy slide to not only add weight to the gun, but to delay the blow back somewhat. Adding a heavy slide on a small pocket pistol isn't practical at all.

Last edited:

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    PPKs are blowback only (barrel's pressed and pinned) and quite snappy in 380. I have a PPK/S and it's not as fun to shoot as I thought it would be.

Edit: I think you might be thinking of the PK380.
    Edit2: And the PK380 has an outstanding recall as of last month, trigger firing with safety on.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    PPKs are blowback only (barrel's pressed and pinned) and quite snappy in 380. I have a PPK/S and it's not as fun to shoot as I thought it would be.

Edit: I think you might be thinking of the PK380.
    Edit2: And the PK380 has an outstanding recall as of last month, trigger firing with safety on.

Yep, I got confused. People do say the PPK has low recoil, I guess because of its size and all metal frame alone, but I kinda doubt it is as good as I'd expect it to be. I bet the pk380 shoots better, but it seems to be a problematic design.

I'm thinking Kahr might be the way to go, but it looks smaller than the PPK, and weight is important. I really would like one the size of the PPK, all metal, except locked breech. I'm aiming for .22-like recoil...

Kahr P380 – Range Report

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Yep, I got confused. People do say the PPK has low recoil, I guess because of its size and all metal frame alone, but I kinda doubt it is as good as I'd expect it to be. I bet the pk380 shoots better, but it seems to be a problematic design.

I'm thinking Kahr might be the way to go, but it looks smaller than the PPK, and weight is important. I really would like one the size of the PPK, all metal, except locked breech. I'm aiming for .22-like recoil...

Kahr P380 – Range Report

Yea, it's recoil isn't bad for it's size, but it's still not great. Most people that say the PPK is soft to shoot, are talking about the 32acp ones. The Sig p238 is hefty for it's size. I've coonfingered one, but never shot it (really want to though). I would lean towards that or the Kahr. You could also try looking for an old Beretta 84. Blowback, but I've heard they're pretty comfy. I don't think it's very small though. Probably a little larger than the PPK.

I believe the PK380 is made by Umarex, the air pistol co that also makes the Walther P22.

All in all, I doubt you're going to get .22-like recoil from a 380. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Gun size plays a huge role in perceived recoil because the weapon absorbs much of the recoil. ...

And, tiny pocket guns have shorter sight radii, generally heavy trigger pulls (with some exceptions), and other worse ergonomics, etc. - all of which contribute to increasing the challenge of being able to shoot them accurately.

Typical.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Thanks guys - INGO proves helpful as always. Just need some more practice. I got it for carry and it certainly works for that purpose, but it also makes me appreciate the m&p 9 that much more as a shooter.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    The 380 can be a bit snappy but I love my Bersa for what it is...a very reliable, concealable semi auto. I think he recoil is very similar tour 38 snubby ultra light but my wife far prefers the 38. I think part hat is simply her comfort level with the functionality of a wheel gun vs. s auto.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was just surprised at just how challenging the little 380 was on many counts by comparison. Does this sound like a typical experience?

You mean that the little pocket, rocket .380s are have a lot of perceived recoil, long double action triggers and generally speaking bad sights? But everybody knows they are great for novice shooters! Heck they are perfect for women because they come in pink.

The little micro .380s serve a purpose if a person absolutely has to have a very small BUG. But overall I personally like them about as much as Yeager likes 1911s and .40 S&W. The larger .380s can be very pleasant to shoot. Mrs. VERTs Walther PK380 has very light recoil. The Bersa Thunder is another easy shooter.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    The bodyguard has a lot of aspects that contribute to accuracy problems...long trigger pull...light weight and short barrel which make it very snappy..this
    Makes for slower and harder follow shots...two fingers on the grip for average hands..again allows more felt recoil and harder to control...safety is hard to disengage in a hurry and especially under duress...nice capacity..lasers are hit and miss and do not consistently activate...had one didnt like but they seem to be reliable and well made for the most part...i sold mine and got a new walther ppk made by smith and wesson...perfect pocket gun tho a little heavy...has a nice weight for shooting...blowback design puts the recall straight back into the web of ur hand and it has a nice a safety

Top Bottom