• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't see nearly the divide between the gamers and tactitards that we have in the past even as recently as 10 years ago. If I had to guess that is in large part due to all of the high profile ex spec ops guys who are now instructing that also espouse competition.

Imagine that....:rolleyes: Competency and skill are competency and skill whether it is square range gaming or real world 360 degree hot range ? Who'd have thought that dudes that can really shoot ....can really shoot? :cool:

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I spent 20 plus years teaching people who carrid pistols as part of their employment. All from the holster. They needed my Diploma to get their License.

That was in Canada. I also was a Board member of IALEFI (International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors) for twenty years. Now a US Citizen, living in Florida, my advice is quite simple. Same gun, same place, a spare magazine. Competition, join a Gun Club that shoots IDPA. Compete. Fun too.

My fighting skills came from working in night clubs in the busy sea port City of Liverpool UK, for 5 years, 1960 to 1965.
    Got stabbed twice, working at the Cavern Club of Beatles fame. On Matheww Street. 1960 till 64. Fighting with fists/feet. and boots is good training as well!

Hey Scouse, good to see you...been a little while since Glocktalk.....you probably remember me as Cruel Hand Luke. I actually mentioned you in a Low Light class I was teaching last month when we were talking about different flashlight methods. Good to see you here.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    This is my goal. I am thinning my "herd" to one pistol to do it all; range, home defense, carry, competition, training, not necessarily in that order.

I will still own other handguns but I'm going to commit to one.
    I don't know your age but it sounds like you struggle with the same eye issues that I do, I simply don't see the sights well. I managed to get very comfortable with a red dot but I was pretty sure I would struggle to find the dot if I used it on my carry gun. When I decided to embarrass myself at one of Coach's carry gun matches I was pleasantly surprised. I had used the red dot enough shooting paper that when I pushed the gun out the dot was magically appeared every time and I did very well. If you would like to meet at Shoot Point Blank in Greenwood I believe after a little coaching you might be shocked how well the RDS will work for you. PM me if you are interested in meeting. It's always enjoyable to have the possibility of fresh blood at the Carry gun match.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I never understood this controversy. I've never been in a gunfight, but I've never heard anyone who has say "geeze, that would sure have gone better if my shooting and gun handling skills weren't so sharp".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I never understood this controversy. I've never been in a gunfight, but I've never heard anyone who has say "geeze, that would sure have gone better if my shooting and gun handling skills weren't so sharp".

In the past, much of the issue on both sides was based on ignorance. The tactical tommy types were convinced that 100% of the people who shoot in competitions use comped raceguns with red dots, race holsters, and could not possible shoot without all of the fancy gear. On the other side, the competition shooters who derided those who spend time in self-defense training couldn't conceive of anything that could possibly be addressed in such training that didn't already know. Both were wrong.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A guy last weekend in a rangemaster class told me that competition shooting skills were just window dressing skills.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I don't see nearly the divide between the gamers and tactitards that we have in the past even as recently as 10 years ago. If I had to guess that is in large part due to all of the high profile ex spec ops guys who are now instructing that also espouse competition.

Not a new phenomenon but definitely more prevalent these days. I first started shooting competition while with 2/75 in the early 80's. In the late 80's early 90's several of the guys who regularly shot down in Area 6 were SOF types with relaxed grooming standards. As a matter of fact, the USPSA High Military Award was for several years named the Matt Rierson Award after my Ranger Buddy who was killed in Somalia while he was with Delta. Matt was a regular USPSA competitor.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I took a class last year at Briggs core Dynamics in Fowler. Kris Paronto and Dave Boon Benton were there as instructors. They are a couple of ex-military guys who were featured in the movie 13 hours in Benghazi.
    I was wearing a USPSA Nationals t-shirt on one of the days and Boon asked me about it. He said he didn't get a chance to shoot it that he does like shooting competition. He says it made great strides on his ability with a pistol.
    I know it made me a better shooter. Not as good as I wanted to be but a lot better than I used to be.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shot a match today. Managed to not die in the street on the way home.

Top Bottom