• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I see quite a bit of courses offered regarding defensive training, combat tactics, and shooting of this nature. I am looking for training very specific to competiton. Perhaps, not limited to a single competition style, but focused on competition shooting. Does anybody know if anything like this? marksmanship, speed, strategy, target leading, different gun selection and shooting styles....any info would be appreciated.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I see quite a bit of courses offered regarding defensive training, combat tactics, and shooting of this nature. I am looking for training very specific to competiton. Perhaps, not limited to a single competition style, but focused on competition shooting. Does anybody know if anything like this? marksmanship, speed, strategy, target leading, different gun selection and shooting styles....any info would be appreciated.

Check out the Training with a Gm in this training section. I offer exactlly what you are talking about. I offer training for all the different weapons used in USPSA type matches. Max

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Check out the Training with a Gm in this training section. I offer exactlly what you are talking about. I offer training for all the different weapons used in USPSA type matches. Max

While I haven't had the opportunity to train with Max (but I will) I have shot with him for years and I would highly recommend him.

Not knowing where you are located if you are north central or west you could contact thr fellows from ACT. They have classes at various locations and they provide competion training as well as defensive.

You can't go wrong either way

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    NPCCC, Chesterton IN (NWI) will have a course on October 15 at 0800.

North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

Its an intro class. I'll try to find more details.

And here are more details

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/168753-something_new_at_npccc.html

Its a posting I made about a week ago. TD and Bill are good people and its geared to competition in general.

I'm heading to ACC tomorrow for USPSA specific training.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5-act_instructional_league_at_acc_9_24_a.html

-joe

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I am teaching a class tomorrow at the Atlanta Conservation Club and another one October 8 at MCFG.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm still pretty new to the sport also. I've been to ACT's instructional league, and several of their classes but I really don't have anything to compare it to.

(Someone please chime in if I'm off on this) To describe the instructional league (which is what Coach is referring to at ACC) it is ran somewhat like a USPSA competition but they break it down for you. Before and after your "run" Coach and others go through all the options and differing logics of how to shoot the course.

They also cover really well all the safety and procedural stuff so you don't feel like the only guy that doesn't know what is going on when you show up to a real USPSA shoot. There are usually a core group of guys there that do this every weekend, some guys there that don't shoot very frequently so they took the course, and several noobs so you get to really see the full spectrum. Also, because there are guys from all levels at these things the atmosphere is such that everyone is more than willing to chat it up about whatever you may have questions about. Unless you see a guy that goes my Downrange72, avoid him, he is a bitter bitter man. I personally have found that it is true about gun owners in general no matter what the occasion but at the classes/ instructional leagues even the high end competitors are not trying to be "in the zone" and focusing on the previous or next string of fire and therefore more laid back and eager to help anyone out.

If you can't tell I really like the ACT guys but I can't really say I'm biased because I really don't have any exposure outside of their curriculum. I can say that you are not going to disappointed with the class.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Our defensive pistol course is based on IDPA scenarios, with IDPA targets. You will learn all of the safety officer/range commands specific to most competition shooting sports, as well as shooting on the move, clearing malfunctions, using cover and concealment, reloads, drawing from concealment, and shooting with strong & weak hands. Our Defensive Pistol course is always done ONE ON ONE! Please let me know if we can help. (Email or phone would be best)

Last edited:

Freeborn Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Memphis, IN
    I can wholeheartedly recommend both Max and Coach! I think Max is only doing one on one training for USPSA style shooting now but earlier in the year I attended 2 of his training classes in a group setting.

Max and Coach both cover safety and shooting fundamentals. From the draw to movement and everything in between. They have different training styles and I learned a tremendous amount from both of them. I've been on the same squad at the matches with them and they definitely helped me there as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to learn from either. And I will also continue to learn from them as well. It is a worthwhile investment and a real value.

Matt

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I'm still pretty new to the sport also. I've been to ACT's instructional league, and several of their classes but I really don't have anything to compare it to.

(Someone please chime in if I'm off on this) To describe the instructional league (which is what Coach is referring to at ACC) it is ran somewhat like a USPSA competition but they break it down for you. Before and after your "run" Coach and others go through all the options and differing logics of how to shoot the course.

They also cover really well all the safety and procedural stuff so you don't feel like the only guy that doesn't know what is going on when you show up to a real USPSA shoot. There are usually a core group of guys there that do this every weekend, some guys there that don't shoot very frequently so they took the course, and several noobs so you get to really see the full spectrum. Also, because there are guys from all levels at these things the atmosphere is such that everyone is more than willing to chat it up about whatever you may have questions about. Unless you see a guy that goes my Downrange72, avoid him, he is a bitter bitter man. I personally have found that it is true about gun owners in general no matter what the occasion but at the classes/ instructional leagues even the high end competitors are not trying to be "in the zone" and focusing on the previous or next string of fire and therefore more laid back and eager to help anyone out.

That is not right...This moderator thing has gotten to your head:D. Topher, purple=sarcasm. Note there is no purple here. :laugh:

If you can't tell I really like the ACT guys but I can't really say I'm biased because I really don't have any exposure outside of their curriculum. I can say that you are not going to disappointed with the class.

ACT is definitely quality instruction. Coach, Rhino, Obijohn can pretty much get you any training you desire.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both Max and Coach! I think Max is only doing one on one training for USPSA style shooting now but earlier in the year I attended 2 of his training classes in a group setting.

Max and Coach both cover safety and shooting fundamentals. From the draw to movement and everything in between. They have different training styles and I learned a tremendous amount from both of them. I've been on the same squad at the matches with them and they definitely helped me there as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to learn from either. And I will also continue to learn from them as well. It is a worthwhile investment and a real value.

Matt

Having shot with Matt since the beginning of the year. He has improved quite a bit. I agree you can't go wrong with Max or Coach.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This opinion is on subject, but is probably a little different suggestion than most people would think. Shooting, especially competitive shooting is actually more athletic than most peole think about. Good upper body strength and good cardio will often do as much to help your scores as other training. To condition for pistol shooting, I would tie or tape weights to my forearms and dry fire, building the mass motor controls to hold the firearm steady as well as the fine motor controls to control the trigger. I would also use a mountain bike in a very low gear and pedal fast enough to get my heart rate up and keep it up, for maybe 20 minutes at a time. This cardio conditioning paid off in a lot steadier hold both in rifles and pistols during the heat and stress of competition. When your body is working properly, your mind can focus on the mental aspect of the game. Good Luck

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This opinion is on subject, but is probably a little different suggestion than most people would think. Shooting, especially competitive shooting is actually more athletic than most peole think about. Good upper body strength and good cardio will often do as much to help your scores as other training. To condition for pistol shooting, I would tie or tape weights to my forearms and dry fire, building the mass motor controls to hold the firearm steady as well as the fine motor controls to control the trigger. I would also use a mountain bike in a very low gear and pedal fast enough to get my heart rate up and keep it up, for maybe 20 minutes at a time. This cardio conditioning paid off in a lot steadier hold both in rifles and pistols during the heat and stress of competition. When your body is working properly, your mind can focus on the mental aspect of the game. Good Luck

I walked off the wrestling mat March 6, 1991 at Nationals and I have not run or lifted since. I have gone from 217 to 308 in that time. Serious 3 gun might be different from my experience. Being in shape cannot hurt but not necessary.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wow coach, that's a big difference in weight. My "fighting weight" is 205 and I felt great at that level. I am now 250 and feel poorly a lot of the time. I would guess that would get winded humping a rifle and 40 lbs of gear up and down a highpower rifle range. Standing in heat does not seem to bother me since I moved up from Texas, but I work up a sweat pretty easy. Good to hear you are still doing well.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    +1 for Coach's Instructional League. He has also offered an Competition Class (not sure of the name of it) and it is also very fun and informational. I have taken several classes from the guys at ACT and highly recommend them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Hey, Topher:

As has been mentioned, ACT has two complementary avenues of training for competition. One is our formal CP101 Intro to Competition, which is a one-day class that gives you a comprehensive introduction to USPSA/IPSC shooting and to a lesser degree, IDPA and similar disciplines. We've also occasionally offered a CP201 that builds on CP101, but features all shooting and competition techniques (the rules and match structure are covered in CP101). The other are the Instructional Leagues that Coach operates. They're essentially practice matches, operated just like a "real" USPSA match, but with Coach offering you assistance and constructive criticism on how to maximize your performance. You get to shoot three different stages twice each.

In addition to that, our IP101 Intermediate Pistol is one of our most popular offering (it definitely has the most repeat students). It's all about marksmanship and gun handling skills that are applicable to competition as well as defensive use. Our next offering of IP101 is 08 OCT 2011 in at Marion Co. F&G in Speedway, IN.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wow coach, that's a big difference in weight. My "fighting weight" is 205 and I felt great at that level. I am now 250 and feel poorly a lot of the time. I would guess that would get winded humping a rifle and 40 lbs of gear up and down a highpower rifle range. Standing in heat does not seem to bother me since I moved up from Texas, but I work up a sweat pretty easy. Good to hear you are still doing well.

Proably. I go very far I do it by pick up truck.:D

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I'm leaning towards competition training as well. A shooting course like in videos seems like a great deal of fun. With my limited experience it seems that training for competition lends itself towards defensive situations to a greater degree then vice-versa.

Top Bottom