Complacency, Ohio instructor shoots a student in the arm...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Complacency can strike anywhere and at any time. If you aren't giving the respect and attention required to properly and safely handle a firearm, you shouldn't be handling them.

A 73 y/o instructor in Ohio let one fly into a desk and struck one of the 30 people in his class.

For some reason I have flashbacks of the DEA guy...

Hopefully some valuable lessons can be learned from this incident.

Student shot by instructor at safety class in Ohio.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I heard about this on Bob and Tom this morning. LOL

Hopefully he doesn't rely on teaching as his income. This will certainly hurt his bottom line.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Unpossible. I know from the Internet:

1. That guns are completely safe and can be waved about with complete impunity.

2. You cannot have an ND with a revolver.

3. The Four Rules are outdated and the new hotness is to put people at risk of harm because the world is not a square range . . . or something.

My question: did he think he had a blue gun? I betcha he did think he had a blue gun and that it was "safe" to wave the handgun about.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Well if this would have been a police officer it would have been considered an accidental discharge, since they obviously arent ever negligent in any of their actions.

Gunner

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He was just trying to create a realistic training environment, show them that the real world isn't a box shaped range, and give the EMTs present a chance to practice their craft. Seems like a great instructor to me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He was just trying to create a realistic training environment, show them that the real world isn't a box shaped range, and give the EMTs present a chance to practice their craft. Seems like a great instructor to me.

Alright, Mr. Helper, you aren't helping.:D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Gee willikers............... Hey pro downrange photo guys................

24738566.jpg

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    I saw that earlier today and wondered if it was posted up here already (didn't want to risk a repost).

Sounds like a case of do as I say, not as I do from the safety instructor.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I saw that earlier today and wondered if it was posted up here already (didn't want to risk a repost).

Sounds like a case of do as I say, not as I do from the safety instructor.

But I've heard right here on this very board that it CAN NOT happen when a qualified instructor is in command.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But I've heard right here on this very board that it CAN NOT happen when a qualified instructor is in command.

Pfffft, silly rabbit, one is only qualified if certimafied from MY school.:D

Only then can you step outside your square range bubble and learn to become tH3 d34dly! My school teaches that guns, bah, are sorta safe. Safe enough to point at students, sometimes or something or other, world is not a square range, magical tactical language, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well if this would have been a police officer it would have been considered an accidental discharge, since they obviously arent ever negligent in any of their actions.

Gunner

Don't know where you get your info, but on my department it would certainly be called an "ND" and you're eating a suspension even if no one is hurt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's what I've always been told.

It does take a much more dedicated attitude of apathy/negligence to have an ND with a wheel gun. YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, heavy trigger, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, no need to pull the trigger to open it up, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, when you unload it there's no chance of one still being in the chamber like when you drop a magazine but forget to rack the slide on a self loader, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER..and seems like maybe I'm forgetting something. Ah, yes, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER.

Of all the accidental self-inflicted GSWs I've seen, they've all been with semi-autos. #1 cause is dropping the magazine but not clearing the chamber and then pulling the trigger (often as part of the process to break the weapon down for cleaning). #2 is playing with it. Thumbing the hammer and letting it drop, spinning it cowboy style (yes, seriously), etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It does take a much more dedicated attitude of apathy/negligence to have an ND with a wheel gun. YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, heavy trigger, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, no need to pull the trigger to open it up, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER, when you unload it there's no chance of one still being in the chamber like when you drop a magazine but forget to rack the slide on a self loader, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER..and seems like maybe I'm forgetting something. Ah, yes, YOU CAN SEE THE CARTRIDGE IN THE CYLINDER.
    :):

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    He claimed he didnt know it was loaded. Training fail......but excellent example made to the rest of the class...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It's all good, there's no reason to feel unsettled being swept by a muzzle. After all he was a professional instructor. If you are nervous about being swept then you probably weren't in the military and don't have anything in your signature line about being a trainer so get over it. It happens everywhere so get used to it. :n00b:

Top Bottom