• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    So I know how most of you feel about safe queens, but I have a matchmaster that I want to make look like the 1911 fox uses in Wanted. The problem is I can't seem to find somewhere that will make me the grips. Anyone know where I could get them done? I tried Custom Killer Grips once before but the guy was horrible so I contacted paypal and got my money back. Any help would be great. Also looking for someplace to do the custom slide engraving for it too.
    Thanks
    Jt

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    That would be a pretty cool idea!
    I really like the look of the 1911-

That's what I thought. But I need to find someone to make the grips and then someone to do the slide work.
    Here is the gun... quick story about the pic- I ordered the gun right after the movie came out in 2008 and I waited for it for a long time. Every time my FFL called to get an update all they would tell him was that it had not shipped yet. So my unit got deployed to Iraq and I called them right before I left and they told me the same thing. 400 days later I got home and I asked about it so my mom called Olympic Arms and asked how long it would take to get one. They told her a few weeks so she asked why it was taking so long for mine so they connected her to the gunsmith who builds these guns (I guess there was only one) well he found my order and said that they still had it. My mom felt bad for me so she told the guy that I was coming home from Iraq and wanted my gun and the guy said he would get it done in the next week (I was already home) and ship it out. The week it came in I got sent to a Corporals Course and so when it came I SKYPEd with my mom so I could see the gun I waited almost 2 years for. This is the first time I saw it.
    videocallsnapshot4jx.th.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Try contacting Joe Perkins of Outlaw Grips.

He's made some very unique grips for me, his work runs the gamut from expensive to very outrageous but its worth it and he utilizes some of the most unique materials on the planet.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Wow! Some patience-
    Thanks you for serving, I honestly couldnt wait that long for anything. I hope you can find what you want to complete this quest! Keep us posted on the progress! :yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not yet :) thanks for the link. Looks like I will be waiting a long time for these if I go with Wicked.

Any true custom grip is going to take time.

And the best grips are actually fitted to your gun frame so you have to send your gun to the grip maker. It takes time and money if you want quality. Its not unreasonable to spend $250 to $1000 for a set of true custom grips. Simple custom wood slabs will be on the bottom end of that price scale, inlays, stone, custom silver castings, etc can raise prices exponentially.

3 months is pretty quick turn around, a year is not unreasonable for full blown custom work.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Any true custom grip is going to take time.

And the best grips are actually fitted to your gun frame so you have to send your gun to the grip maker. It takes time and money if you want quality. Its not unreasonable to spend $250 to $1000 for a set of true custom grips. Simple custom wood slabs will be on the bottom end of that price scale, inlays, stone, custom silver castings, etc can raise prices exponentially.

3 months is pretty quick turn around, a year is not unreasonable for full blown custom work.

That is what I am seeing. Geez this is going to be an expensive project. I think I should do the grips first though so that the slide engraving can line up with the grips. No the question is do I get the comp and magwell before I do the grips. From looking at Wicked's sight it looks like I should at least get the magwell so they can fit it to the magwell (maybe).

How about engravers who are maybe local that I could get the slide done by? I am just looking around right now, but I am interested in starting this soon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't know any local engravers. I would strongly suggest that you do things like install the mag well, add the compensator, etc. Anything like that should come first. The grips could come either before or after the engraving since the engraver can match up to the grips or the grip maker (assuming he's a good one) will match up to the engraving.

I would probably trust Wicked Grips, but I trust Joe Perkins at Outlaw more since I have sent him several of my guns and he's fitted the grips to the gun. I don't know if Wicked Grips fits their grips to the gun frame. Joe has my Giraffe and Silver Inlay grips on his website.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Does he do custom scrimshawing or carving on them?
    Call him up.

I think you'll find that he does pretty much anything or will put you in touch with someone who can. I found him to be very helpful in the past.

She does not do custom work. At best you'll get semi-custom from her and last time I spoke with her she stopped the semi-custom grips. I do have a set of her semi-custom grips, but those are several years old.

Top Bottom