• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    looks like it will have to be 1x6... the CAMO system does not work w/ anything wider than 5.5

You're referring to this Camo Fastener system?

CAMO.jpg

I built a new deck this past summer and used this same system. Lemme see if I can find any pics.

edit:
    Disregard my charcoal mishap, that just happens to be the best picture I have of the board tops
    B8X8OMK.jpg

UZgquac.jpg

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    For sealent and stain, i am going to go with true oil. Consumers cannot get it in IN but pros can. Consumers can get it in MI and I think KY or TN. sgpherwin Williams said they would ship it n for a pro but not for me. True oil is supposed to soak in better and give a better stain and seal.

Birchwood Casey True Oil?
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Wood-Finishing/Tru-Oil®-Stock-Finish.aspx

I would go with linseed oil(which is what True Oil mostly is).Very few treatments are better on lumber,and the cost is negligible when compared to more "modern" finishes that last half as long.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_206614-34228-CR.BL.M.05_0__?productId=3024067

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My old house had a treated deck and I used a product called Superdeck on it about every three years. It was built in 92 so you have some reference.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    looks like it will have to be 1x6... the CAMO system does not work w/ anything wider than 5.5
    I know Menard's sells 5/4 in. deck boards that have a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure if it's available in 2X6 or 2X8, but it might be worth checking on.

I went with the lifetime warranty treated wood. It's only a few pennies more than the one year warranty stock.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    2x8 would be a terrible choice anyway, you'd be asking for that board to cup...

And don't use 1x6, use a premium 5/4x6.

I meant to say 2x6 5/4 in my opinion eventually warps no matter how well its secured.... and I like the unique look of not having the rounded top edges.

I think I will buy the lumber and let it dry and use the camo tool that leaves a 1/8 inch gap. Wont have any trees near the deck so I shouldn't have to worry about debrees, as long as the water can et through.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

When you say 1x6 you will be better off going with 5/4 x 6 material. From my most recent decking project I will from now on be buying my materials from Nenard's. Lowe's material ended up shrinking as much as 3/4" in length leaving large gaps at the butt joints once it dried out. Over the years I have built many decks and this was the first time I have experienced this. It turned out to be a real mess. Obviously the material was not dried properly before being treated and it was dripping wet almost when I installed it. Still, I have never seen wood shrink this much in that direction. Shrinking in width is common and should be expected. Also the 5/4 x 6 decking from Menards is close to an actual 5/4" as opposed to Lowe's material which is closer to 1".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can linseedoil be used in conjunction with a stain? Or a stain added to it for color?

Linseed oil is in a lot of stains as the vehicle/resin base, more gets added sometimes to improve application. Mix a little of the two and see what they do, if it looks like it's coagulating it's best not to mix it up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can linseedoil be used in conjunction with a stain? Or a stain added to it for color?

Linseed oil is in a lot of stains as the vehicle/resin base, more gets added sometimes to improve application. Mix a little of the two and see what they do, if it looks like it's coagulating it's best not to mix it up. Keep an eye on your rags or brushes, linseed oil is known to support spontaneous combustion.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    When you say 1x6 you will be better off going with 5/4 x 6 material. From my most recent decking project I will from now on be buying my materials from Nenard's. Lowe's material ended up shrinking as much as 3/4" in length leaving large gaps at the butt joints once it dried out. Over the years I have built many decks and this was the first time I have experienced this. It turned out to be a real mess. Obviously the material was not dried properly before being treated and it was dripping wet almost when I installed it. Still, I have never seen wood shrink this much in that direction. Shrinking in width is common and should be expected. Also the 5/4 x 6 decking from Menards is close to an actual 5/4" as opposed to Lowe's material which is closer to 1".

As I said above I plan on stacking it for a month or two covered with a tarp to allow it to dry a good amount before I install it. It will be 2x6 material not 1x6 that was a typo. A 16 foot 2x6 treated yellow pine from lowes, is the same price as menards 5/4 treated.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Most non polyurethane stain uses linseed oil as a base.If you use a non polyurethane based stain you can certainly go over it with a layer of linseed oil.

So yes.If you use oil based stain(the most common)you can go over it with Linseed oil to add an additional layer of protection.

Apply the stain FIRST.

Another point.Is the stain finish dull?Is the wood still porous?If the answer is yes then linseed oil is an ideal finish.

Some manufacturer tips.
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/MSDS/Recochem/LINSEED_OIL_brochure_English.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom