• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wyatt Erp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    O.K. Corral
    Alliant website says 6.3 gr of Unique for a 115 gr JHP. This fills the case almost all the way to the top. The OAL is 1.125. My concern was it being a compressed load. I called Speer and they let my know that they tested their bullets up to 6.6 grains of unique with no issues.

Any thoughts from others on this issue? Save all the comments about your powder choice and dislikes for another post. I have 4 lbs of unique to use up.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Unique gets compressed in 9mm cases. It will be ok. I loaded light because I was worried about it when I first started with it, but I soon filled the case because it wasn't cycling the slide on my g19 :)

Wyatt Erp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    O.K. Corral
    Thanks Double T. The Tech at Speer said Unique is a slow burning powder and should be fine up to 6.6 Gr. I am going to load 5.5, 5.8 & 6.1 to take to the range to test.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have used 4.7gr Unique to load 124gr FMJ 9mm with an OAL of 1.163". I have not loaded any 115gr 9mm so cannot offer any input on that. Out of a 4" barrel, that load gave me an average velocity of 1062fps. As you noted, Unique is quite filling but is a good powder and functions in 9mm very well. Its only downside IMO is that it is dirty but does clean up well. I have since converted to Power Pistol for 9mm since it is 'less filling' and burns cleaner. For me, I am not a fan of compressed loads in any caliber and seldom load to the maximum charge but YMMV.

Wyatt Erp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    O.K. Corral
    THANKS Nucone for the load data
    I have some Power Pistol and Bullseye but wanted to use up the Unique to load up som Sierra HP and Hornady XTP 9mm in 115 & 124.

I have used 4.7gr Unique to load 124gr FMJ 9mm with an OAL of 1.163". I have not loaded any 115gr 9mm so cannot offer any input on that. Out of a 4" barrel, that load gave me an average velocity of 1062fps. As you noted, Unique is quite filling but is a good powder and functions in 9mm very well. Its only downside IMO is that it is dirty but does clean up well. I have since converted to Power Pistol for 9mm since it is 'less filling' and burns cleaner. For me, I am not a fan of compressed loads in any caliber and seldom load to the maximum charge but YMMV.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Alliant website says 6.3 gr of Unique for a 115 gr JHP. This fills the case almost all the way to the top. The OAL is 1.125. My concern was it being a compressed load. I called Speer and they let my know that they tested their bullets up to 6.6 grains of unique with no issues.

Any thoughts from others on this issue? Save all the comments about your powder choice and dislikes for another post. I have 4 lbs of unique to use up.

I'm disappointed. With that thread title, I though maybe you had discovered a way to cram a couple dozen rounds into a Luger! :):

Wyatt Erp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    O.K. Corral
    I have used 5.5 of Unique for a couple 1000 rounds but Switched to Power Pistol about a year ago. I have got a pretty good handle on the jacketed RN bullets but wanted to get opinions on Speer GD HP loads. Thanks to Double T for watching out for the newer reloaders. I feel very confident in my safe practices but never to proud to asks the group. You guys ROCK!!!

I like 5.5 or 5.6...can't remember. Didn't want to post load data for a new guy though :D

Top Bottom