• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    With all the FB, Google, OnStar, blah, blah, blah stories of late about tracking, spying, blah, blah, blah, I had a question about cookies. If you're browsing in one browser, say Chrome, and then open up Firefox and start browsing in that, do the cookies that you "activate" in Chrome still track what you're doing in Firefox, or are they browser specific?

Furthermore, how does the "private" browsing on any given browser work with regards to cookies (aside from making me re-log in every time because it was accidentally enabled)? Is it possible to avoid the cookie tracking issues in private browsing?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and I'm on a Mac, so IE stuff is irrelevant for me.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    Firefox will not read Chrome cookies and vice versa. There are flash cookies that will be cross-browser, but I am not sure about how they affect chrome since it has its own flash solution.

While browsing in private mode, nothing will be kept. That is not to say that you will be anonymous or completely untrackable, but everything that is foisted upon you will be flushed away every time you shut down your browser if you are running in privacy mode.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    RE flash cookies, if you're running Firefox, you should strongly consider installing the Flashblock addon; in addition to allowing you to select which Flash videos should run, it'll prevent websites from tracking your behavior via flash cookies.

Top Bottom