• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yours almost sounds like something is over heating and then shutting down. Have you checked all of your fans?

Well.....it has two fans with at least one being variable speed. They both work as they should as far as I can tell. My problems only started when I upgraded and then only after a auto update. The Microsoft guy seemed quite sure it was a March update release issue. I have no idea how they can tell. I am by no stretch of the imagination a computer guy. Just going by their guidance.

I do wish it was working though. With no mouse function it is quite worthless to me.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Another thing I just remembered..when this thing starts messing up it eventually says USB not recognized or something to that effect. Leave it powered down for sometime and it works for a while.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had an issue with my computer the other day. I couldn't type text into Firefox. I could type text in every other window and certain keystrokes still worked in Firefox, just not any visible character, or anything from the edit/navigation keys. I tried a Microsoft diagnostic (rebooted), didn't help.

Finally, I realized I had plugged a second keyboard into the machine, a second keyboard that now had a stack of junk piled on top of it. Something had started pressing on one of the mode keys enough that it was registering. Exactly how that caused what I witnessed with Firefox and Firefox alone, I don't know, but I removed all of the junk and my computer's behaving properly again.

I just write this post to illustrate how bizarre some PC diagnostic issues can be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It sounds like the OP's processor is fried. Time for a new PC. (wouldnt hurt to test the power supply first or reset CMOS as suggested. I'd offer my tester if you were closer to indy.:()

J706's issue doesnt sound software related. Unless pulling power for under 30 seconds fixes it. If you have to wait any length of time its a heat issue of some type... sounds coincidental to the update to me.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well.....it has two fans with at least one being variable speed. They both work as they should as far as I can tell. My problems only started when I upgraded and then only after a auto update. The Microsoft guy seemed quite sure it was a March update release issue. I have no idea how they can tell. I am by no stretch of the imagination a computer guy. Just going by their guidance.

I do wish it was working though. With no mouse function it is quite worthless to me.

This is a much different issue than the OP's.

A microsoft update could cause higher CPU usage which could easily reveal an underlying overheating issue.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Possibly. If you have the coin to spare, and the know-how, you can buy a new video card, plug it in, connect the monitor to that, and see if it makes a difference.

Can also try a new monitor.

In the end, however, I suspect you'll need a new computer. Plenty of inexpensive desktop choices out there, if you look (hint: MicroCenter.com)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It has integrated video and audio so that most likely means it is the motherboard correct?

Yes, but I would rule out other things first. Try another monitor and VGA cable if you have access to one. If you can borrow a PCI Express X16 graphics card, you could also plug one of those in to see if the onboard graphics are the problem.

Then, go on to this:

Here are some troubleshooting steps.

Top Bottom