• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    My youngest daughter went back to school and got an LPN and is going back to get her RN. She said a computer with the number pad on the bottom rather that the top would be real helpful.
    My question is who makes a good laptop like this? She graduates next Saturday,and I thought I would get her one for graduation. Any help would be greatful. Thanks

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My youngest daughter went back to school and got an LPN and is going back to get her RN. She said a computer with the number pad on the bottom rather that the top would be real helpful.
    My question is who makes a good laptop like this? She graduates next Saturday,and I thought I would get her one for graduation. Any help would be greatful. Thanks
    I've never seen one designed that way. What she might want to do, if she really wants a numeric keyboard is to buy a separate numbers keyboard. They usually plug into a USB port and she can position it where ever she wants.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i have seen alot of laptops here lately with the keypad off to the side. dell and hp come to mind at first but i am sure acer and a few others do too. check walmart that is where i remember seeing them. I am sure best buy has a few and frys probably has millions

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Ive only seen two or three diferent keyboard designs. and none have a numpad on the bottom, however most of the larger screen laptops do have a full function numpad to the right of the key board.
    My is a Toshiba but most with a 15 or 17" display will have a full keyboard and a number pad

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Like has been said, usually a full 10-key is on the larger laptops, but on the right side. I just recommended a Toshiba Satellite for a friend who purchased one like this at $399. I'd suggest newegg.com, and just watch for specials. They are usually the best bang for the buck, and usually free shipping.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I've never seen one designed that way. What she might want to do, if she really wants a numeric keyboard is to buy a separate numbers keyboard. They usually plug into a USB port and she can position it where ever she wants.

This works much better than trying to find/type numbers that are in numerical sequence (top or bottom if something like that were available).

Or,

Get a full size keyboard and plug in to the laptop. This works better for me.

Just plug it in and go to town.:yesway:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This works much better than trying to find/type numbers that are in numerical sequence (top or bottom if something like that were available).

Or,

Get a full size keyboard and plug in to the laptop. This works better for me.

Just plug it in and go to town.:yesway:
    Certainly cheaper than a new laptop. :D

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I had a former coworker who wanted a dedicated 10 key like that on a laptop for school. My brother repairs/sells computers for a living and he got her a very nice deal on one that had everything she needed. Don't remember the brand for sure but I want to say it was an HP.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Office Max has had some decent prices over the winter. Costco also has some very good prices also, especially when you factor in the 2nd year warranty and the help center that is included.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I tried prying my keys off and moving them around where I wanted but it all came out gibberish. Just wanted to put that out there so you don't try that idea.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

Definitely do this. A USB numeric keypad means she won't need a laptop that is extra wide (and slightly heavier and takes up more desk space and and and). Just use the keypad when you need it, put it away when you don't. That and she's not limited to buying a laptop just for the keypad and can instead keep what she has or buy for features (or price point) that really matter.

AmazonDOTcom says you can get a Kensington one (which is the brand we usually use at work) for about $8.00 + $6.00 shipping. It also has 2 USB ports on it and acts as a USB hub to better than make up for the port that it takes up on your laptop. There are other brands out there too...

Top Bottom