• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Most IT guys are only Guru's in certain areas. I do fix most issues remotely and over the phone but would still like to hear what's up. Can't call right now 'cause I'm still on the company's clock.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The only reason I want to talk on the phone is to explain in more detail what I think happened and what it is doing and not doing. I can get it to come on but that is all. It is a Toshiba Laptop.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The only reason I want to talk on the phone is to explain in more detail what I think happened and what it is doing and not doing. I can get it to come on but that is all. It is a Samsung Laptop.

I'm no guru but I do know a bit about troubleshooting...

Has anything changed? Have you installed any new software or updated any recently? Added or changed out any hardware like the mouse, maybe? On that software update question, that would include virus protection stuff--has that updated recently?

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I just talked to her and it sounds like the HDD heads are seeking back and forth. Her daughter was beating on the keyboard and slamming the lid down very hard. Anybody out Greenfield area to meet with her and see if it can be repaired easy?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just talked to her and it sounds like the HDD heads are seeking back and forth. Her daughter was beating on the keyboard and slamming the lid down very hard. Anybody out Greenfield area to meet with her and see if it can be repaired easy?

Yep, sounds like its time for a new drive. :( I have a coworker in our helpdesk that is more than capable That lives just on the south edge of G'field. I'll text him and see if he is available.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    what would you say you do here?

Here as in INGO? Mostly read the funny pics thread and avoid oc/cc debates but that's not the point.

When you say the computer comes on, but that's it, does it go to your Windows desktop or does it throw any error codes?

-edit-
    guess I should have read the rest of the thread.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    it comes on but no it will not go to windows desktop. It will not go anywhere or do anything. It has a black screen and that is all. I guess it got banged up pretty good while I was on the phone with my doctor. Just more bad news today. It was just easier for me to explain on the phone . A big thanks to the 2 members who called. I really appreciate it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I gather you can't even get into the bios or anything?

This isn't a funky issue where it went to sleep and you can't get out of hibernation/sleep mode, is it?
    Remove the battery for 10 minutes or so, and put it back in then try booting it up to check

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Sorry, I guess my office space reference was too obscure

I had an itch in my brain that it might be a reference, but couldn't place my finger on it.

But yeah.. best case is being in front of the keyboard.

Is the screen black like it is receiving power? If the screen does not come on at all then a cable may have come unplugged inside.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    it comes on but no it will not go to windows desktop. It will not go anywhere or do anything. It has a black screen and that is all...

Could it be working, but you just don't see that it is? It might be the back light is bad. Can you shine a light on the screen to see if you can see windows or icons faintly?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Does the screen look to be in one piece if you shine a light on it? Possibly broke the lcd/led. Could it be broker ram or mobo failure?

Perhaps it's a disconnected monitor ribbon?
    Plug it into an external TV/monitor and let us know if anything shows up. With a laptop its best to rule out display failure.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The laptop will POST. The BIOS is not detecting a boot device. A typical impact type scenario. Most likely a damaged hard drive (or SSD, we don't know what is in it yet). Hopefully remove and reseat will get it to spin up.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Well I took it to Best Buy today and other than a good long chat with a long time gf It was a wasted trip. The Geek guy turned it on and watched it for a few and said I am about 90% sure that your hard drive is messed up and possible your mother board could be as well. I said well hook it up and test it and he said that could take up to 18 hours to know for sure and would cost $60. I said why 18 hours. He said depended on where on the drive it is messed up. He said he could find out within 10 minutes or it could take 10 hours or more. Just depends.

So here I am still wondering what is wrong and how bad. Also wishing I knew how to figure out windows 8 cause I would be on a new computer right now instead of using Brad's while he is gone.
    I am used to Windows 7 and I get that on one but wondering if anyone knows if the performance is still as good on one that originally had Windows 8 but was replaced with Windows 7?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom