• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I took it to Best Buy today and other than a good long chat with a long time gf It was a wasted trip. The Geek guy turned it on and watched it for a few and said I am about 90% sure that your hard drive is messed up and possible your mother board could be as well. I said well hook it up and test it and he said that could take up to 18 hours to know for sure and would cost $60. I said why 18 hours. He said depended on where on the drive it is messed up. He said he could find out within 10 minutes or it could take 10 hours or more. Just depends.

So here I am still wondering what is wrong and how bad. Also wishing I knew how to figure out windows 8 cause I would be on a new computer right now instead of using Brad's while he is gone.
    I am used to Windows 7 and I get that on one but wondering if anyone knows if the performance is still as good on one that originally had Windows 8 but was replaced with Windows 7?

Best buy is a joke.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Could it be working, but you just don't see that it is? It might be the back light is bad. Can you shine a light on the screen to see if you can see windows or icons faintly?

The laptop will POST. The BIOS is not detecting a boot device. A typical impact type scenario. Most likely a damaged hard drive (or SSD, we don't know what is in it yet). Hopefully remove and reseat will get it to spin up.

Does it have a DVD/CD drive? Maybe get into the BIOS and change the boot order and try and boot from media if you have it, and then see if you can do a repair on the OS. Might be that the boot sector, etc is jacked up.

Just a thought. Is there data on the laptop that you are after, or just trying to get online?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, I have posted the following basic info in a PM conversation with KnifeLady and hope to help recover her data. I just wanted to throw this out for the good of all...

Windows 8.1 is more than capable compared to 7. In fact it has a few more features. Not enough to ditch a perfectly working 7, but its good and stable under the hood. It requires more horsepower to run, so on a new PC its a wash, but older PCs wont run 8 as well.

The biggest beef is the Metro Interface. It sucks. BIG TIME. The tiles are nice for a phone, but ridiculous for anything with any reasonable screen real estate. Microsoft's wish to make their OS the exact same across EVERY last device is a joke. As you know a leatherman is great in a pinch, but is nowhere near as good or efficient as each and every unitasker that it tries to replace. Same concept. We NEED a different interface for a handheld screen than we do a full size tablet or PC. This edict was the equivalent of saying "on the road you need all the tools to fit in a small space of a pocket. Since the road guys (phones) can make due with auto repair using a leatherman, EVERYONE, including the shop guys working under the lifts (desktops and laptops), need to switch to leathermans and ditch their rolling Snap-On toolboxes. " Yeah, pretty ridiculous.

If you Like and want a windows 7 interface on 8, all is not lost. There is a donationware (free, but they ask you donate if you like it. no nag screens, etc.) program called classic shell. It lets you run windows 8 much like windows 7 or XP. It boots to the desktop instead of Metro, the start menu is formatted LIKE (not exactly) windows 7, etc. Its not exact, but its close enough to be pretty painless. You can always drop to the tiles interface if you want with a keystroke.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

The good news is the previews of windows 10 which comes out next year looks like 7 and 8 had a baby... Its got the start menu like 7, but you can add the live tiles into the start menu.

Second, Churchmouse is correct. They tend to be as shady as used car salesmen. CSB:

A gaming buddy in Janesville WI called me one night. He rebooted and his PC showed a SMART error that his drive was going into predictive failure and to back up his data ASAP. I said no biggie. Go to best buy and buy a new drive and a program called Acronis True Image. The latter was only $30 and it would let him clone the old drive to the new. No special skills required.

He went there and couldnt find the software on the shelf. He asked Geek Squad about it and they said "there is no such software. Only specialized 4 figure software can do that. We would have to transfer your data to the new drive for about $300" He left empty handed because he was out of work and although he could afford a new drive and the Acronis tool, he couldnt afford another $300. Two days later his hard drive crashed taking everything with it. When I found out I checked stock and they had about 25 copies of the software on the shelf. The GS guy lied to him to generate revenue for his department.

Second story: Local buddy of mine was just getting into computers professionally. Smart guy, knows his stuff but was still green. A PERFECT entry level bench tech. As a bench tech you work with others so if there is something you dont know you can be mentored by your fellow techs. He was told that he had too much experience and was overqualified. :n00b:

Chew on those before you go there.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    If it needs a new hdd, I'm game for swapping it out. I'm dead smack in the center of town. I have a 80gb hdd around here doing nothing. If the old drive will power up and read I have a drive reader that is USB. If my 80 gb is too small you can buy a new drive at frys too, and upgrade in the process.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I don't believe most Geek Squad dudes are shady, just too stupid to be working on computers. Apparently BB's main requirement for a Geek Squad job is that you can breathe.

Usually, you don't need to buy any software for data transfer to the new HD. If you purchase the retail version of a new HD, that type of software is included.

Sounds like the ops HD is toast. Or if this is the daughters computer that performed the beating that caused the HD failure, time to let her do without.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you Like and want a windows 7 interface on 8, all is not lost. There is a donationware (free, but they ask you donate if you like it. no nag screens, etc.) program called classic shell. It lets you run windows 8 much like windows 7 or XP. It boots to the desktop instead of Metro, the start menu is formatted LIKE (not exactly) windows 7, etc. Its not exact, but its close enough to be pretty painless. You can always drop to the tiles interface if you want with a keystroke.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

The good news is the previews of windows 10 which comes out next year looks like 7 and 8 had a baby... Its got the start menu like 7, but you can add the live tiles into the start menu.

You can set Windows 8.1 to boot to desktop without any additional software. Other than a few different things such as get used to using charms and right clicking the "Windows button/start button" rather than left clicking start, and you never really need to see the modern/metro UI.

Take a Windows 8.1 machine set it to boot to desktop and most Win 7 people figure it our pretty quick.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom