• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I am looking to purchase a new gun for conceal carry. I currently own a 40 cal. , but it is not easily concealed. Any suggestions for a gun around $500? I( would prefer something that holds at least 8 rounds.

Thanks

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I am looking to purchase a new gun for conceal carry. I currently own a 40 cal. , but it is not easily concealed. Any suggestions for a gun around $500? I( would prefer something that holds at least 8 rounds.

Thanks

Many people carry a .40 or larger and conceal it just fine.
    Others just open carry.
    Maybe you just need a better way of carrying.
    What is your current setup?
    Gun? Holster? Belt?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Agree with needing to know what you are having trouble concealing. What pistol do you currently have? I can fit my Taurus pt140 in my pocket and it looks like I am carring a cell phone with my pocket holster. If its a day I dont care if anyone knows I am carrying, I have my Ruger 40 cal on my hip.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP,

Your original description isn't very helpful.

Stating that you have a .40 cal is like telling a mechanic that you have a white car.

Great and all, but not very helpful.

If you could tell us the make/model of your pistol, you're likely to get a lot better help.

Also, you likely don't need another firearm to conceal better. Possible, however.

My guess is that you need to spend the money on a quality holster and gun belt, rather than a new gun.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Before I dropped money on a new gun I'd take a serious look at your holster and your belt.

A good holster and a good belt will help you conceal a large gun very easily. For IWB consider the CrossBreed SuperTuck (better IMHO than the K Holster), or a Milt Sparks Summer Special. For OWB take a look at Galco's JIT for a compact design or Yaqui slides. Skip almost every brand of 'paddle' holster as they rarely conceal well on most humans, not saying they are not good for the range or for OC but generally a paddle is a poor concealment holster.

Don't forget a good gun belt. A gun belt is not a regular belt, its a stiffened belt. Sometimes it has a kydex or similar polymer stiffener, other times it two thick layers of very stiff leather. But a gun belt that actually supports the weight of the gun and distributes it (won't sag) around your waist will do more to conceal a handgun than you can imagine. It also makes the carry of a gun far more comfortable than a fashion belt that sags. I cannot stress enough the importance of a quality gun belt. Cabela's has the "double duty" model for $39, that is about the cheapest real gun belt I've seen. Really good belts come from Beltman.com as well as Galco, Sparks, and other quality brand holster makers. Skip right past anything that says "Uncle Mikes" or any of the budget stuff and go for quality. You will buy it, it will last for years, and you never regret it. In fact you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . I currently own a 40 cal. , but it is not easily concealed. . .

Good general tips so far, but without more detail it's hard to make specific suggestions.

Think about your 40. What is it about your 40 that makes it "not easily concealed?"

Is it the length? Height? Width? Weight? A combination thereof?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    you just need to put some thought and maybe a little money iinto it. i carry a .40 (glock 23) which may or may not be smaller than what you have. But i carry in a Mintotaur MTAC IWB holster very comfortably and completely undetectable unless i bend over or someone bumps into it, nbut theres still ways around those issues.

you can carry pretty much carry anything concealed. i think this video is the best example of that............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsWO6OZufw if he can conceal 12 guns let alone a shotgun you can certainly coneal a single handgun. even if its a full size. look into Mintotaur holsters. or really anythin similar. notice his shirt too. its longer and pretty loose. clothing can also affect your concealment.

so instead of blowin money on a new gun use what you have and put a little time and thought into your current situation. it will always take trial and effort. its pretty hard to just grab a gun and throw it on your person concealed and have it be perfect the very first time.
    and if in the end you figure out that you just cannot do it in a way that is comfortable to you then you can think of a different firearm. but i surely wouldn't jump right to that. especially if you really like and want to use your current firearm.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Holy crap! I never wanna run into that kid in a gun fight.

yea but if yah think about it, it could work against him. hes got alot of choices and he might have a tough time pulling one out since theyre crammed pretty close together. i think that by the time he got his it would be too late. or even better just run. the kid has 12 guns on him and one is a shotgun. i'd love to see him run with that one. i would imagine he'd weight atleast 20 pounds more than normal plus a stiff leg with that shotgun.
    but very scary none the less

Last edited:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I've concealed a .40 with little or no problem for about the last 15 years, 1st an Astra A75:
    Astra%20Model%20A-75.jpg

Then a CZ100:
    CZ100.jpg

And for the last couple of years a Kahr K40:
    k40_with_grips.jpg

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/CZ/CZ100.jpg

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    As much as I hate baggy pant wearing fools, I must say this. Even if they pants are baggy they aren't going to be able to walk around with an 870. Most of the time you can see there underoo's because there pants are down to there knees. I would think underwear elastic would make a crappy holster. Especially for a shotgun and large frame revolver.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    It would be helpful to know what you are carrying now. As for my suggestion if your set on another weapon, Smith M&P 9c or 40c. I know there are many other great options but I love mine and it carries nicely. You do need a good holster.

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 40. I currently have a black hawk size 21. I wear fairly large shirts and you can see it underneath or can tell something is there. The holster in worn on a belt on my hip. I tried a different one at the local gun shop , but it still looks bulky under my shirt. The store owner wears his outside with shirt tucked in. I am not comfortable wearing exposed and fear i might get hassled for not having gun concealed.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You don't need a new gun. You need a new holster. Look at crossbreed or kholster. Get a good belt and you'll be gtg

PS I can conceal a full size usp .40 with no problems. Yours isn't near as bulky

Top Bottom