• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    Concealed carried for the first time the other day. I'd been waiting on my super tuck for a few months so I could carry my XDM 9. Very comfortable holster but needs some break-in time. I was surprised to find that my biggest worry carrying has been leaving an indention in my leather seats from the butt of my pistol. My only other concern is that my XDM is a little large to carry unless I'm wearing at least a sweatshirt. So I'm looking at an XDS for a warm weather carry.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I finally got my new permit about a month ago, and started carrying my G-19 in a fobus paddle holster. I need longer t-shirts to cover it completely, but unless someone is checking for a gun it goes unnoticed, but if it is seen, so what! It's legal in Indiana. I am so glad we have that option here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Concealed carried for the first time the other day. I'd been waiting on my super tuck for a few months so I could carry my XDM 9. Very comfortable holster but needs some break-in time. I was surprised to find that my biggest worry carrying has been leaving an indention in my leather seats from the butt of my pistol. My only other concern is that my XDM is a little large to carry unless I'm wearing at least a sweatshirt. So I'm looking at an XDS for a warm weather carry.

Buy your t-shirts a little bigger. That will help hide.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    If you're worried about printing or accidental glimpses of your weapon may I make a suggestion ? My personal favorite, especially in the woarmer months is fanny holsters. I know a lot of guys who don't like them but once you train with them a few times I think they are awesome. I'm able to wear any type of clothing and not worry about which holster will work best. I'm also able to carry several extras if need be.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Not to strike up an OC/CC debate (but one will follow shortly anyways.. its the INGO way) if you read through the majority of the OC theads, you'll notice that nobody pays enough attention to realize that someone has a gun on their hip OCing. A bit of printing won't raise an eye.

As for leaving a dent in the leather seat.. I wouldn't worry much about it. Who cares? Give it a couple of days to air out and you'll never notice it.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    having the exact same issue,xdm 3.8 is just too fat and grip too long. love it but, prints like crazy especially warm weather clothes. paddle holster but i dont think i'd want to try iwb with it. Grip is still just too long. I want the xds for sure just not sure if i want to go 45 or wait on 40, but that could be a year for all i know!

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I just stared the first of the year. I carry a Ruger SR9c with the flat plate. I CC with a N82 Pro and LOVE IT! hardly no imprinting at all even when bent over.I carry at the 4 oclock position. Just ran into my first "No Weapons" sign at our mall. I was dropping off the fam at the door so I just left it in there. Small mall with a lot of cops. Still not sure how I feel about leaving it in the car.

SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    I just stared the first of the year. I carry a Ruger SR9c with the flat plate. I CC with a N82 Pro and LOVE IT! hardly no imprinting at all even when bent over.I carry at the 4 oclock position. Just ran into my first "No Weapons" sign at our mall. I was dropping off the fam at the door so I just left it in there. Small mall with a lot of cops. Still not sure how I feel about leaving it in the car.

You know they have no legal baring in indiana? The worst they can do is ask you to leave and if you refuse try and get you for trespassing. If you are CC they shouldn't ever know. I carry my glock 23 everywhere. Sign or not.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    You know they have no legal baring in indiana? The worst they can do is ask you to leave and if you refuse try and get you for trespassing. If you are CC they shouldn't ever know. I carry my glock 23 everywhere. Sign or not.
    I've been reading a lot here tonight since this was the first time I have ran into this. Lots of good info. They also had it again on the doors going into the theater. I will NOT go in there with out carrying anymore. so it will just stay hidden if I go. ;)

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana

having the exact same issue,xdm 3.8 is just too fat and grip too long. love it but, prints like crazy especially warm weather clothes. paddle holster but i dont think i'd want to try iwb with it. Grip is still just too long. I want the xds for sure just not sure if i want to go 45 or wait on 40, but that could be a year for all i know!

I carry either the XDM 3.8 9mm compact or XD 9mm compact using the crossbread supertuck. You should be able to get by with a comfortable T-shirt any time of the year. If you are new to carrying this is common to put too much emphasis on printing. I can wear t-shirts with the sleeves cut out and no issues. I'm about 6'1", 185lbs and typically wear an XL shirt.

Been carrying this way for about 5 yrs now and really don't know I'm carrying IWB. Nor does anyone else.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    CC'ing can seem taboo at first. I was always worrying about printing. After several holsters, a wardrobe addition, and repeated carrying, I am finally comfortable. I've noticed the if it does print, looks kind of like a knife or phone holder.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    When you start carrying you are naturally a bit self concious. Remember that most people you encounter are not looking for a gun and will not become aware of yours unless you make it entirely obvious.
    Don't continually check your gun, act as natural as possible any you will find that you are also being more courteous to others you encounter than normal
    Just give it some time.
    I've seen several old fellows on the SS carrying openly and they are so relaxed and natrual about it no one but us gun guys ever seems to notice.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    I've been carrying concealed for a number of years but only recently switched to Appendix carry IWB. I've got to say I like it a ton. I thankfully got to work on the pre-production for the Vanguard 2 from Raven Concealment. Love it but I didn't like how long it took to re-holster.

The other day I ordered a G-Code Incog and I love it. It's a lot easier for me to carry appendix. It's not for everyone but It's got a lot of benefits.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    OC draws negative attention. CC is better.

:D

Either you get hit in the head and your gun taken because you have a gun, or someone thinks you don't have a gun so they hit you in the head and take your wallet, and then find your gun! The first guy was so excited he even got the gun, he didn't think to check for your wallet.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Either you get hit in the head and your gun taken because you have a gun, or someone thinks you don't have a gun so they hit you in the head and take your wallet, and then find your gun! The first guy was so excited he even got the gun, he didn't think to check for your wallet.

Let me give you a scenario. You're in a bank and two men with guns walk in. You are open carrying. They see the gun and you get two in the back before you can even react. Even if they don't shoot you, you may be forced to act to save your life.

Now let's say you're carrying concealed, they walk in, don't see anyone with guns so they don't shoot. You are now the one with the choice whether to use your weapon or not. Maybe you don't even need to use it.

Printing issues aside, open carrying presents more problems than it solves and forces you to up your level of situational awareness (not that you shouldn't be far more aware than the people who are not carrying around you).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Let me give you a scenario. You're in a bank and two men with guns walk in. You are open carrying. They see the gun and you get two in the back before you can even react. Even if they don't shoot you, you may be forced to act to save your life.

Now let's say you're carrying concealed, they walk in, don't see anyone with guns so they don't shoot. You are now the one with the choice whether to use your weapon or not. Maybe you don't even need to use it.

Printing issues aside, open carrying presents more problems than it solves and forces you to up your level of situational awareness (not that you shouldn't be far more aware than the people who are not carrying around you).

People still go into banks?

But seriously, you're much more likely to get hit by a car leaving the bank or convenience store than you are too get shot during a robbery just because you are OC'ing. There is just no statistical evidence that this type of thing happens with any frequency.

Top Bottom