• ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Concealed carry bill raises local concern | Articles | News | OakPark.com

"I just think it's an issue of public concern," Tanksley said in an interview Tuesday. "Especially for law enforcement officers trying to carry out their duties. …It's something we'll have to deal with."

"The legislation is wrong for Illinois. It was wrong [Thursday] in committee, it's wrong today, and it's wrong for the future of public safety in our state."

Because 49 other states are wrong and Illinois was the only one in the right.... :cool:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Because 49 other states are wrong and Illinois was the only one in the right....

IL is a state dominated by the liberal-bastion that is Chicago. Remember that by-definition a liberal idea is correct in spite of no evidence to support it and in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It shows the mindset in Chicago. The police view any person as a threat and they currently lump them into two groups. The law abiding disarmed folks and the law breaking folks that could be armed. The fact that they fear the law biding folks being armed says a whole lot about what they think of the general population.

What it says is that the two groups that they lump all people in to are 'The Controlled' and the 'Yet to be Controlled'. Not 'Good' or 'Bad'. Not 'Citizen' or 'Criminal'.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    How ever do the rest of the police carry out their duties in the rest of the country? :rolleyes:

Shouldn't they already be treating ever person they encounter as if they could be armed? Anyone wanting to shoot an officer is already carrying in Illinois anyway.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I had a conversation with a CPD officer about 13 years ago. I was working 3rd shift at a gas station beside the interstate. He was riding a motorcycle and he stopped to get gas and stretch his legs for a bit.

The conversation turned to him asking me if I felt "unsafe" working by the interstate late at night. I told him I tried to remain aware of my surroundings and keep an eye on people that were in the store.

I then told him if things went to crap, I was armed and hopefully things would go my way.

He then said he believed all law-abiding citizens should be armed. I asked about his feelings regarding Chicago's gun laws. He said he didn't agree with them and claims to have looked the other way when he encountered citizens that were armed. He said many of the shop owners in his area had pistols in their shops.

So, maybe he was a rare one, but not all Chicago cops are JBTs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a conversation with a CPD officer about 13 years ago. I was working 3rd shift at a gas station beside the interstate. He was riding a motorcycle and he stopped to get gas and stretch his legs for a bit.

The conversation turned to him asking me if I felt "unsafe" working by the interstate late at night. I told him I tried to remain aware of my surroundings and keep an eye on people that were in the store.

I then told him if things went to crap, I was armed and hopefully things would go my way.

He then said he believed all law-abiding citizens should be armed. I asked about his feelings regarding Chicago's gun laws. He said he didn't agree with them and claims to have looked the other way when he encountered citizens that were armed. He said many of the shop owners in his area had pistols in their shops.

I think when someone talks about a police department as a whole, they really are talking about the policies pushed by the department leadership, not every individual officer. Each officer is driven by what they think is right given a specific situation. It's the policies set by the leadership that are usually at odds with the best interests of the law abiding citizens. When individual officers enthusiastically support those policies, they become part of the problem too (as well as improving their promotion chances).

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Governor is an idiot: "As written, this legislation is a massive overreach that would repeal critical gun safety ordinances in Chicago, Cook County, and across Illinois. We need strong gun safety laws that protect the people of our state. Instead, this measure puts public safety at risk. I will not support this bill and I will work with members of the Illinois Senate to stop it in its tracks"

How's that working out for you Gov? Over 500 murders in your beloved city last year - with hand guns. Seems your criminals don't obey those laws. Darn those pesky criminals!!!

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

I grew up in Chicago and lived in the area until I was 27. Yes, many of the police officers look the other way in regards to many of the city's laws. I knew quite a few Chicago police then and still now, and of the ones I know, they are all for law abiding citizens being able to carry. They are not afraid of a law abiding citizen shooting them in the back. They count on law abiding citizens to help them if they were ever in need, that's why they are quick to overlook someone breaking an unjust law.

One of my friends that worked plain clothes told me about one night where he was sent in to a Chicago park to write citations for those that were in the park after it closed. These were open parks, but by ordinance you were not allowed to be in there after 10 or 11 pm, I forget the exact time. So anyway, he goes into the park with his partner and starts a conversation with this group of younger guys. Its near closing time, but not past it yet. He bums a smoke from one of them, they offer him a beer (alcohol not allowed in park either). He refuses the beer notices one of the guys rolling a joint. Guy rolls it, lights it, passes it around. When it came to my friend, the cop, he flips out his badge and tells the guy no thanks, parks closed it is time to leave. The guys were dumbfounded and were about to dump their beers and ditch the joint, he told them no, keep your beer and your weed, park is closed, time to leave. Thats all that was complained about by neighbors living close to the park, thats all he was there to enforce.

He also told me that one of these days it is very possible that some bad guy could get the best of him and could literally beat him to death. He did not want to **** off good citizens by jamming them up with BS laws because it is also very possible that one of those average citizens might be in a position to stop some bad guy from beating him to death. He wanted to keep as many friends in his beat as he could find.

That is just one example, but I have heard and been a part of a few others.

Top Bottom