concealed carry for blackpowder revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Me and a guy at work were having a debate when it comes to cc. He says you dont need to have one for a singleshot but do for bp revolvers since they dont load from the front. My thoughts were you didnt need one for either since they are both blackpowder and not cartridge guns. Which one of us is correct or are we both wrong?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Seems like I remember reading in the Indiana code that blackpowder guns didn't need a "license" to be carried.

Not sure if it'd be a good idea though, I wouldn't want to test it personally.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Federal code doesn't include either the black powder single shot or revolver as a firearm. For this reason you can mail order either and have it sent to you without going through a FFL.

I believe Indiana code does count the black powder revolver as a firearm but IANAL.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed
    to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made
    before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

So if you load a charge of powder, a seperate ball, and a seperate primer, then it doesn't need a license to carry.

Or if its just plain old.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed
    to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made
    before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

So if you load a charge of powder, a seperate ball, and a seperate primer, then it doesn't need a license to carry.

Or if its just plain old.

This is correct. Number of shots is irrelevant, only if it uses "fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition" or was made before Jan 1, 1899.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    This is correct. Number of shots is irrelevant, only if it uses "fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition" or was made before Jan 1, 1899.

I like being told 'I'm correct' :-)

Does anyone know what the law defines as 'fixed ammunition'?

I think 'fixed cartridges' is pretty self explanatory

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Sounds like I should build a black powder machine gun!

:ar15:

:rockwoot:
    well you can't use cartridges, you'd have to load the powder, ball, and cap for each shot.

Not to mention that blackpowder acts VERY differently from the modern smokeless powders used in machine guns.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Are you trying to shoot the bad guys or suffocate them to death?

I know it's not technically a machine gun, but didn't the original gatling gun shoot blackpowder cartridges?
    One would think it would produce a lot of smoke. But all the videos I see of them don't produce much, but they may be using smokeless or a bp substitute...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm thinking a rack and pinion setup with a magazine bar with holes drilled into it. Sort of like flattening out a revolver cylinder. Load 'em up with powder and ball, caps on nipples on the back, and run it past your barrel. Timed hammer and oila. A black powder machine gun. Not sure how cool ATF would be with it, but I bet you could make it work.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Both of my Black Powder revolvers have 7.5 and 8 inch barrels. Kinda hard to CC. OC only. I always thought the smoke was kinda cool. Pain to clean though. Maybe that's why it's been so many years since they have been shot.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Both of my Black Powder revolvers have 7.5 and 8 inch barrels. Kinda hard to CC. OC only. I always thought the smoke was kinda cool. Pain to clean though. Maybe that's why it's been so many years since they have been shot.

That would definetly be badass! Carrying around a big revolver, plus I love the smell of blackpowder! Just hope you don't get attacked on a rainy day:D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know it's not technically a machine gun, but didn't the original gatling gun shoot blackpowder cartridges?
    One would think it would produce a lot of smoke. But all the videos I see of them don't produce much, but they may be using smokeless or a bp substitute...

Gatling gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ammunition was initially a steel cylinder charged with black powder and primed with a percussion cap, because self-contained brass cartridges had not yet been fully developed and become available. The shells were gravity-fed into the breech through a hopper or stick magazine on top of the gun. Each barrel had its own firing mechanism. After 1861, new brass cartridges similar to modern cartridges replaced the paper cartridge, but Gatling did not switch to them immediately.
    The Model 1881 was designed to use the 'Bruce'-style feed system (U.S. Patents 247,158 and 343,532) that accepted two rows of .45-70 cartridges.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Gatling gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ammunition was initially a steel cylinder charged with black powder and primed with a percussion cap, because self-contained brass cartridges had not yet been fully developed and become available. The shells were gravity-fed into the breech through a hopper or stick magazine on top of the gun. Each barrel had its own firing mechanism. After 1861, new brass cartridges similar to modern cartridges replaced the paper cartridge, but Gatling did not switch to them immediately.
    The Model 1881 was designed to use the 'Bruce'-style feed system (U.S. Patents 247,158 and 343,532) that accepted two rows of .45-70 cartridges.

So it wasn't 'brass', but it was still separate cartridge cases, just made out of steel cylinders

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like being told 'I'm correct' :-)

Does anyone know what the law defines as 'fixed ammunition'?

I think 'fixed cartridges' is pretty self explanatory

To the best of my knowledge, IC code does not specifically define 'fixed ammunition', however it common use it is interchangeable with 'fixed cartridge' in personal arms.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Here it is. I found what you are looking for. Made before 1899. So legal to carry without license right?
    The Maxim gun was first used by Britain's colonial forces in the 1893–1894 First Matabele War in Rhodesia. During the Battle of the Shangani, 700 soldiers fought off 3,000 warriors with just four Maxim guns. It played an important role in the swift European colonization of Africa in the late 19th century. The extreme lethality was employed to devastating effect against obsolete charging tactics, when native opponents could be lured into pitched battles in open terrain. As it was put by Hilaire Belloc, in the words of the figure "Blood" in his poem "The Modern Traveller":

Top Bottom