• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    With fall coming up I was looking at getting a couple of these hoodies. Anyone here own one and is it worth the $50? I only carry concealed but sometimes I will carry outside the waistband with a hoodie covering it. But I really like the idea of this for appendix carry. Just trying to decide if it’s worth the money or if I should just keep carrying how I have been.

Attachments

• 81D56A82-D215-4CA9-A338-8DFC5ED1BF0C.png
      81D56A82-D215-4CA9-A338-8DFC5ED1BF0C.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 60

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Worth it? That's up to you. I just bought two sherpa hoodies for $26 from Woot. When I received them, I looked at the tags. They read $98.50. The green is more olive drab than what the pic shows. The charcoal one is...gray.

These are full zip though and I see you are looking at pullovers. I wear full zip for the most part.

They are not worth near that in my opinion, but they are worth $13 each. I bought them because they are a little longer than my other hoodies and I carry OWB, but concealed.

1663963932322.png

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    With fall coming up I was looking at getting a couple of these hoodies. Anyone here own one and is it worth the $50? I only carry concealed but sometimes I will carry outside the waistband with a hoodie covering it. But I really like the idea of this for appendix carry. Just trying to decide if it’s worth the money or if I should just keep carrying how I have been.
    I can't tell from the picture. Does it have a built in holster in the pocket, or is the back of the pocket open to draw from a waistband holster?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The back of the pocket has a hole so you can draw from the hoodie pocket. I walk with my hands in that pocket anyway so it seemed like it would be a good idea
    Could work depending on the pocket, it could also be one hell of a snagging problem. Kinda like trying to draw from underneath a sweatshirt without pulling it out of the way. I could see a use for it, especially in situations where you may not be sure of the need to draw but think it may be a distinct possibility and don't want to draw attention to it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Time for some "shoot through the hoodie" drills...
    Yep. Problem would be with a pistol instead of a revolver. Might work very well with a shrouded hammer revolver. Dang it, this thread is going to cost me some money, and probably a hoodie or two...

This idea wouldn't be hard to do at home, just cut out behind the pocket on just about any hoodie with a single pocket and stitch it so it doesn't unravel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The back of the pocket has a hole so you can draw from the hoodie pocket. I walk with my hands in that pocket anyway so it seemed like it would be a good idea
    The picture is confusing. It looks like it has cutouts in the front of the pocket such that your hands come out the front of the pocket yet your wrists are constrained by the edges of the pocket. Just looks really awkward to me.

1663969055901.png

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    Yep. Problem would be with a pistol instead of a revolver. Might work very well with a shrouded hammer revolver. Dang it, this thread is going to cost me some money, and probably a hoodie or two...

This idea wouldn't be hard to do at home, just cut out behind the pocket on just about any hoodie with a single pocket and stitch it so it doesn't unravel.
    It would be hard to do
    At home for me. I don’t know anything about stitch work lol

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Now you're being cheap frugal.
    I prefer practical. I already have a hoodie or two that I like and that fit.

It would be hard to do
    At home for me. I don’t know anything about stitch work lol
    They sell fabric repair tape, stick it on and hit it with an iron. Heck some duct tape folded over the edge would work and the slickness might even help with drawing.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ok any type of retention? Is it designed to use a holster?

I will wear my FFA Alumni Hoodie in December, but I prefer Owb strong side. Consistency is your friend.
    I THINK it's supposed to be used with a belt holster. I think there is an opening in the back of the pocket (inside towards your body) that you reach through to draw. So you can be walking around with your hands in the pocket and if needed draw through. Might work well with appendix or cross draw.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I THINK it's supposed to be used with a belt holster. I think there is an opening in the back of the pocket (inside towards your body) that you reach through to draw. So you can be walking around with your hands in the pocket and if needed draw through. Might work well with appendix or cross draw.
    Kind of seems a bit complicated?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Kind of seems a bit complicated?
    Maybe a bit, but not really any more than concealed carry. Put on your normal holster and the hoodie. You can either draw as normal by lifting the hoodie or draw through the "pocket". Main issue that I see as I mentioned above would be snagging if drawing through the "pocket".

Biggest use I could see for it would be when you wanted to have your hand on the grip or even mostly drawn but to be discreet about it. Think walking down the street and two guys are walking towards you from the other direction, you cross the street and they do to. They may have a non-nefarious reason for doing so, but they also may not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've never liked the idea of clothing being a holster or having a soft holster such as clothing. I like my holsters being securely connected to my belt or body with no flopping around of the firearm.
    I have a vest I use that can hold extra magazines it even has a built in holster that fits around my underarm area. It is just to weak imo to hold anything properly. I do like the vest for fall and winter wear.
    Looks similar to this.
    1664135240663.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've yet to see any of the clothing items that aren't gimmicks, and generally poorly done gimmicks. Maybe this is the visit from the Good Idea Fairy that works out, but I'd pressure test it with a training partner willing to pressure you realistically before committing to doing it for real if I had any interest in actually using one.

Top Bottom