• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not at all. It would have even come in handy at the fairgrounds incident. Let's face it, very few people want to try to throw you out after you strip naked and rub yourself down with butter.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Slow down there, buckaroo. There was a fair?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Had an officer get called to a house yeard (Wilbur Hackner, killed by his girlfriend, whole different story). The house owner says there is this wild bird that attacks her every time she goes into the garage. The officer goes inside and gets attacked. This time he pulls his nightstick and kills the rare bird that has escaped our zoo about a week before. The PD bought a very rare bird.

Did you at least get to eat it?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    LMAO, especially about "emergency butter" response.

Anyway, the question is moot because lions are not fed by a keeper face to face. What kinda dummies do you think they are?

Go visit a zoo sometime outside of a movie theatre.

Well that seems uncalled for and rude. I said in the original post that this actually DID happen, and there is footage of it. They did a whole half-hour special on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6jOSltBHdU

There is a lot of useless footage in that clip, but that is the incident I was actually talking about. It looks like the cages weren't locked properly while the zookeeper was out spreading the meat around for the lions; him being in there with them was not a usual occurrence.

Regardless, given the fact that they were eventually scared off by a metal trash can hitting the ground NEAR them, I think I would make a shot into the dirt nearby, if I could; now that I know that tidbit of information, at least. If they didn't stop then, I'd shoot at what parts of them were available, for as long as they were available, in an attempt to scare them off. Those animals, in that pen, are not nearly as endangered as the zoo keeper who is also in that pen.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well that seems uncalled for and rude. I said in the original post that this actually DID happen, and there is footage of it. They did a whole half-hour special on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6jOSltBHdU

There is a lot of useless footage in that clip, but that is the incident I was actually talking about. It looks like the cages weren't locked properly while the zookeeper was out spreading the meat around for the lions; him being in there with them was not a usual occurrence.

Regardless, given the fact that they were eventually scared off by a metal trash can hitting the ground NEAR them, I think I would make a shot into the dirt nearby, if I could; now that I know that tidbit of information, at least. If they didn't stop then, I'd shoot at what parts of them were available, for as long as they were available, in an attempt to scare them off. Those animals, in that pen, are not nearly as endangered as the zoo keeper who is also in that pen.

I agree, the lion population must be larger than the zoo keeper population around the world.
    So I would try to save the zoo keeper even If I have to kill two lions.
    The zoo keeper ARE the endangered exotic species, especially if they keep feeding lions like that. :D
    Actually the lion is not part of the "endangered" species but part of the "vulnerable" species according to the IUCN.
    The "vulnerable" is a notch under "endangered".
    Which, I guess, means it's fine to kill but not too much at a time.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I'm not shooting. The lion(s) shouldn't have to die just because they're forced to live in an environment that's not natural for them and they're doing what lions do. Now, if they in fact volunteered to live in these cirrcumstances and signed a contract agreeing not to eat the zoo keeper, I might rethink.
    :popcorn:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is why zoo's have snipers strategically placed throughout the grounds.

Seriously OP, I'm not gonna shoot, if for no other reason than I'm not that good of a shot. I'm gonna grab my daughter, and head in a different direction. I'll feel bad for the zoo keeper, but it is clearly a situation well outside of what I can possibly provide any significant help.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The only thing I'm shooting is video. I can't hit squat with a handgun at that distance, let alone a beautiful, exotic animal that's rolling around playing with it's food.
    Besides, I'll need evidence for the lawsuit (emotional pain and suffering) as well as something to sell to the network news.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    This is a tough one because you would have the means to help someone, but is it worth the financial and legal suicide of drawing and firing a gun? Don't get me wrong, I'm an alright shot, but a pistol isn't a sniper rifle, you aren't guaranteed you're going to hit where you are aiming with adrenaline running. Your point of the guy surviving 10 minutes of mauling really backs up what I'm about to say. Imagine you miss the lion and shoot the zookeeper? You've actually done more harm than good if the man could have otherwise lived.

This is ultimately a question of how altruistic you are. Would you risk legal trouble (or bodily harm should someone attack you mistaking your intentions) to potentially save another's life? Or do you carry solely to look out for #1? Personally, in this situation, I would side more with the "He was asking for it" crowd because he wasn't going about a normal day in a normal place. He signed up for a risky job, and was apparently being at least mildly careless in his high-risk job. It's just not worth possibly losing my life over his series of decisions that led to him to doing the cha cha with Simba.

Now, in the heat of the moment based on the nuances of the situation, might a make a different call? Who knows, but for now I'm going with "no, I wouldn't shoot a 9mm through a chain-link fence at a lion mauling a man in downtown Indianapolis with children and possibly undercover cops around."

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best chance for both the lion and the keeper to survive this unlikely situation, alert the zoo staff. They have plans for this sort of thing and tools (tranquilizer gun etc) to deal with it. You start shooting and they have a whole different set of things to worry about, like "OMG a crazy man is shooting in the zoo"

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Hypothetically if myself, my loved ones, or others with me I have an obligation to protect are not in danger, I'm not shooting.

There's not a chance I'd ever pull on an animal inside a cage. If you feel like you can cage a lion and walk in there to feed it, good for you.

I'll put the video on youtube!

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    There's a local fair doing a large cats show....I suppose you could negate a lot of people' dodgy-ness by changing the setting.

Circular cage no more than 50 ft across with a trainer and a Tiger inside of it. Spectators are in a semi-circular pattern for viewing, and this not being a zoo, there are not trank guns and high priced attorneys to contend with.

I'm guessing there are some more shooters in this scenario.

....especially the BlueEagle since he will be OCing his glock 22 to every fair anywhere from now on. :)

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010

I thought about making a crack about the Carmel Zoo, but it wouldn't be in good taste (except maybe for the lion).

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Careless employee left a gate open/unlatched, he's in the pen where Lions are FORCED to live outside of their natural element, they are probably hungry, Lion is doing what is in his nature, children around to witness me kill an animal, possibility of hitting the wrong target, ricochets, trail on other side of pen with possible innocent victims...

Not shooting. Nature will take its course. Although I will stay and watch. Teach my daughter a lesson to "not play stupid games"

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I expect the zoo to have professionals who are far more versed in I regarding the proper protocol for feeding their animals.

In your hypothetical, I do nothing. Again, I expect the zoo to have protocol that doesn't allow such an attack and, if one should occur, protocol for ending it without my involvement. If it doesn't happen, I don't believe the situation rises to the level of my involvement.

Top Bottom