• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I'm left-handed. Crossbreed's purse defender can fit into a regular purse and can be ordered for lefties. I like mine a lot. I got a CC purse at Cabela's that is ambidextrous. It's ok.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You may want to look on Ebay once you find a purse you like. I have found some good deals there on Coronado (my preferred brand based on the quality) purses. Mine is not ambidextrous but there may be some available.

I like that cc pocket can be locked so if I am visiting someone's home or have visitors that may have small children, I can prevent them from getting into my purse. When I am shopping or out in public, I don't set my purse down where anyone else could get it. At home, I may have it in a closet or something and would not want a child to sneak into it and have access to my pistol.

The Coronado that I have also has a reinforced strap that has metal in it so it cannot be cut off of me. It can be carried cross body which allows me to have my gun close and in a position that is easier to draw out of the purse if needed.

Whatever you buy, practice removing your pistol and taking aim with it so you get comfortable before you would ever need to do so for self defense.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    It just seems like a bad idea to carry off body. So many extra things can go wrong. Somebody can try and snatch your purse then you are in a wrestling match over it. You also have to go through more steps if you need to use your gun which in a high stress situation can add that much more possibility of failure. What if you get knocked to the ground and your purse ends up in a position where you can't even get to your gun?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    While purse carry isn't the ideal way to carry, it is a good option for those times when it is difficult to wear something that allows you to conceal your firearm. Wearing a dress for instance. You definitely have to be very vigilant about where you put your purse and such. When away from home, I never put my purse down. If grocery shopping, I wear it cross body most of the time. It is never unattended in the cart. When dining out, it is on my lap...never hanging on the back of a chair or setting on a chair next to me. Any purse hanging on the back of a chair is easy pickings for a thief. If they don't take the purse itself, it is easy for them to grab your wallet, checkbook, etc.

I carry IWB 99% of the time, but there are times when it is very difficult to conceal so I will use my purse. Sometimes, I carry both ways.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Look into Can Can Concealment. If I can't wear my Flashbang Ava IWB, then I'm either wearing one of Can Can's Belly Bands or Garter Holsters. Then I always know where my sidearm is, and I can use it if necessary.
    That said, my Maxpedition bag that I take to the range has a dedicated pistol pocket. It's crossbody, so you can easily access your pistol if necessary with both hands. Someone mentioned Vera Bradley a ways back. Don't do it. They fired all their workers, and moved overseas. Vera Bradley hates America. BUT Hiding Hilda rehired some of their skill and now makes cc purses in Ft Wayne.

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    While purse carry isn't the ideal way to carry, it is a good option for those times when it is difficult to wear something that allows you to conceal your firearm. Wearing a dress for instance. You definitely have to be very vigilant about where you put your purse and such. When away from home, I never put my purse down. If grocery shopping, I wear it cross body most of the time. It is never unattended in the cart. When dining out, it is on my lap...never hanging on the back of a chair or setting on a chair next to me. Any purse hanging on the back of a chair is easy pickings for a thief. If they don't take the purse itself, it is easy for them to grab your wallet, checkbook, etc.

I carry IWB 99% of the time, but there are times when it is very difficult to conceal so I will use my purse. Sometimes, I carry both ways.

I wear dresses 99% of the time at work. I also wear my current purse crossbody and do not lay it down anywhere I'm in public. That being said, we also have several small children so I would prefer to have a locking pocket. And then adding in that I wear my purse across the right side of my body but I'm left handed makes it that much more difficult.

I do carry a knife on me when I'm carrying in my purse. I feel safer and it's much faster in closer quarters. I should probably practice self-defense tactics with my husband though. I've been pregnant damn near the last 7 years straight so I need to alter everything I did before kids.

I'm definitely going to look into the Can Can Concealment and Coronado purses. We went to Cabela's recently and not one of their selection seemed to be a good fit for me.

I do love the Urban Moxy line, but I'm wary to purchase without being able to see it and handle it in person first. I'm a tactile person.

Thanks all!

Pacer06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    My wife had one and carried it for several years until it wore out. Then one thing she didn't like was that it was not big enough for all of what she likes to carry in her purse, so she always had to have a second purse to carry that stuff. Where can a i find larger conceled carry purses?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I bought my first purse thru Cabelas. My second one I bought on Ebay...same as the first one I had only in a different color.

Ebay has a lot of them (new) for sale. The Well Armed Woman site may also have purses...they have many concealed carry items on their site for sale.

I have also seen a good selection at some gun shows if you prefer to buy in person rather than online.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    NRA Store has some, but also look at the options from Crossbreed Holsters. They have a modular system that is an insert for almost any purse and turns one of the pockets into a dedicated CCW holster pocket by using one of they velcro backed kydex holster bodies.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife owns 3 different concealed carry purses. Lots of online sources. Her last purse came from the local gun shop which is slowly turning the whole upstairs into a purse showroom.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    My wife owns 3 different concealed carry purses. Lots of online sources. Her last purse came from the local gun shop which is slowly turning the whole upstairs into a purse showroom.

Hey, what shop? My wife wants to get serious about carrying and wants more firepower than the little LCP she has now. Also she has been trying some of my holsters, etc, to get an idea of what she can tolerate for on-person carry.

Thanks in advance.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hey, what shop? My wife wants to get serious about carrying and wants more firepower than the little LCP she has now. Also she has been trying some of my holsters, etc, to get an idea of what she can tolerate for on-person carry.

Thanks in advance.

Bite the Bullet in Seymour carries purses. Talk to Haylie. I know she is really interested in carrying more products for women. Inventory is a bit low right now because of the holidays.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Bite the Bullet in Seymour carries purses. Talk to Haylie. I know she is really interested in carrying more products for women. Inventory is a bit low right now because of the holidays.

Ok, thanks. I see a road trip ahead. I'll give the shop a call in 2018!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Was at BTB yesterday. Their inventory is super low on everything. The owner is going to work on reordering and restocking next week. But don’t expect pre-holiday inventory. Parts, holsters and accessories he will refill, guns and gift type items less so.

I hate to restart the off body vs on body debate. Let’s just leave it as if a person decides to carry in a purse, briefcase or man bag there are certain considerations. Namely you can’t leave the darn thing laying around. Of course that is a consideration even without the handgun being introduced. My main concern would be a child getting into the bag. Secondary to this would be thieves. Trust me there are things in my wife’s purse that would be a much bigger deal if it were lost then a gun. Wallet, ID, keys, cell phone.... Yea losing a $500 gun sucks, but still cheaper and easier to replace them the cell phone. Yes a criminal gets a gun, but I assume they have a gun already. Difference is my guns all work and have good ammo in them. Off body is less the ideal but I would rather the ladies in my life have access to a suitable weapon as opposed to 1) not carrying one or 2) opting for a craptastic micro .380

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    No offense to anyone using CC purse, but imho I don't like the idea of not having a weapon directly on the body. Purses can be snatched, left by accident, stolen, etc etc. I've also read of a couple cases where toddlers find their ways into a purse and shot the mom/grandma. Let's face it, most women don't attend to their purses all 100% of the time. It may be concealed, but it's not much different from leaving a weapon in briefcase or a backpack which you don't have custody of it all of the time

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Purse carry has the same responsibilities as carrying in a holster.

You need to use a purse designed for concealed carry. It should have a pocket designated for just the firearm with nothing else in that pocket. My purse has a lock on the zipper to that pocket so it can be locked for safety to prevent a child from having access to the firearm. Mine also has a steel band inside of the shoulder strap so that someone cannot cut it off of me and snatch it. If I am in a crowded area or an area where I feel I am more at risk of someone trying to steal the purse, I wear it cross body rather than just over my shoulder. When shopping, I wear it cross body and never leave it in the shopping cart.

I don't routinely carry in my purse and prefer to carry in a holster on my belt, but there are times when my clothing does not allow me to carry that way. If I am wearing a dress or something that does not cover my pistol easily, purse carry is an option that still allows me to have my firearm. Sometimes, I do both...purse carry and BUG on my person.

Top Bottom