• ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Hello.

I am moving from Virginia to Indiana in a month or so.

I have my VA CCP, and I know IN has reciprocity with VA, but will this be void once I change my residence to Indiana? If so, will I just have to be without CCP for the 6-8 weeks it takes to get my Indiana permit, or is there some other way around this? I've checked with VA and my VA permit is valid until it expires, even if I move out of state.

Basically my question is: does Indiana honor reciprocity for residents, or only for non-residents?

Thanks!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Unfortunately, the above posts are correct (Although once the most recent frenzy dies down, you should be able to get a LTCH much quicker. It was only a couple week wait before Sandy Hook).

However, it does suggest an idea for an update to the Indiana Code. We have code in place such that when a LTCH expires, your current LTCH is valid until your new one comes through [1].

I'd propose we enact similar code for people who relocate to Indiana who have a valid carry license from the state from which they're locating. So, if such folks apply for an IN LTCH within 30 days of becoming an Indiana resident, then their previous state's license is valid until the new IN LTCH is issued.

I like it.

[1] - IC 35-47-2-6b - if filed withing 30 dys of expiration.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Spoke to a close LEO friend the other day. He said the wait is now 7-8 MONTHS! Said he applied for his renewal in Dec. & got it in June.
    I applied for renewal in mid-May. From what hes saying... I may not see it 'til January!:scratch:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    When you move - apply for the lifetime LTCH - and do everything electronically and L1 (morphotrust) for the prints.
    without anything other than posts on forums / web sites - it does seem that renewals and 4 yr applications are taking longer than new lifetime LTCH's ...

ISP just added staff and it is supposed to be going faster - but we (Indiana) are adding new LTCH holders at a record pace this year.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Spoke to a close LEO friend the other day. He said the wait is now 7-8 MONTHS! Said he applied for his renewal in Dec. & got it in June.
    I applied for renewal in mid-May. From what hes saying... I may not see it 'til January!:scratch:

My brother's license arrived today, he turned everything in June 3.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Well that's too bad. Hopefully by September they'll be able to speed up the processing.

I'd propose we enact similar code for people who relocate to Indiana who have a valid carry license from the state from which they're locating. So, if such folks apply for an IN LTCH within 30 days of becoming an Indiana resident, then their previous state's license is valid until the new IN LTCH is issued.

Kentucky just did this. They have a 6 month residency requirement for CCP, so anyone who moved to Kentucky basically had to wait 6 months before even applying, then wait to get their permit.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Or better yet go to constitutional carry ... (hey I am allowed to dream) ... BTW sb0 - Welcome to Indiana. - and INGO.

Looking at how things have gone over the last few years, I think it could happen. Arkansas just passed it, 5 states now.

And thanks!

fgv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Terre Hauute
    I applied for my LTCH license about 3 weeks ago and was told there is a 4 month wait. Local police station says there is a backlog of 4000 applications.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    ...and, just for the record ('cuz someone's gotta do it ;-), Indiana isn't a concealed carry state; you can carry any way you please, including OC in an ankle holster while you're wearing shorts ...and, for those of you who do, post a picture so we can all share the laughter (remember, we'd be laughing with you, not at you!).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom