Concealed carry - These Tells Might Be Giving You Away!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    In my experience, most people are very unobservant. Unless you're open carrying, most people won't pick up on things mentioned in the video. Even open carrying, people frequently don't even notice the gun.

Now, I notice the things mentioned in the video and think many of us do. I assume law enforcement is trained to look for these things as well.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    In my experience, most people are very unobservant. Unless you're open carrying, most people won't pick up on things mentioned in the video. Even open carrying, people frequently don't even notice the gun.

Now, I notice the things mentioned in the video and think many of us do. I assume law enforcement is trained to look for these things as well.
    In 15 years of open carry I’d say most people don’t even notice that. Exceptions are people sitting down and children at eye level to your firearm. I once talked to a woman while holding my dog on a leash for 20 minutes, before she said “OH! You have a gun!!”. Obviously you get all kinds and some people likely notice but don’t show any signs, but I’d say that’s on the rare side.

I would suspect that people carrying firearms are more likely to notice other people doing the same. Then there’s always the guy that claims he can spot all concealed weapons…….

A couple of common questions I get open carry are, “Is that legal?” “Why are you carrying a gun?” And do you REALLY need to carry a gun here in little ol xxxxxx? So, some people do notice, but I’d guess a minority. Plus, I like to have a ready, valid, non threatening answer to those and other questions should someone notice and decide to ask questions. I enjoy talking to people, and try my best to be a good “ambassador” for open carry. I’ve probably had several hundred conversations about guns/open carry and seven negative ones in 15 years. Which wouldn’t have happened if I was well concealed.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I agree.

We don't want to fall victim to believing that all of those you run into will overlook any errors you might have in your concealment though. To a lot of folks, your carry won't matter. To others, your gun toting might matter to them, but might not be brought up for a number of reasons, good and bad?

Something to keep in mind is that we should not assume because others do not "say something" that they missed seeing that you are carrying.
    How many times do you notice others carrying and feel it's appropriate to point it out to them or start a conversation about it?
    Could be that in their minds, you noticed nothing?

:)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    In 15 years of open carry I’d say most people don’t even notice that. Exceptions are people sitting down and children at eye level to your firearm. I once talked to a woman while holding my dog on a leash for 20 minutes, before she said “OH! You have a gun!!”. Obviously you get all kinds and some people likely notice but don’t show any signs, but I’d say that’s on the rare side.

I would suspect that people carrying firearms are more likely to notice other people doing the same. Then there’s always the guy that claims he can spot all concealed weapons…….

A couple of common questions I get open carry are, “Is that legal?” “Why are you carrying a gun?” And do you REALLY need to carry a gun here in little ol xxxxxx? So, some people do notice, but I’d guess a minority. Plus, I like to have a ready, valid, non threatening answer to those and other questions should someone notice and decide to ask questions. I enjoy talking to people, and try my best to be a good “ambassador” for open carry. I’ve probably had several hundred conversations about guns/open carry and seven negative ones in 15 years. Which wouldn’t have happened if I was well concealed.
    I believe more people notice than say something. Maybe a 50/50 minus the ones that are not buried in their phone. Most know (areas of the state and or country obviously vary this) but most folks know it is legal if it is (which one probably wouldn’t be in that case)

A few that might take issue might say something in a derogatory way or question. Some are just generally curious and might start a conversation

As for myself using and carrying firearms since 1986 job wise I just do my assessment on a method of carry, holster and firearm choice and their awareness. And rate them in my head as yeah they probably won’t fair well to that one is so so to that dude is probably squared away.

But in the end it’s not my business unless they are so unsafe that one should mention something but I have never seen that in the wild in a store. Just some ranges

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    It all begins with choices. Which firearm to carry? IWB or OWB holster? What kind of cover/concealment garment? Spare ammo carry?

How you dress does make you noticed in a crowd. I stay away from Gun company hats.
    Untucked flannel shirt is common. Photog vests...kinda obvious, fanny pack...same

Firearm choice is wide open. A J frame revolver vs a Ruger GP100 is easy. Small autos vs full size
    Glock or 1911. Spare ammo is also a must conceal as it gives away your firearm.

Continues patting your firearm to check it, reaching overhead to a top shelf shows a peek a boo to your pistol/holster. Sitting down with gun side concealed, facing door or cash register might save you a big surprise. Don't get your firearm handle hooked on a chair back. Pistol hits floor, embarassing.

Don't leave it exposed on passenger seat of your car, people can see thru most windows.
    Last: Don't show your buddies, or brag it up at the bar. Your private business is yours.
    Good luck. Don't get made.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Don't show your buddies, or brag it up at the bar. Your private business is yours.

I don't think enough is said about this. Loose lips sink ships. Keep your yap shut.

Over time, even friends, family or coworkers, that know you carry, might put you in an unhappy spot. While it may not be lethal, you cannot know what is being said about "the gun guy," behind your back. Sometimes after years you might get little clues about what "friends" might be saying about you behind your back.

In recent years, I've had long time confidants blert out really stupid :poop: in public settings, showing just how much they do NOT understand the idea of EDC and self defense.

:n00b:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My son and I were in a local gas station paying for items. The lady in front of us was just rambling and babbling on about nothing, seems like she was just one of those crazy types. The cashier lady finally told her she had other customers to attend to. She got out of line and then stepped behind us. My son's holster was peeking out from under his hoodie and she said in a loud voice, " Do you know you have a gun?" He just looked at her and said, "yes, ma'am" and turned away from her. I kept my eye on her and she just looked at him, shook her head and walked out babbling about nothing. The cashier said she is in there all the time bugging the staff and customers.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I agree with the assessment that (mostly) only people who carry will ever notice an EDC properly carried. I am 6' and 215#, I have lots of places to put various size guns. My youngest (41) daughter (41) is 5' and 120#. She is a weight-lifter, and it shows. She utilizes a few carry options that I think are way too obvious: belly band, 4 o'clock IWB or appendix, all covered with a light sweater. I keep telling her, "If I can see it, so can others." She has told me a few times, "Dad, NOBODY looking at me is looking for a gun. I'd have to wear it around my neck, hanging between the girls for any GUY to notice it."

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    My takeaway after watching the video is that I should put away the Punisher t-shirt and BDU pants and start dressing like a grandmother.

That might look a little weird with the whole 5 o'clock shadow and Adam's apple but hey, it's all in how you 'sell' it right?
    (my mental picture went immediately to Mrs. Doubtfire)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with the assessment that (mostly) only people who carry will ever notice an EDC properly carried. I am 6' and 215#, I have lots of places to put various size guns. My youngest (41) daughter (41) is 5' and 120#. She is a weight-lifter, and it shows. She utilizes a few carry options that I think are way too obvious: belly band, 4 o'clock IWB or appendix, all covered with a light sweater. I keep telling her, "If I can see it, so can others." She has told me a few times, "Dad, NOBODY looking at me is looking for a gun. I'd have to wear it around my neck, hanging between the girls for any GUY to notice it."

:postpics:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I assume law enforcement is trained to look for these things as well.
    Yes they are. I got a chuckle the other night on my way to a match. I had a safari land GLS on my right Hip, empty as the gun was bagged. pulled up next to my neighbor LEO to have a chat. During our discussion He casually asked me if I'm headed to a match.

I was driving away before it dawned on me He noticed the holster across our 2 vehicles in the dark. Props to him. His situational awareness was high.

Top Bottom